Prediction Best 22 for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

With all the other first gamers i'm looking forward to playing at some stage this year i had forgotten about Hibberd.

Yeah i just don't see Hansen being the answer for rnd 1 going on one average pre season game.
I'd go with Durdin and EVW who have both had a better preperation.
Win or lose we have to start putting faith into these players and the only way to do that is rewarding them with a spot in the 22.
Nah I still stick by Hansen. I was also basing it off the assumption that he will play in the VFL this week.

Look I have no problem if they play Durdin, I just think a round 1 AFL game is different and is pretty full on in comparison to JLT; something Durdin hasnt experienced yet (well maybe its time you could say :)). Its just my own personal faith with Hansen, especially if he plays VFL this week. And I want them getting games into him in 'AFL' as early as possible as I see him as an important role in our side. It allows Tarrant to not get bashed and crashed from a floating role and for him (Tarrant) take the number 1 forward, Thompson might be a bit past it and Hansen plays that loose role very well. I'm just saying I'll go with Lachie at the moment :)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lachie given the nod for Round 1 and, in all honesty, I wouldn't hate it either.

Come at me.

Actually, that could get a little messy. Perhaps run at me instead.

Yeah i just don't see Hansen being the answer for rnd 1 going on one average pre season game.
I'd go with Durdin and EVW who have both had a better preperation.
Win or lose we have to start putting faith into these players and the only way to do that is rewarding them with a spot in the 22.
Spot on. Its time to play the youth that deserve a crack. Durdin, EVW, Hrovat, Mountford, Simpkin, Hibberd etc. are the future. We need to get these guys to 50+ games as quickly as possible for long term success.

Guys like Hansen, Gibson, Swallow are close to being moved on due to this, along with Waite who is still our best forward but 34.

Last edited:
Well I only went to one of them, the Hawthorn game at Arden St, but I watched the other 2 on TV. So, yeah.

I just don't think Swallow is best 22 in a team with Cunnington, JZ and Dumont. Clarke offers more upside.
Against the GWS (one of the best midfields in the comp) Swallow was our best. Until JZ, Clark and Dumont show otherwise, at his best he's better than these 3. He's looking fit and strong, and with out the captaincy to worry about he's set for a big year.

^ I hope you're right about him having a better year. Yes, he was better against GWS but that's more because he was 2016 Swallow in the first 2, which is clearly outside the 22. Both JZ and Dumont had better JLT campaigns and Clarke is improving in a role that we crucially need filled.

Against the GWS (one of the best midfields in the comp) Swallow was our best. Until JZ, Clark and Dumont show otherwise, at his best he's better than these 3. He's looking fit and strong, and with out the captaincy to worry about he's set for a big year.

I'm not sure I'd agree with your assessment of Swallow in that GWS game / JLT but he was solid and in our best mids last week agreed. Dumont and Cunnington have been our best over all 3 games IMHO. Swallow still does some things very well... but he breaks chains of play that bit too often. Looks in better nick than last year though definitely.

^ I hope you're right about him having a better year. Yes, he was better against GWS but that's more because he was 2016 Swallow in the first 2, which is clearly outside the 22. Both JZ and Dumont had better JLT campaigns and Clarke is improving in a role that we crucially need filled.
Mate, I'm all over Dumont. Watched in SANFL and it was clear he could play. I hope we don't pigeon hole him into an inside mid. The guy can play outside and half forward no problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Durdin has been better then Hansen this preseason. Based on that he deserves to be selected ahead of Hansen.

That's cool, DC, but tangential. My post was solely concerned with the subject of Lachie.

(Just on that though....as credible as placing Lachie and Durds in an 'either/or' type scenario may be, it's still ultimately a Bigfooty construct. And therefore, not something I'm taking as unassailable fact.)

But yeah, was just saying that I could indeed envisage the selectors naming Lachie and that, if they do, I won't be getting bent out of shape about it. I think he still has something to offer as a player at the top level. For the moment, I'm happy to back him in.

That's cool, DC, but tangential. My post was solely concerned with the subject of Lachie.

(Just on that though....as credible as placing Lachie and Durds in an 'either/or' type scenario may be, it's still ultimately a Bigfooty construct. And therefore, not something I'm taking as unassailable fact.)

But yeah, was just saying that I could indeed envisage the selectors naming Lachie and that, if they do, I won't be getting bent out of shape about it. I think he still has something to offer as a player at the top level. For the moment, I'm happy to back him in.

Missed opportunity to 'Arthur Cloke' tangential into tangenital.

His whole gibbo, swallow and now Hansen schtick is extremely tangenital.

And I've heard from a very reliable source he enjoys going transgenital on weekends.

Wow.

champagne_comedy.gif

And where the hell did you get Swallow from? Don't recall pumping up the blokes tyres in years (if ever), so you've obviously pulled that one straight out of your southernmost orifice.

But as I've said to you previously, Arj, the fact that this s**t clearly continues to irk you, is all the encouragement I need.

Wow.

champagne_comedy.gif

And where the hell did you get Swallow from? Don't recall pumping up the blokes tyres in years (if ever), so you've obviously pulled that one straight out of your southernmost orifice.

But as I've said to you previously, Arj, the fact that this s**t clearly continues to irk you, is all the encouragement I need.

I wouldn't say it irks me.

I just think you listen to the footy, but you don't hear it but wheneverer I read your posts on Gibbo and Hansen, all I can see is the movie 'Thank you for Smoking'.

Spot on. Its time to play the youth that deserve a crack. Durdin, EVW, Hrovat, Mountford, Simpkin, Hibberd etc. are the future. We need to get these guys to 50+ games as quickly as possible for long term success.

Guys like Hansen, Gibson, Swallow are close to being moved on due to this, along with Waite who is still our best forward but 34.

I want to see all the new guys play and am really looking forward to seeing how they go... But maybe not all at ounce in the first game of the season.
I'm sure the selectors have a plan to gradually introduce players throughout the year and give them the best chance of success by learning from experienced players. Wholesale changes for the sake of youth could be more detrimental than positive.

How about, best young 22? I'm tempted to include Ahern here on the wing or HF. If it was next year I would!

F: Jed, BennyB, Rat
HF: Jy, Wood, Wags
C: Ats, Cunners, Hibbo (gotcha)
HB: Lmac, Jmac, Wright
B: Marley, Durdin, EVW
FOL: Captin Jack, Maj, Frog
INT: Garner, Clarke, Turner, Jacobs
EMG:McKay, Mullett, Mountford

How about, best young 22? I'm tempted to include Ahern here on the wing or HF. If it was next year I would!

F: Jed, BennyB, Rat
HF: Jy, Wood, Wags
C: Ats, Cunners, Hibbo (gotcha)
HB: Lmac, Jmac, Wright
B: Marley, Durdin, EVW
FOL: Captin Jack, Maj Frog
INT: Garner, Clarke, Turner, Jacobs
EMG:McKay, Mullett, Mountford

If you guys have a magic frog just take the cup now we surrender!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back