Biggest name at each Club

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Daniher for us.
Reynolds, Coleman, Hird & Merrett all deserving too.
I'd rate the Sheedy name with us too. 4 flags and 27 years of service as a coach. As big at essendon as Norm Smith or Jock McHale and Melbourne and Collingwood respectively.
I'm disappointed we didn't work his name into the renaming of the tullamarine facilities.
Sheedy's Hangar would have been a nice tip to him.

For WCE its Worsfold. Dual premiership captain and premiership coach. Involved in 5 out of 6 of our grand final appearance and the club b&f was named after him.

Also set the standard in relation to hardness and what was required to be successful. Not in the clubs 10 best ever players however John Worsfold is easily the name that stands above all others for us.

So much this, people saying Cousins or Jakovich severely under rate Worsfolds impact at the club as player and coach.

Richards, McHale, Shaw, Coventry, Rose, Collier, Buckley, Brown, Daicos, McGuire are the mix that spring to mind. Greening and Millane both great players who met with tragic circumstances. Regan a legend but from so long ago that he's not as well known as he should be.

I would say McHale.

261 games and a premiership as a player.

714 games and 8 more premierships, including a 4-peat, as player/coach then coach.

About as legendary as one man can get.

Adelaide: Blight
Brisbane/Fitzroy: Voss/Murray
Carlton: Silvagni
Collingwood: McGuire
Essendon: Sheedy
Fremantle: Pavlich
Geelong: Ablett
Gold Coast: Ablett
GWS: Folau unfortunately
Hawthorn: Kennett - the Kennedy and Matthews names are diluted imo.
Melbourne: Barassi
North Melbourne: Carey
Port Adelaide: Ebert
Richmond: Bartlett
St Kilda: Barker
Sydney/South Melbourne: Goodes/Skilton
West Coast: Worsfold
Western Bulldogs: Whitten

Roo.

Best player. Brownlow. Came back to run the club and took us from the Sando quagmire to contenders despite an ordinary list with no top 10 picks. Will soon fill half the squad with father-sons.

Barassi could arguably be the biggest name at 3 clubs.

Leigh Wardell-Johnson at Freo probably, 19 letters.
For Port it is Powell-Pepper with 12 letters.

Pfft. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti or GTFO

On topic Reynolds, Coleman, Hird, Daniher and Watson the most important.

Think I’d have to give it to Daniher though. Neale, TD, Tony, Chris, Joe (& Darcy) is a fairly handy group of players from one family at a club.

In 10 years time Daicos will be the biggest name at Collingwood bar none... Peter was a star, but you have got Josh and Nick coming through who could be very good players, the latter is said to be a future top five pick in the draft, and Josh can play inside/outside mid and kicks dual-sided.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For WCE its Worsfold. Dual premiership captain and premiership coach. Involved in 5 out of 6 of our grand final appearance and the club b&f was named after him.

Also set the standard in relation to hardness and what was required to be successful. Not in the clubs 10 best ever players however John Worsfold is easily the name that stands above all others for us.

Definitely agree that Woosha is the biggest name in the club. Not sure he is in the best 25 players but purely as a stand alone skipper he would be in the team.

Robbie Flower for us, carried the clu bthrough a decade as grim as the beginning of this one and was a genuine gun of the competition.
RDB by a distance. As good as Flower was, Barassi is as big a name as there has ever been. Certainly in Victoria. Stynes would be another candidate.

I'd have Sheedy as the biggest name at Essendon.
Daniher, Fletcher, Watson, Hird, Coleman and Reynolds names are all huge as well but Sheedy was such a public and visible figure for such a long and successful period of time.

I'd have Sheedy as the biggest name at Essendon.
Daniher, Fletcher, Watson, Hird, Coleman and Reynolds names are all huge as well but Sheedy was such a public and visible figure for such a long and successful period of time.
You cant name your medal after him though, cos ours is.

Currently?

Adelaide: Eddie Betts

Brisbane: Luke Hodge probably pips
Zorko/Christensen/Hipwood now

Carlton: Kreuzer

Collingwood: Scott Pendlebury still

Essendon: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwudi

Fremantle: Fyfe

Geelong: Dangerfield still pips Ablett

Gold Coast: Steven May

GWS: Josh Kelly now

Hawthorn: Rioli

Melbourne: Gawn

North: Todd Goldstein

Port: Robbie Gray

Richmond: Dusty

St Kilda: ? Cupboard's a bit bare with Roo's retirement

Sydney: Who else but Buddy himself

Western Bulldogs: Bontempelli

West Coast: Naitanui

Adelaide: Blight / Ricciuto
Brisbane: Matthews / Voss
Carlton: Barassi / Silvagni
Collingwood: McGuire / Buckley
Essendon: Sheedy / Coleman
Footscray: Whitten
Fremantle: ??? / Pavlich
Geelong: Davis / Ablett
Gold Coast: Blight / Ablett
GWS: Sheedy / ???
Hawthorn: Clarkson / Matthews
Melbourne: Smith / Barassi
North: Barassi / Carey
Port: Cahill / Tredrea
Richmond: Dyer / Bartlett
Saint Kilda: Baldock / Lockett
Sydney/South Melb: Roos / Skilton
West Coast: Malthouse / Worsfold

As a new club I get we're hard to judge. Sheedy probably a good call but he's best known as a Bomber. I'd suggest Mummy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back