Best player from your team that didn’t win a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Richo by miles

Deledio clearly never won one with us, and time’s ticking for him. Even though the Giants are a great shot at a flag this year, can he even keep himself on the park for that? If he retires without a flag he’d be next on the list.
Is Deledio better than your Wayne Campbell, Matthew Knights types?

Actually that’s a good point
I didn’t get to see those blokes play so I completely forgot about them, I was perhaps a bit heavy handed.

Still would say Richo by miles but they probably trump Deledio.
I have them on a similar kind of level, but they were just the first names I thought of that would have missed success due to playing in the 1990’s and early 2000’s. Collingwood’s similar in that their 2000’s team probably have a better top five or so that missed out than what our top five looked like when we actually saluted.

As the title suggest.

For me it has to be Matt Priddis. Won a Brownlow in 2014, B and F in 2013, All-Australian in 2015, Played in the losing GF team in 2015 as well as 240 games between 2006 and 2017.

Gee Pridds was unlucky with the timing there. But yeah would have to agree.

Probably somebody from the real early days like Albert Mills or Col Austen.

They were likely better than Holland, Dixon, Harford, Hay etc.

Yep Col Austen was the one that came to mind for me - much more than any of the recent players who missed out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a few stars in the last couple of decades that never won one. Dougie Hawkins, Kelvin Templeton, Gary Dempsey, Scott West, Tony Liberatore, Bob Murphy and Brad Johnson who were the best since the 70’s. But Chris Grant is the best of all that era. Legitimately won the ‘best’ part of one Brownlow and could’ve won the year before too. Paul Hudson got in his way running into an open goal late in the dreaded 1997 preliminary final. Was an integral part of 2016, so is some consolation to the humble gentlemen that he is.

We had a few stars in the last couple of decades that never won one. Dougie Hawkins, Kelvin Templeton, Gary Dempsey, Scott West, Tony Liberatore, Bob Murphy and Brad Johnson who were the best since the 70’s. But Chris Grant is the best of all that era. Legitimately won the ‘best’ part of one Brownlow and could’ve won the year before too. Paul Hudson got in his way running into an open goal late in the dreaded 1997 preliminary final. Was an integral part of 2016, so is some consolation to the humble gentlemen that he is.

Arguably my favourite ever non Cat. Colossal player

Aaron Henneman.

In all seriousness, Reg Burgess came to Essendon in 54 and left in 1960 but was apparently a champion wingman at the time. Probably him or Jobe.

Steven Handley hard done by

Still remember his junk time goals in 95 to prevent us testing a 100 point margin.

Blues until recently had managed to pinch one in most decades so it may even be AFL's greatest loser Kade Simpson for us.

Aaron Henneman.

In all seriousness, Reg Burgess came to Essendon in 54 and left in 1960 but was apparently a champion wingman at the time. Probably him or Jobe.
Add to that Neale Daniher as being possibly the most talented not to win one. If he played without lingering knee issues in the mid 80s he might’ve played in 3 or 4.

Add to that Neale Daniher as being possibly the most talented not to win one. If he played without lingering knee issues in the mid 80s he might’ve played in 3 or 4.
I honestly just assumed he won it in 84 or 85, silly me...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back