witsend

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Now we've had a significant look at a bunch of depth and emerging players and it's getting to the pointy end of the season, here's my take on our Best 22 in about 3-4 weeks with everyone available

FB Bews DeKoning Tuohy
HB Henry Blicavs Stewart
C Smith Cuthrie Holmes
HF Duncan Cameron Atkins
FF Close Hawkins Stengle
R Stanley Danger Selwood
I/C Kolo, Parfitt, Menengola, O'Connor
Em Zuthrie, Ratagolea, Stephens/Narkle, Miers

As much as I want him to be the future, I'm not sure this is Cooper Stephens' year on displayed form. Would need to show much more impact in the 2nd half of the year to force his way into our finals team. Same with Narkle. I feel there is "something" missing. Suspect he's traded for 2023 for both our sakes. Mier's just got too many gun small forwards ahead of him a la Stengle, Close and (to some degree) Rohan. Zuthrie DESPERATELY unlucky, but will be a lock in 2023 and first in if we have ANY injuries, imo. Of course there may be slight differences dependent on our opponents structurally.

Now we've had a significant look at a bunch of depth and emerging players and it's getting to the pointy end of the season, here's my take on our Best 22 in about 3-4 weeks with everyone available

FB Bews DeKoning Tuohy
HB Henry Blicavs Stewart
C Smith Cuthrie Holmes
HF Duncan Cameron Atkins
FF Close Hawkins Stengle
R Stanley Danger Selwood

As much as I want him to be the future, I'm not sure this is Cooper Stephens' year on displayed form. Would need to show much more impact in the 2nd half of the year to force his way into our finals team. Same with Narkle. I feel there is "something" missing. Suspect he's traded for 2023 for both our sakes. Mier's just got too many gun small forwards ahead of him a la Stengle, Close and (to some degree) Rohan. Zuthrie DESPERATELY unlucky, but will be a lock in 2023 and first in if we have ANY injuries, imo. Of course there may be slight differences dependent on our opponents structurally.
Duncans a defender now. they arent changing that role.

atkins also no longer a foward either.

you need another two fowards.

one to help with marking contests which we struggle with. rohan being the only obvious choice to help here.

and miers probsbly there as well to help with goal scoring power.

oconnor and kolo to go out

I’ll be controversial and say I’d have Stephens in for Duncan. Mitch is too slow and although he rarely wastes it, he has looked very old the last 3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Wasnt duncan one of the best on ground last night? Whereas stephens one of the worst?

Duncans a defender now. they arent changing that role.

atkins also no longer a foward either.

you need another two fowards.

one to help with marking contests which we struggle with. rohan being the only obvious choice to help here.

and miers probsbly there as well to help with goal scoring power.

oconnor and kolo to go out

Seeds, I don’t place a great deal of stick in named positions other than the most obvious such as Hawkins, SDK, Stanley etc. my attempt at a team begins with the premise of who cannot be left out of the team to a significant degree. I know Atkins is now a mid. Just had to name him somewhere Selwood, Danger, Parfitt, Duncan et al aren’t. And Duncan has been playing as a Defensive mid as a consequence of the reshuffle from Henry’s absence. I believe he will play higher when Henry as back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B: Bews, De Koning, Z.Guthrie
HB: Stewart, Henry, Tuohy
C: Smith, Parfitt, Duncan
HF: Close, Cameron, Dangerfield
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Rohan

Foll: Stanley, C.Guthrie, Holmes

Int: Blicavs, Selwood, Atkins, Kolo

I’ll be controversial and say I’d have Stephens in for Duncan. Mitch is too slow and although he rarely wastes it, he has looked very old the last 3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah except for the time he came from nowhere to spoil a doggies player about to mark in the goal square?…
Maybe you were at the VFL

FB Bews DeKoning Tuohy
HB Henry Blicavs Stewart
C Smith Cuthrie Holmes
HF Duncan Cameron Atkins
FF Close Hawkins Stengle
R Stanley Danger Selwood

Not a chance O’Connor gets a gig ahead of Zuthrie.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kolodjashnij will be in the team. Is having a very good year as our 2nd tall defender and isn’t getting dropped.

Danger, Holmes, Menegola, Henry are the clear ins from the team named on Thursday.

Outs won’t matter as much. There will be the occasional resting of a veteran and players will pick up niggles as well.

Doubt we do get to see our best 22 with no one injured tbh. The game is too hard.

Last edited:
B: Kolo SDK Bews
HB: Stewart Henry (if fit) Duncan
C: Blitz Smith Cuthrie
HF: Close Cameron Atkins
F: Stengle Hawkins Parfitt
R: Stanley Selwood Danger
Int: Menegola Tuohy Holmes MOC
Sub: Rohan

MOC is vulnerable but ive kept him in just.
Kolo will stay for structure.

Next in line: Miers Zuthrie Stephens Dahl Higgins Narkle plus Ceglar (only if stanley injured).

Will be a squeeze for spots as we have about 30 who are capable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB Bews DeKoning Tuohy
HB Henry Blicavs Stewart
C Smith Cuthrie Holmes
HF Duncan Cameron Atkins
FF Close Hawkins Stengle
R Stanley Danger Selwood

Zuthrie and Rohan into that 22.

Zuthrie and Rohan into that 22.

You’re right about Rohan. Got lost in the shuffling. In for MOC. I think it’s a coin toss between Kolo and Zuthrie (FWIW I am and have been a huge Zuthrie fan. I believe he’ll be a lock next year). MC/CS seem historically to believe Kolo is Best 22.

I’m cheating

B: Bews SDK Tuohy
HB: Stewart Kolo Zuthrie
C: Duncan Guthrie Smith
HF: Menegola Cameron Parfitt
F: Stengle Hawkins Close
R: Stanley Dangerfield Selwood
Int: Blicavs Atkins Holmes Rohan

Missed out: Miers, Henry, MOC, Dahlhaus, Higgins, Ratugolea, Stephens and more

Is Menegola still a given in the best 22?

Hopefully he throws his hat in the ring and I'd love for him to bolster the midfield with a return to his best. But it's optimistic. He has always been an endurance athlete, if not the most explosive of footballers.

I'm surprised Bews is such a lock whereas O'Connor is out of everyone's team. I doubt Scott has O'Connor out of the team at all this year

Hopefully he throws his hat in the ring and I'd love for him to bolster the midfield with a return to his best. But it's optimistic. He has always been an endurance athlete, if not the most explosive of footballers.

He absolutely is. Is A grade and his defensive work is critical to our structure.

I'm surprised Bews is such a lock whereas O'Connor is out of everyone's team. I doubt Scott has O'Connor out of the team at all this year

Because mocs form has been worse. But both of them are bottom 6 inthe 22 and in danger of dropping out when we get players back.

Think we have missed him badly. Good overhead and a penetrating kick.

You’re right about Rohan. Got lost in the shuffling. In for MOC. I think it’s a coin toss between Kolo and Zuthrie (FWIW I am and have been a huge Zuthrie fan. I believe he’ll be a lock next year). MC/CS seem historically to believe Kolo is Best 22.

As recently as last year (maybe the year before, COVID has made time go past so quickly), Chris Scott is on record, multiple times saying that he believes Geelong are a better team with Ratogulea in it. I don't think that would be the case anymore, barring injuries.

Luckily, things change.

Would have zuthrie ahead of both probably. Much better user if the ball than Bews.

I like the versatility that MOC brings, but he’s a bit out of sorts at the moment. Doesn’t seem to have a clear role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back