Best 22 of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

05/06 mate

/discussion

Midfield yes 05/06 crop. One of the best midfield of the modern era full stop, let alone for us.

Overall, interesting to note the lack of 05/06 players in most people's teams. Averages 6, essentially the midfield plus Glass and sometimes Wirrpanda. Several popular choices from post 05/06 like NN, Kennedy, LeCras and Priddis with the large majority of the team being from the 92/94 era.

Based on that, have to say the 92/94 was the better team across the board. Fair call too, 2 flags including an 80 point GF win compared to one flag by under a goal. Both teams lost a GF if you look at the first group as 91-94.

Midfield yes 05/06 crop. One of the best midfield of the modern era full stop, let alone for us.

Overall, interesting to note the lack of 05/06 players in most people's teams. Averages 6, essentially the midfield plus Glass and sometimes Wirrpanda. Several popular choices from post 05/06 like NN, Kennedy, LeCras and Priddis with the large majority of the team being from the 92/94 era.

Based on that, have to say the 92/94 was the better team across the board. Fair call too, 2 flags including an 80 point GF win compared to one flag by under a goal. Both teams lost a GF if you look at the first group as 91-94.
Our 91-94 team had it all. Clean ball users, quality ball users, big goal kicking forward, great medium sized forwards, a game changing goal kicking wingman, small forwards, small backs and a bloody good dose of Mongrel.

Much better overall team compared to the 05/06 group. Dat Cox, Judd, Cousins, Kerr combo thought. Give me strength, hhhhhnnnnngggggg.

FB: Wirrpanda McIntosh Glass (vc)
HB: Worsfold(c) Jakovich Mckenna
C: Matera Kemp Cousins
HF: Lewis Kennedy Heady
FF: Lecras Sumich Matera
R: Cox Kerr Judd
I: Nicnat Priddis Hunter Mainwaring

Glass in the pocket as he plays on smalls better than McIntosh and was great zoning off.

Wirra has to be in the side, smaller agile and rebounding back who can play forward.

Not many Hunter fans out there but makes the bench for me. Bit more mongrel who can play back or forward.

Damn good side.

Hon mentions to Banfield, Hart, Pike, Embley, Braun and Waterman. Shuey, Gaff, Darling and Duggan I expect to challenge.

Reckon this just about nails it for me. Though based on the OP criteria, Mitchell has to be in there. Like Hunter for balance, definitely want two ruckmen which leaves a choice I'm not making. Drop Priddis or Mainwaring for Mitchell? Even as a hypothetical it would feel dirty.

Our 91-94 team had it all. Clean ball users, quality ball users, big goal kicking forward, great medium sized forwards, a game changing goal kicking wingman, small forwards, small backs and a bloody good dose of Mongrel.

Much better overall team compared to the 05/06 group. Dat Cox, Judd, Cousins, Kerr combo thought. Give me strength, hhhhhnnnnngggggg.

People always talk about great midfields, for me that 90's half back line is one of the best 'lines' I've seen in football. McKenna, Jakovich, Worsfold. Individually outstanding in their position, collectively suited each other so well.

Not half bad they had McIntosh, Brennan and Hart behind them to boot.

People always talk about great midfields, for me that 90's half back line is one of the best 'lines' I've seen in football. McKenna, Jakovich, Worsfold. Individually outstanding in their position, collectively suited each other so well.

What a ******* beast of a team. Loved it.

FB: Wirrpanda McIntosh Glass (vc)
HB: Worsfold(c) Jakovich Mckenna
C: Matera Kemp Mainwaring
HF: Lewis Kennedy LeCras
FF: NicNat Sumich Matera
R: Cox Judd Cousins

Int: Kerr, Mitchell, Priddis, Hunter

Or could have gone with Cousins starting forward, Kerr roving and NN on the bench.

Tough call leaving Heady out but came down to him or LeCras and LeCras has the better goals to games average.

Ok, happy now.

Oh no.....on reflection of the OP's point about potentially their best football not being at the Eagles.....where does Ross Glendinning belong in this discussion?

Last edited:

This will sound controversial but I reckon if you take away what Woosha has done as a coach, his place in the backline when based purely on his playing days, would come under pressure in the near term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gov might be a ways off but I think the other 5 are above Woosha.

Liked him as a player. Hard, never backed down led from the front but was limited.

Champion of the club. Presently THE champion of the club. But as a player I reckon he will be overtaken soon.

You can't put Mitchell in our best team ever.

He'll play one year that's it.

Just not right.:thumbsdown:

Ordinarily wouldn't. By the OP's guidelines however, Mitchell has to be in there the minute he pulls on a jumper. Still reckon Glendinning probably belongs on the same rationale.

Gov might be a ways off but I think the other 5 are above Woosha.

Liked him as a player. Hard, never backed down led from the front but was limited.

Champion of the club. Presently THE champion of the club. But as a player I reckon he will be overtaken soon.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "as a player". Based on skills, physical attributes and decision-making you'd never pick him. If you include ability to change the momentum of a game, make team-mates stand a foot taller and intimidate the opposition, he's first picked. If 2015 Eagles had John Worsfold in the team, the club would now have 4 premierships IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back