Best 22 in 3-4 weeks time

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been struggling with this one mentally over the last few weeks. Parfitt out.

Potential ins between now and R16: Kolo, Danger, Henry, Holmes, Sav, Menegola.

All best 22? Possibly. But who goes out? Dahl, Coop...

I wouldn't have Sav anywhere near the Best 22 atm.

I've been struggling with this one mentally over the last few weeks. Parfitt out.

Potential ins between now and R16: Kolo, Danger, Henry, Holmes, Sav, Menegola.

All best 22? Possibly. But who goes out? Dahl, Coop...
All of those except Sav make it back if they are all available.

Dahlhaus, Stephens, Zuthrie, Miers and O’Connor the most vulnerable IMO. Zuthrie would be very stiff.

No matter who we bring in and who goes out we can’t predict injuries.

A few nights ago no one would’ve excepted Parfitt to be out for the following month.

I'm going to throw up a big question. Is Selwood in our best 22?

Our best 3 mids playing right now are Guthrie, Atkins and Parfitt. Selwood is getting caught with the ball more regularly and his disposal is struggling more than I've seen it, perhaps in the rush to try and keep up with the game. He's never been great defensively.

There's still Danger and Holmes to come back. Blicavs is best used as that defensive mid/wing and 2nd ruck rather than a lock down defender.

He's still gutsy as ever and at worst he's in our best 22 now given injuries. I just hope if he slows down more in the second half of the season we're willing to make a tough decision for the good of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Tuohy. No Menegola. No Kolo.
Stephens in.

Too radical for me.
3 locks left out and one fringe youth left in.

Our best 3 mids playing right now are Guthrie, Atkins and Parfitt. Selwood is getting caught with the ball more regularly and his disposal is struggling more than I've seen it, perhaps in the rush to try and keep up with the game. He's never been great defensively.

There's still Danger and Holmes to come back. Blicavs is best used as that defensive mid/wing and 2nd ruck rather than a lock down defender.

He's still gutsy as ever and at worst he's in our best 22 now given injuries. I just hope if he slows down more in the second half of the season we're willing to make a tough decision for the good of the team.
Selwood has arguably been our best midfielder this year. So yes he is best 22.

Geelong rank among midfielders. (per game average)

Disposals: 2nd (2nd)
Tackles: 4th (2nd)
Clearances: Equal 1st (2nd)
Contested Possessions: 3rd (2nd)

No Tuohy. No Menegola. No Kolo.
Stephens in.

Too radical for me.
3 locks left out and one fringe youth left in.

Selwood has arguably been our best midfielder this year. So yes he is best 22.

Geelong rank among midfielders. (per game average)

Disposals: 2nd (2nd)
Tackles: 4th (2nd)
Clearances: Equal 1st (2nd)
Contested Possessions: 3rd (2nd)

You had similar concerns re De Koning before the season started and look what has now eminated. I still maintain we need a sprinkling of youth and experience. If we do the "same old" then nothing will change. I'd be prioritising games to Stephens to see if he can continue to develop to be a consideration for selection come finals.

Kolo has had a terrific year but the ghosts of old are too strong for me to have him (in my team) as a lock. I want to see him play well in a high pressure game before he's in my 22. Menegola is back in the 22 at the expense of Miers. But both are on the fringe. Clearly Menegola has missed a lot of footy but not withstanding that, his finals record is poor. Another that I think is borderline.

Selwood would be top 5 in the best and fairest at this stage. I would be looking to rest him fairly often in the run in though.

I think we can cover him occasionally, though I very much doubt we would have won on Friday without him.

You had similar concerns re De Koning before the season started and look what has now eminated. I still maintain we need a sprinkling of youth and experience. If we do the "same old" then nothing will change. I'd be prioritising games to Stephens to see if he can continue to develop to be a consideration for selection come finals.

Kolo has had a terrific year but the ghosts of old are too strong for me to have him (in my team) as a lock. I want to see him play well in a high pressure game before he's in my 22. Menegola is back in the 22 at the expense of Miers. But both are on the fringe. Clearly Menegola has missed a lot of footy but not withstanding that, his finals record is poor. Another that I think is borderline.
How does one play in one of those 'high pressure' games if you're borderline willing to include him?? Seems to me to be a conflation between 'Best 22 in 3-4 weeks' and 'Best 22 for Finals'.

I think everyone had concerns over Sam De Koning before the season. From Taylor-Henderson-Lonergan triumvirate to what we thought was Blicavs and SDK.

I'd be asking Stephens to step back for a couple of games and do well. 9 touches cannot see continued selection. Quiet nights saw Dempsey and Evans dropped. Largely moot now as I suspect Parfitt's hand will see him get games alongside Dangerfield and Menegola's returns next week or the one after. Won't see too many centre bounces I'd have thought though.

How does one play in one of those 'high pressure' games if you're borderline willing to include him?? Seems to me to be a conflation between 'Best 22 in 3-4 weeks' and 'Best 22 for Finals'.

I think everyone had concerns over Sam De Koning before the season. From Taylor-Henderson-Lonergan triumvirate to what we thought was Blicavs and SDK.

I'd be asking Stephens to step back for a couple of games and do well. 9 touches cannot see continued selection. Quiet nights saw Dempsey and Evans dropped. Largely moot now as I suspect Parfitt's hand will see him get games alongside Dangerfield and Menegola's returns next week or the one after. Won't see too many centre bounces I'd have thought though.

I fully expect all of Kolo, Menegola and Miers to play the rest of the season subject to injury. So they will get that opportunity. We are actually winning games of footy without a couple of them so I’m not sure they are critical pieces in our team.

With regard to Stephens, players have different trajectories so just because he was a bit quiet against the Dogs I don’t see it as reason to not persevere with him at this stage. Clearly ongoing quiet matches should see him dropped.

Btw, I was pretty bullish on De Koning being ready to play AFL if you check my posts albeit I didn’t see him reaching the heights he has. Again, just shows what opportunity will often show you.

Last edited:

Change username.

Yes, and comfortably so

I'm an Atkins fan and love what he's bringing to the team this year - but not sure you can call him a top 3 midfielder when he's playing a hybrid role, though his midfield time has increased over recent times

Selwood is easily (maybe frustratingly) in our top 3 midfielders this year, and likely sitting in the top 5 of the b&f as we go into the bye

I

I agree that lots of us have been mixing up (I assume that is what conflating means!! 😮) "best 22" for 3-4 weeks with best 22 if everyone available for finals. I think the best 22 for next month is not really a "thing" given people coming back from injury and also the types of teams we play (including WC and North) - it will really about the club getting people back in and (hopefully) giving some younger players some more experience...

But going beyond the next month, we have 4 of the last 5 games against top teams so it will be finals like and be a good tune up - so I expect they will want to be picking the "best 23" from round 17 onward and cross fingers that have full list to choose each week.

With a bit of luck that "finals" best 23 is a really really hard thing to narrow down to. Maybe it will end up being easier depending on how Menagola and Holmes etc come back and who actually is available.

Probably not the right thread, but given preview not open yet…the game against WC is very interesting.

Reading into prior socials….getting one for menagola and one for Neale todays suggests strongly to be that both will be going to Perth. From my view watching the VFL game I frankly throught menagola was pretty average and needed another run or two at vfl level - but maybe they think WC is VFL equivalent so lets get him in?

Neale also was non existent after qtr time but I have no issue him going back to his home town and giving Hawke a really good couple of weeks off to lay good foundation for him in the back half of the year.

I note that Frank the Tank also got coaches votes so maybe they give him another crack as they manage someone like Smith or 2E? (And of course there is the Parf spot and should also be a spot replacing Dal and maybe even Narkes?). Maximum 4-5 changes with Kolo coming back and gola and Neale? I would like to see Dempsey have another crack as well for a few games before getting all the “best 22” back for the last 5 rounds and finals?

In terms of Danger and Holimes etc I would think they should either rest (given long flight) or limited time in VFL before coming back against Richmond?

Probably not the right thread, but given preview not open yet…the game against WC is very interesting.

Reading into prior socials….getting one for menagola and one for Neale todays suggests strongly to be that both will be going to Perth. From my view watching the VFL game I frankly throught menagola was pretty average and needed another run or two at vfl level - but maybe they think WC is VFL equivalent so lets get him in?

Neale also was non existent after qtr time but I have no issue him going back to his home town and giving Hawke a really good couple of weeks off to lay good foundation for him in the back half of the year.

I note that Frank the Tank also got coaches votes so maybe they give him another crack as they manage someone like Smith or 2E? (And of course there is the Parf spot and should also be a spot replacing Dal and maybe even Narkes?). Maximum 4-5 changes with Kolo coming back and gola and Neale? I would like to see Dempsey have another crack as well for a few games before getting all the “best 22” back for the last 5 rounds and finals?

In terms of Danger and Holimes etc I would think they should either rest (given long flight) or limited time in VFL before coming back against Richmond?

They’ll give Menegola one more game if they really wanted him to be his best when he returns to afl.

Just because it’s an easy opponent doesnt mean we slack off and play unready players coming off an interrupted pre season, it’s the kind of attitude coming into these matches that ends up bottling the game.

Go in, best side available. Big win and boost percentage.

Id second this. Anyone with a niggle misses the trip, fill up with depth and youth for the trip.

Regarding best 22, who knows at this stage. I think its fair to say that we probably have 26-28(excluding injuries) players who can mount an extremely solid argument to be best 22. And thats awesome, you need quality depth. Its impossible to pick who is the best 22 though, both directly because injuries indirectly through role requirements. If Blitz and Stanley get hurt at the same time hello best 22 Sav for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back