Bigger impact - Lake to Hawthorn or Tippett to Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

You know what they say: forward lines sell memberships, defences win premierships.

Lake - Best key defender in the competition

Tippett - Not in the top 5 (maybe top 10) key forwards.
Best Key Defender in the comp along with who? Bruce Doull? Which decade are we in?
It will be Lake vs Clarkson every week. Psychofest

But quite clearly two Swan fan that watch 3 dog games between them obviously know more than the Hawthorn recruiting staff.
I wasn't calling it a bad move, nor do I even think it is. What I was unequivocally saying, was that Lake isn't the best defender in the comp.

Lake was a gun back in 2006, that's a long time ago.

Surely a troll.

Lake was badly injured and barely played last year (2011). Prior to that he was a gun.

This year he didn't play at his best but he was still reasonably good in a shithouse side. He is an upgrade of Shoenmakers for at least 2 years.

Tippett to Swans is a great get for them. Solves their ruck and forward problem simultaneously, although it makes things a little harder for Pyke.
With Mumford's continuing back and hammy issues, you'd think Pyke would still be getting a game fairly frequently.

I didn't watch many Bulldogs games this year, but in the ones I did watch Lake looked pretty bad.
I saw a fair few of their games, and I didn't think he was that bad at all. Still won plenty of one on ones against the big forwards and his above average spoiling and intercept marking is still there. Is prone to the odd clanger more than his AA year, but a great pick up by the Hawks to fill a weakness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goddard will be better then both.

Tippett will have a bigger impact than Lake.
If you are looking for the Goddard circle jerk, I believe it's on the Essendon board.

Define "impact".

Tippett is a 200cm & 100kg key forward yet to hit his peak. He's 25 and will play for the best part of the next decade.

Lake is a 31 year old has been defender, who's body and mind have failed the past two years.

Lake may, and I emphasise may, be the one ingredient Hawthorn need to win a premiership in the now but logically Tippett will ultimately have more of an impact at the Swans should he end up there.

I'm surprised Brian Lake didn't just retire to tell the truth. The guy looked absolutely shot this season. An upgrade on Schoey still I guess, but not by much. In answer to the OP's question... Sydney

You know what they say: forward lines sell memberships, defences win premierships.

Lake - Best key defender in the competition

Tippett - Not in the top 5 (maybe top 10) key forwards.
qm.gif

I'm surprised Brian Lake didn't just retire to tell the truth. The guy looked absolutely shot this season. An upgrade on Schoey still I guess, but not by much. In answer to the OP's question... Sydney

Why would he retire, he is on pretty good money. And the Dogs just managed to sucker the Hawks into paying it.

Troll?

Richards, McPharlin, Lonergan and Reid have all been AA or in the AA squad in the past 12 months. Anyone believe Lake circa 2012 is better than any of those?

I do.

Those defenders all played in top 8 sides.

Lake only got the recognition he deserves when the Bulldogs were in finals contention.

Tippett by a country mile.

Hawthorn folk are seriously overrating Lake he has very little left and will be gone in 2 years max

That's all they need from him. In 2 years time they'll have the likes of Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Burgoyne and Guerra all just about stuffed.

Well worth any perceived risk I reckon.

Dogs are paying a fair amount of his contract in 2013.

We're on the main board now, Ronny, step it up.

From what i understand Lakes salary next year is between 600-650k a year and the Hawks are paying 400-450k a year of that salary.

That is why the Dogs gave the Hawks pick 27, so that the Hawks would take on the huge salary for a washed up 31 year old.

I believe no one watches enough WB games in 2012. Lake held his own in a young WB side. Mids were not defensively good enough, and Lake didnt have the support like he use to; Morris, Gilbee, Hargraves. Polling 7 brownlow votes is a fair effort for a Key Defender in a year WB struggled. He seems to be over his injury, from memory missing two games (one suspension) and didn't cost Hawthorn and arm or a leg in the trade. Lake would be perfect fit with HAW game structure, will have more time to read the game unfold and will release Gibbo as a floating 3rd tall. Lake may struggle against KF in some games, but this is where Gibbo will come as support. Schoenmakers will not lose his CHB position.

Lake at 31yo will look and play better at HAW then he would at WB in 2013.

HAW have enough youth and drafting young first round 18yo will add nothing to their list when their window is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back