News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of this kerfuffle and uncertainty just reinforces my scepticism as HTF did Gold Coast get pick 1 and a priority pick just last year and then come out in season 2020 and be very competitive - what a joke - either the AFL fkd up or Gold Coast tanked big time ?

Of course they tanked. Dew is there for the long haul, it was in his best interest to tank and get priority picks.

apparently our support base believe Gill McLaughlin sits there reading AFL.com.au thinking, geeze Damien Barrett doesn't think I should let the Crows get Pick 2. I'll stop that happening?

its shame no one in the club has a phone.

From what I can tell, band 1 requires brad to be in the top 2-3 paid players per club on average across the league. I can see getting close on a 3 year deal, but not if it's 5 years. Nothing to do with Gill or Barrett, just that I can't see the numbers stacking up. And gut feel from between the lines of what's out there from club is that we won't be matching a 5 year deal. Now the salary dump plan might work, but I reckon it's our only hope.

Something that hasn't really come up and I know that it hasn't occurred in the past and outgoing free agents have been dealt with separately. But the AFL's own mud map mentions accumulation. If Hartigan doesn't earn us compo, can the loss of him be added to Brad as it's onky 1 pick. Whereas in the past, maybe there's not been a scenario where a compo earning player has left alongside a non-earner. Just a question being posed, NFI if we've already seen it and it's a no go.

Of course they tanked. Dew is there for the long haul, it was in his best interest to tank and get priority picks.
*en oath they tanked.. for the very moment their CEO Cockrane came out and said halfway through the season that they were going to push for a PP so they could get the two mates in rowell and anderson for “retention” the while club gave up bothering to win games and focused solely on making sure pick 1 was theirs.

I dont think they were even bottom when Cochrane said it.. the blues were.

From what I can tell, band 1 requires brad to be in the top 2-3 paid players per club on average across the league. I can see getting close on a 3 year deal, but not if it's 5 years.

Brad has said they are trying to get everybody what they want. The most logical/obvious way to do that is to play around with front ending and triggers.

I don’t buy this Crows take 2 saints players stuff. But if they put a 1 or even 2 year trigger and front load the first three years then it’s absolutely possible we can get pick 2 within the rules the AFL have been applying. But that’s not to say we won’t get screwed anyway.

I think we can rest assured that St Kilda, Adelaide and Brads manager are all working towards getting us pick 2 and them not paying up any pick. Personally, I think they will figure it out too. It’s the AFL that will screw us over.

Brad has said they are trying to get everybody what they want. The most logical/obvious way to do that is to play around with front ending and triggers.

I don’t buy this Crows take 2 saints players stuff. But if they put a 1 or even 2 year trigger and front load the first three years then it’s absolutely possible we can get pick 2 within the rules the AFL have been applying. But that’s not to say we won’t get screwed anyway.

I think we can rest assured that St Kilda, Adelaide and Brads manager are all working towards getting us pick 2 and them not paying up any pick. Personally, I think they will figure it out too. It’s the AFL that will screw us over.
That is a likely scenario.

I still think Dunstan in particular is going to be a part of it. But the AFL don't want its heartland, well financed clubs getting the types of deals reserved for the basket cases.

It's not an anti-Adelaide thing.

The one thing could happen is we get pick 2 and then it causes the end of FA compo

That's not true. The primary factor is where his new contract rates him against his peers $ wise. They would know where his contract ranks him at our club, but as for the other 17, it's be their best guess at best.
Well yeah that's what I'm saying. They know the contract, they know he fits in the optimum age range.

If the money fits in then only the AFL can rule that it isnt Band 1

That is a likely scenario.

I still think Dunstan in particular is going to be a part of it. But the AFL don't want its heartland, well financed clubs getting the types of deals reserved for the basket cases.

It's not an anti-Adelaide thing.

The one thing could happen is we get pick 2 and then it causes the end of FA compo

I just shake my head at this. You’re not wrong. But the AFL will get done one of these days. That mentality cannot be legal. 50,000 South Australians pay a $1000 a year to ultimately the AFL. They cannot have a set of rules that benefit another set of fans paying the same money. I just hope I’m alive to see that ******* VFL bullshit organisation to the ground. Would rather see those pieces of s**t burn to the ground than win the next 100 premierships. Well,.. it would be a close call anyway.

Basically called it a farce because he doesn't like the idea of Adelaide getting pick 2.
That's why I see this is as the the excuse the AFL need to stop it after this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont get why the vic media keep saying crouch is not worth pick 2. Its not about him being worth pick 2, its about band 1 compensation which is the first pick after your first pick which luckily for us is pick 2.

Most people said when free agency was about to come in most players will leave the bottom clubs and go to the top clubs which in most cases has happened, how is this fair. Top teams get stronger bottom teams get weaker.

So the fact that the team losing the star restricted free agent (mainly from the bottom clubs) gets another high pick is helping the bottom team which makes the free agency sort of fair. It was about equalisation.

I just shake my head at this. You’re not wrong. But the AFL will get done one of these days. That mentality cannot be legal. 50,000 South Australians pay a $1000 a year to ultimately the AFL. They cannot have a set of rules that benefit another set of fans paying the same money. I just hope I’m alive to see that ******* VFL bullshit organisation to the ground. Would rather see those pieces of sh*t burn to the ground than win the next 100 premierships. Well,.. it would be a close call anyway.
I'm sure we'd get bored after the first 51 of them haha.

I forgot they also take into account the age so it isn't top 5%, around top 50 players with age allocation of 10 points which B.Crouch would get using 2018 data.
Ok.. im invested now. We know that to get Band 1 compensation (i.e. the infamous Pick 2) we need 95 pts.

I've created a spreadsheet based upon the numbers provided to determine the players salary as % of the competition. Taking into account Brad's +10 pts for being 26, the compensation table below:

1603451164726.png

Going off articles/tables/BF thread, if Brad's salary is $600K+ salary, this would trigger a Band 1 compensation.

In short, EFF the Vic Media if they think $700K salary is insufficient for band 1! !

EDIT: Apparently it’s top 5% salary for ages 25+. So this is likely wrong... D=

Last edited:
How can it be pick 9? There no compo for after your second pick (someone else’s) as far as I’m aware.
Well we could be the first club to finish bottom, lose our best mid as a restricted free agent for a contract that normally triggers band 1, but we end up with a pick well down from our own first and ending up after another clubs somewhere down the order because of the 'look'. You couldnt make this s**t up

Ok.. im invested now. We know that to get Band 1 compensation (i.e. the infamous Pick 2) we need 95 pts.

I've created a spreadsheet based upon the numbers provided to determine the players salary as % of the competition. Taking into account Brad's +10 pts for being 26, the compensation table below:

View attachment 993057

Going off articles/tables/BF thread, if Brad's salary is $600K+ salary, this would trigger a Band 1 compensation.

In short, EFF the Vic Media if they think $700K salary is insufficient for band 1! !
What you need to understand about this whole situation, is that what you've done there, that is about 1000% more structure, formulas and effort than the AFL has put into this, ever.

IF, and it's a big if, they had ever tried to do a table like this, it would be throwing a circular reference warning, the font would be comic sans, and it would mostly be a read-only upside down PDF that someone had pasted into the excel by accident.

They weren't THAT good this year. Only won a couple more than us.

Well we could be the first club to finish bottom, lose our best mid as a restricted free agent for a contract that normally triggers band 1, but we end up with a pick well down from our own first and ending up after another clubs somewhere down the order because of the 'look'. You couldnt make this sh*t up
It would be classified as 'in the spirit of the rule' rather than the 'look', but yes, you're right, this could actually happen.

I know you like to assume stuff and state it as fact, but the AFL's own explanation suggests you're wrong. For you to be right, you'll need to identify a club and year that proves the AFL ignores its own explanation. As simple and confusing as a single sentence can be. "Net total points"

View attachment 993071
If we're talking about combining free agents for points - AFL Media came out and said in a video that it can't happen, and the only time it has was a while ago with the Paps and they got two seconds for Pearce and (someone else), not one first rounder.

It makes sense. You can't lose three spuds as free agents and end up with a band one compo.

View attachment 993057

Is that taking into account only the players that are 25+? Because $600K seems very low, if you use the 2018 data he need to be top 50 earning players which is in between the $700-800K earners, hence why there is mentioned of $700-750K is around the low range of band 1 compensation and $800K will be the upper end and that's why Rockliff just missed out due to his age. Whereas Maclure and Wilson just thought he had to be in the top 5% earners and mentioned it need to be at least $800K.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back