Recommitted Ben King [extends contract to 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course we’ll have to pay those guys, just like you’ll have to pay Rowell, Anderson, Rankine, Sexton ect.
Yeah, the club must be fairly happy with finances at the moment as they had openly said they would be looking for big recruits this year.
The finances were in a shambles when Evans and Dew took over in 2017.
That was a large part of the reason that we were happy enough for May, Scrimshaw, Martin, Lyons etc.. to leave. Think they have been a bit more responsible with spending and suggested they are no longer in the game of playing overs to keep players.

If Ben King's salary will increase to 550k as has been suggested once he enters his 3rd and 4th year then I am more than happy to pay him that. The guy is equal second on the goal kicking currently.

Will just wait and see what happens in another 2.5 years.

Simon Lethlean never said that Ben wanted to go home.

What he did say, when asked how he found out about Ben's contract extension, was that Ben's father had called him that weekend to discuss the new offer presented to them from the GC and Lethlean reinforced that the offer was too good to refuse and he'd be crazy not to take it.

Now, why would the family of a player call the Head of Football at another club to talk to them about a pending contact offer if there wasn't already an open dialogue between the two parties about that player potentially moving to that club at some stage?
Do you know what Max's contract is valued at?

Assuming (and it is a big if) that Ben King wants to return to Victoria after his contract is up, there is no guarantee he will end up at the Saints.

I could think of at least 3 Vic Clubs (Hawthorn, Essendon and Collingwood) that could offer King not only more money, but much more lucrative post football opportunities (like in real estate or business ventures etc)

The lure of wanting to play alongside his twin and or his club he supported may not be as strong as it may seem (esp with regards to his post footy career opportunities, which I am led to believe was a significant factor in Dylan Shiel choosing to sign with Essendon)

Happy to be proven wrong though and have no ill feeling towards St Kilda at all (great to see Ratts succeeding there)

Yeah, the club must be fairly happy with finances at the moment as they had openly said they would be looking for big recruits this year.
The finances were in a shambles when Evans and Dew took over in 2017.
That was a large part of the reason that we were happy enough for May, Scrimshaw, Martin, Lyons etc.. to leave. Think they have been a bit more responsible with spending and suggested they are no longer in the game of playing overs to keep players.

If Ben King's salary will increase to 550k as has been suggested once he enters his 3rd and 4th year then I am more than happy to pay him that. The guy is equal second on the goal kicking currently.

Will just wait and see what happens in another 2.5 years.
Yeh looks like you guys have finally started to get things in place, and whilst a lot of people have called for the ‘plastic’ clubs to fail I’ve actually been the opposite. Think if every club can become strong off field and have a period of success on it then the competition is far better off. Would much rather that then the constant moving of teams/franchises around the place like we see in American sports

Simon Lethlean never said that Ben wanted to go home.

What he did say, when asked how he found out about Ben's contract extension, was that Ben's father had called him that weekend to discuss the new offer presented to them from the GC and Lethlean reinforced that the offer was too good to refuse and he'd be crazy not to take it.

Now, why would the family of a player call the Head of Football at another club to talk to them about a pending contact offer if there wasn't already an open dialogue between the two parties about that player potentially moving to that club at some stage?

Thanks, saved me the effort.

Could you provide the link to the interview? I would like to listen to it.

Yeh and it’s the exact same narrative for players like Treloar, Shiel, Smith, Hogan ect ect who did end up leaving. Some players go, some players stay. No need to get to your knickers in a knot about it though.

Difference is I’m not saying there’s no chance he is leaving unlike those throwing all their eggs in the basket saying he is definitely leaving.

No knickers in a knot. As I said, amused awaiting the outrage when a player shows loyalty to his club.
Oh we let Shiel go a year early to clear out cap space.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back