Opinion Big Vickery - do you rate him?

I see Vickery as...

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I said before we drafted him that playing in the U18s that he reminded me of Spida Everitt and I still think this is the case. We started playing him more in the ruck this year and he's not just getting taps, but has the tank to start being more of a link man in the midfield as well, it didn't happen that often, but he had a couple of really good games doing this. I think we'll see even more of this in 2014 as he keeps developing both his size, strength and endurance. Can't expect him to hit his prime for another 2-3 years.

There in lies the truth of it ... this season he played nearly every game and had no injurys other than a few head aches... he cant string consistencytogether and is a softy in the pack mark .. he is a failed top ten draft pick until proven otherwise
Bird Man can you please clarify?
Why is he soft? Can't just say he's soft when there is plenty of evidence to say that he isn't.
How is he a failed top ten draft pick?
JON was a failed top ten draft pick.Thats the template.

I love the big fella - plenty of mongrel, moves well and can kick a goal. That time he crashed the pack in round one and knocked out Mitch Robinson was absolute gold, and he's gunna be able to do that more often as he gets bigger and stronger. Will be a very frightening ruck/forward in a couple of years.

What I see is a guy that can move very well, has great pace, excellent mark, good skills and agression. And I also see a guy that only produces in flashes, isn't fully confident in himself, needs another 4-5 kg to fully compete with the big guys and gets caught up in the moment rather than thinking/knowing.

I reckon his capability is obvious, and is absolutely A grade. However to go from sporadic performer to gun is his next step.

Right now he is worth his starting 22 place because his ability to compete in the ruck and to demand a good tall defender helps out structure and hurt the oppositions. He scores enough that he is threat, but he can be a 3 goal a game player. His rucking is OK, but can be much better. And his speed and skills allow him to be a link up player, which he doesn't do enough of. So what I see is a guy that can go from good B grade to A grade just by consistently doing what he does well. Add in increased size, strength and endurance and he can be as important to us as some on here think he is/can be.

He's not bad.
I've had my doubts on him and still do.
Was good in the ruck this year but rubbish up forward.
Played 2 good games in the forward line, those games being the first and last games of the season.
I just don't think he is the answer up there to be honest.
I see a lot more in A. Edwards as a second forward than I do in Vickery.
Is currently part of our best 22, but I see that changing very quickly with the addition of another genuine ruck in Hampson, as well as McBean developing pretty nicely.

I was worried he might end up like Kozzie. Some great games here and there, but might not live up to his potential. This thought still lingers, but I'm pretty sure he's going to be better than that!

Vickery has aggression and natural talent with at least one year of performance.

At the end if the day, I'll back in that type of player to do well. Plus he's smart off-field, like Jacko, so even more reason to believe he's capable of finding ways to better himself each year.

Absolute Spud....the major reason the ball is run out of the forward line so easy. Gets in Jack's way. Gives us nothing below his waist. No aerobic capacity. Pathetic in the Ruck. Gets pushed out of packs too easily. More aggressive in a melee than at the ball. Takes mark now and again. Usually has soft hands.

Vickery should have gone with McGuane....actually, both should have gone years ago!

Richmond will have a better forward set-up when Vickery is traded or delisted.
By then, our Premiership window may be closed. :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he might be a little bit lazy on field truth be told, there were couple of games this season where for spurts he dominated. He just goes missing too often, if he was able to develop a work base and realised just how good he could be if he worked his arse off on field he could be a gun. Otherwise he will just be another third string forward till someone else comes along.

With the addition of Hampson, I think I'd like to see Ty spend more time in the forward line this year refining his game up there, working to team structures and getting some serious overhead confidence back. If Hampson is going to be roaming around the ground as our second ruck then that gives Ty free rein to just concentrate on that part of his game, and I think it would be excellent for him. He blew me away in round 1 last year against Carlton when he started to get some confidence in his marking back, his hands were so strong. I would like to see him do the same.

Yep, the more I think about it and after seeing Dan Richardson's video on Hampson last night, the more I like the trade. Dan was saying that by bringing in Hampson, that would allow Vickery to play permanently as a forward. Hopefully that will improve his forward skillset and things like overhead marking, leading and calling for the ball and where to position himself. By not having to pay attention to the ruck anymore, he can focus solely on one aspect of his game and hopefully become very good at it. In time, he might very well be able to focus on the ruck role if the need arises but for now, I like him as a forward.

With O'Hanlon you would hope so but he has to prove himself. Not sure he has done to much yet and doesn;t have the agility of someone like a SJ. Not sure if O'Hanlon moves well enough tbh for his size as a forward. He really needs to have a star quality if not the total package like great speed or great mark etc.. O'Hanlon might be able to play somewhere else as well as he is midfielder size

Don't think Karnezis is good enough, too stringy not enough strings in his bow IMO. McCarthy reads okay in phantoms for a potential swingman CHF and CHB but have to have a look at his videos before I can make a more astute prediction. Actually Karnezis may be useful in a pretty good forward set up where he could play the right role. I would only entertain getting Karnezis as a value play though! How quick is Karnezis?

Rohan is someone I would be looking at into the future and it will be interested who else the Swans are looking to release after Buddy

Agree on Sydney - If I was Blair Hartley, I'd be keeping a close look on their young talent in the coming years! Maybe we can pick up someone up to be the medium forward in one of the drafts with some luck.

WOW completely disagree take hartlett rich and hill in a heartbeat over TV, these players provide much of the run and precision kicking that sets up their team being dynamic midfielders, also rate hurley way higher as a forward.

View on TV is has a great side step for a guy his size, very agile but his bodywork is disgraceful when the ball is dropped on his head, should be out muscling guys and outmarking at 200cm and x kg's. also goalkicking is always a worry with TV his kicks have huge swing and really need assessing. He's no ruckmen and simply completes rarely hitting to advantage thus he'll need to become more dominant up forward after McBean hits his straps and looking to take TV's spot.

Fair post tigswithrigs but can I ask what makes you rate Hurley a better forward than Vickery?

Granted Hurley has managed to kick 20+ in his last 3 seasons, Vickery has done that twice (with last year being a write off due to injury). Vickery's best year to date (2011) is better than Hurley's and Hurley's best year (2011) to date yielded the same number of goals as Vickery this year (27).

Fair post tigswithrigs but can I ask what makes you rate Hurley a better forward than Vickery?

Granted Hurley has managed to kick 20+ in his last 3 seasons, Vickery has done that twice (with last year being a write off due to injury). Vickery's best year to date (2011) is better than Hurley's and Hurley's best year (2011) to date yielded the same number of goals as Vickery this year (27).

if you watch hurley off the ball hes leading patterns are significantly more advanced than TV's where most of TV's marks that are on the run are caused by a block from other players with either noone picking him up or an undersized player.

Hurley always gets number 1 defender where obviously ty doesnt and when hurley leeds at the ball carrier he is very rarely beaten where ty can be nudged out of the way. Only thing i think that TV does more is clunk packs, rarely marks but usually bring to ground, if he doesnt get a concussion in the process. Hurley doesnt but that usually because the essendon structure isolates its forwards

He is 22 years of age... Still extremely young with a huge upside. I rate him, yes. Obviously his game needs work, but not many players at his age with his stature are any good, but they do come good.
We have seen enough from him that makes it clear to me he will be a very important player for our future.

Absolute Spud....the major reason the ball is run out of the forward line so easy. Gets in Jack's way. Gives us nothing below his waist. No aerobic capacity. Pathetic in the Ruck. Gets pushed out of packs too easily. More aggressive in a melee than at the ball. Takes mark now and again. Usually has soft hands.

Vickery should have gone with McGuane....actually, both should have gone years ago!

Richmond will have a better forward set-up when Vickery is traded or delisted.
By then, our Premiership window may be closed. :thumbsdown:

Gee it makes me happy that you have absolutely no say in what the club does, open your eyes.

BTW, if you want to believe that Vickery is in our best 22, then that is a reflection of our current team and that is why we can't crack the Top 4. Vickery in our Top 22? That's a weak 22.

Vickery is the first name put down on the team sheet. Most vital player.

Will be our deep forward. 200cm, quick on the lead, good grab and accurate kick.

Get used to him being mentioned as our MVP.

Back