Boxing Day Test: Australia v India @ MCG (Mon - Fri) *Part 2*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
aus.png
VS
indv.png

We've all spent the what will be a fortnight by Day 1 since "Horrendous Hobart" mulling over the makeup of the lineup. If you've been under a rock a summary of what has gone on

Ed Cowan has used a century filled 30 day period (Averaging a tick under 200 in his last 4 red ball games) to take the spot previously held by Phil "C Guptill B Martin for not many" Hughes.

Shaun Marsh has spent the month laying on his absolutely rooted back not having Usman "Score 20 in 80 balls then get out" Khawaja making a strong enough case to keep his spot. The selectors opting to retain struggling RT Ponting over Usman with his 2 test tour of India last year the only time in his last 7 series where he has averaged over 35. There were 3 scores in the magical 70's for Ponting in that series. I say magical 70's because 78 is his highest score in those 7 series.

The selectors have said if Shaun Marsh isn't fit enough then Dan Christian will play at 6 forcing all the other batsmen up 1 spot. It would leave Australia playing an all rounder in a batsmen's spot. A batsman with a career average of 30. Of course he is averaging 34 in his last 10 knocks so he is certainly in career best form.

The other decision is in the bowling department. Choice between Mitchell Starc, who despite playing on some of the most helpful test pitches seen in Australia in years, could manage just 4 wickets at 50 and did not impress one bit against NZ or Ben Hilfenhaus. Ben says injuries caused him to bowl un-threatening out swing out of the hand in the Ashes. Either way he'll not want to bowl un-threatening out swing out of the hand here if he gets the call up or he could have his papers stamped.

Not much to think about for the Indian batting order. Yuvraj finally got the chop in the series against the West Indies. Virat Kholi did nothing to show that he wasn't a far superior player and will likely hold off Rohit Sharma for the 6 spot. The top 5 in the order combine for a lazy 48,414 runs at 52. We all know them.

Bit more thought required in the bowling department. Which 3 fast bowlers? Is Zaheer fit enough to risk? Is your spinner Ojha or Ashwin? You would think presumably it will be Ashwin.

No DRS in this series because the BCCI don't like it. Though they've gone to the top of the test umpires with Gunner Gould [/Ian Chappell]
and Marias Erasmus in charge of the first 2 tests. Aleem Dar returns to Australia for the final 2 along with Kumar Dharamasena.

Australia XIII

David Warner
Ed Cowan
Shaun Marsh
Ricky Ponting
*Michael Clarke
Michael Hussey
Dan Christian
+Brad Haddin
Peter Siddle
Nathan Lyon
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Ben Hilfenhaus
In:Ben Hilfenhaus
Ed Cowan
Shaun Marsh
Dan Christian

Out:phil Hughes
Usman Khawaja

India XVII
V Sehwag
G Gambhir
R Dravid
SR Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
V Kohli
RG Sharma
MS Dhoni
R Ashwin
Z Khan
U Yadav
I Sharma
A Mithun
PP Ojha
AM Rahane
WP Saha
R Vinay Kumar
In:AM Rahane
WP Saha
R Vinay Kumar
A Mithun
Z Khan
RG Sharma
U Yadav

Out: V Aaron (inj)

Umpires:
Marais Erasmus (RSA)
Ian Gould (Eng)
3rd Umpire Paul Reiffel (Aus)

Coverage:
ninek.png
from 10am EDT
grandstand.png

Cricinfo Scorecard
Cricket Australia Scores

Session Times (AEDT):
10:30am - 12:30pm
1:10pm - 3:10pm
3:30pm - 6pm (allowing for the slowness)

Weather:
Possible showers days 1 and 2. But it is Melbourne and this is quite early.

Odds courtesy of Jaimee Rogers:
Australia $2.30
Draw $2.75
India $3.50

Re: Boxing Day Test: Australia v India @ MCG (Mon - Fri)

tendulkar is a great batsman, one of the all time greats, but I wouldn't trust him on anything after his strong defence of Azza's match fixing.

Offering him as a credible source on anything is well, dodgy at best.

I'm not talking about close decisions. I'm talking about any of the large number of times Bad appeals for something that isn't even close. Completely by himself.

And yes, I have been lucky enough in the past 18 months to have seen 90%+ of balls bowled in tests involving Australia so yes I do watch cricket smart ass.

I will be keeping a close eye on Haddin's solo appealing in the next innings.

For once Haddin has kept his head, hopefully more of the same tomorrow. Another lion hearted effort by Siddle.

For once Haddin has kept his head, hopefully more of the same tomorrow. Another lion hearted effort by Siddle.

yeah i was really expecting a dumb shot, pleasantly surprised.

really don't like this article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...or-dan-christian/story-fn67wltq-1226230273346

dan christian should be included in the team if he is classed as a better batting option than hussey or ponting... that is dubious.

with our bowling attack (finally) looking pretty solid, if a fifth bowling option is present in our top six batsmen than that is a luxury, but it's not a necessity.

It's a shame we've got our top order sorted now. I wouldn't mind seeing Siddle have a crack at opening :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Somewhat surprised to see there was 70k there today, looked like heaps of empty sections on telly.

And even though he's a filthy Vic, I can't help but admire Sids :thumbsu::D

VERY relieved that we've been able to fight back, would be a tragedy to lose this match based upon two pivotal umpiring mistakes.

really don't like this article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...or-dan-christian/story-fn67wltq-1226230273346

dan christian should be included in the team if he is classed as a better batting option than hussey or ponting... that is dubious.

with our bowling attack (finally) looking pretty solid, if a fifth bowling option is present in our top six batsmen than that is a luxury, but it's not a necessity.

Watson has really spoilt us, people seem to forget we went for years without one even though we desperately tried to find one we didn't succumb to picking bits and pieces players. The top 3 test teams in world cricket don't even have one.

Somewhat surprised to see there was 70k there today, looked like heaps of empty sections on telly.

And even though he's a filthy Vic, I can't help but admire Sids :thumbsu::D

VERY relieved that we've been able to fight back, would be a tragedy to lose this match based upon two pivotal umpiring mistakes.

That's because it went an hour and 20 minutes passed the scheduled close of play. Some people wouldve been there for over 9 hours by the end of the day.

Watson has really spoilt us, people seem to forget we went for years without one even though we desperately tried to find one we didn't succumb to picking bits and pieces players. The top 3 test teams in world cricket don't even have one.

You're right.

I had completely forgotten about that.

IIRC it was around the time when Shaun Pollock was tearing it up as a genuine allrounder.

People were constantly going on about how desperately we needed one.

You're right.

IIRC it was around the time when Shaun Pollock was tearing it up as a genuine allrounder.

No it was when Flintoff absolutely reemed us in the Ashes and the selectors made it their sole intention to have 5 batsman, wk, 1 all rounder and 4 bowlers. It was ridiculous decision due to no suitable candiate in Australia and if it wasn't for the brilliance of a few batsman and bowlers we might have really gone backwards.

You're right.

Did Pollock actually bat in the top 7? Can't remember but I definitely know we started going crazy about it after the 05 Ashes when Flintoff took us apart.

surely saffers are classed in the top 3?? they have kallis.

but india, england and sri lanka don't.

and you're still right. even though we talked for years about the need to find an all rounder, we didn't try and force it because there wasn't a viable option... perhaps maybe that was for the better because it might have tempted our selectors and forced our number six (who for so long was ricky ponting) out of the team...

we stuck with symonds for a good while, but he eventually started playing some pretty good test cricket, though he got a good run.

in reality if you're top four bowlers aren't likely to take 20 wickets then having a fifth bowling option is probaly not going to help.

as i said in another thread you may consider bringing in your 7th or 8th best batsmen in place of your 6th best batsmen if they provide a good bowling option.

but even then it's still a 50/50 call, and probably only one that you do if you're bowling is weak.

the questions have gotta be asked...

1) is Christian in our top six batsmen?? probably not
2) is he our 7th or 8th best (available)?? probably
3) does he provide a good bowling option?? an ok option, but certainly can't see him bowling like watson, and probably not that much better than someone like hussey
4) is our bowling weak and in need of support?? on recent evidence, i think it's fine. the only cavaet for this is the strength of the indian batting

unless questions 2 - 4 are a "yes" (and question 3 really should be a resounding undoubted "yes"), then you go with your top six batsmen. as you say, don't go picking "bits and pieces players" in the search for an all rounder.

that's my take on it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back