Traded Brad Hill [traded to Fremantle for pick 23]

Remove this Banner Ad

If a good player wants to meet with you then you meet with them, he isn't needed but we would love to have him.

It's really not that hard to understand, Hill is worth 20-25 no chance in hell is he worth a late first rounder, he hasn't even been in your top 15 players for the past 5 years and like i said in our position of not needing him we wouldn't offer full value, we need the draft picks so a swap of 21 for Hill and your 3rd rounder (like pick 51-54) would be a fair tradeoff.

If you think getting Hill will make us play quick precise overlap football then you are clearly delusional, he will slot into pearces role but isn't a saviour like you seem to suggest

LOL, no you don't....you don't meet with someone that you have no intention of acquiring. If your coach didn't think they needed him or had a role for him he never would have met up with him. Coaches worry about there list and how they can better it. They don't have time to waste.

As for the top 10 to 15, for the role he plays in Hawthorns side, he's a 10 to 15 player. His overlap, carry and relentless running is what creates holes in play for our onballers to revel in. Not once has he been dropped from Hawthorns line up,....even in his poorest of form this year. Why, because no matter how bad he plays, his movement helps set up our transitions.

He takes the game on and runs harder than any player in your side, even better than your Hill...its a reason why he was ranked elite in score assists last year.....you might as throw in the towel if you don't think he can assist with your ball movement....... if he can't nobody can. Thats his precise role.

Last edited:
LOL, no you don't....you don't meet with someone that you have no intention of acquiring.
You do realise that clubs meet up with players all the time and more often then not a trade doesn't happen...

Like i said it would be great to get him but he is NOT NEEDED and therefore we won't pay his face value which is a early-mid 20s pick

LOL, no you don't....you don't meet with someone that you have no intention of acquiring. If your coach didn't think they needed him or had a role for him he never would have met up with him. Coaches worry about there list and how they can better it. They don't have time to waste.

As for the top 10 to 15, for the role he plays in Hawthorns side, he's a 10 to 15 player. His overlap, carry and relentless running is what creates holes in play for our onballers to revel in. Not once has he been dropped from Hawthorns line up,....even in his poorest of form this year. Why, because no matter how bad he plays, his movement helps set up our transitions.

He takes the game on and runs harder than any player in your side, even better than your Hill...its a reason why he was ranked elite in score assists last year.....you might as throw in the towel if you don't think he can assist with your ball movement, because if he can't nobody can. Thats his precise role.

How can it be said any clearer.

Freo would like to have Brad Hill. He would DEFINITELY be in our best 22. He would DEFINITELY make our team better.

We CAN'T AFFORD to pay what hawk fans think he is worth.

If he is homesick and is desperate to come home and Hawthorn are happy to let him go for what we CAN afford to pay then a deal will get done.

It is really that simple.

The unfortunate reality is he is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If that means that Hawks would rather keep him on the list then give him up for what we offer then be the sounds of things he will happily play out his contract with Hawthorn.

You do realise that clubs meet up with players all the time and more often then not a trade doesn't happen...

Like i said it would be great to get him but he is NOT NEEDED and therefore we won't pay his face value which is a early-mid 20s pick

That is completely different. Not being able to get a trade go through doesn't mean the team didn't want or need you....... Teams do not meet up with players they don't need or have any intention of signing.

Last edited:

Freo would like to have Brad Hill. He would DEFINITELY be in our best 22. He would DEFINITELY make our team better.

If he is homesick and is desperate to come home and Hawthorn are happy to let him go for what we CAN afford to pay then a deal will get done.

The unfortunate reality is he is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If that means that Hawks would rather keep him on the list then give him up for what we offer then be the sounds of things he will happily play out his contract with Hawthorn.

No the reality is as fans, we have no say in the matter. What hawthorn fans think he's worth and what Freo fans think they can afford has absolutely no bearing on the potential trade. All we know so far is Hawthorn rates him as a first round pick, Lyon's met with him...Lyon has a fixation on everything that's Hawthorn.

Last edited:
That is completely different. Not being able to get a trade go through doesn't mean the team didn't want or need you....... Teams do not meet up with players they don't need or have no intention of signing.
If the trade doesn't go through because hawthorn are asking for more then we are willing to part with then it is the exact scenario i am talking about...

just give it up man, we don't need Hill and won't fork out too much for him, he has already said he could still be playing with hawks next year and if thats the case then so be it.

Mate any chance you can forward this on to Ross the boss, I don't think he's thinking along the same lines as you.. maybe he's distracted or something.
better yet if you see him walking around down at South freo oval just go up and give him a wack and tell him to snap out of it!!!!!
Cause you don't NEED B.Hill. :)

probably a good chance for the Hawks to work with GWS and Freo here
McCarthy & Hill to Freo.
Pick 3 to GWS
Cats 1st rd to Hawks

Hawks get pick 15-18 for Hill
GWS get pick 3 for 15-18 and McCarthy
Freo get Hill and McCarthy for Pick 3

Last edited:
probably a good chance for the Hawks to work with GWS and Freo here
McCarthy & Hill to Freo.
Pick 3 to GWS
Cats 1st rd to Hawks

Hawks get pick 15-18 for Hill
GWS get pick 3 for 15-18 and McCarthy
Freo get Hill and McCarthy for Pick 3

It's a bad deal for Freo, a marginally good deal for Hawthorn and an awesome deal for GWS.

Unfortunately for all concerned, McCarthy is no longer worth an upgrade from 15 to 3. For GWS this would mean they are also likely to get a gun non-academy player as well as their best academy player, so they would jump at the chance.

I don't think Fremantle will be prepared to give up their pick three.

But if they are, then the following trade would be fairer to all (except GWS who would still win, because they can pick a top three player and still use their later picks as points to pick their academy players).

Hawks get 15-18 for Hill and a third or fourth round pick.
GWS get pick 3 for 7-8 (Collingwood's first round), 15-18 (GWS first round) and McCarthy
Freo get Hill, 7-8, 53-54 and McCarthy for pick 3.

Alternatively, Freo could keep 15-18 and trade a good young player for Hill. Langdon is my bet, although I wouldn't want to see him go.

just give it up man, we don't need Hill and won't fork out too much for him
Just coz you don't think your club needs him doesn't mean you will get him for Way under his value.

pick 21 for Hill was fine, Hawks are soft traders and would taken unders if it got him to where he wanted to go. BUT Freo would have to throw in steaknives not hawthorn.

Your suggestion was so far unders it's not in the realms of possibilities so no wonder you got gang banged by a few Hawks supporters for suggesting it.

For future reference a simple "were don't need him so a deal won't get done" would of been enough.

It's a bad deal for Freo, a marginally good deal for Hawthorn and an awesome deal for GWS.

Unfortunately for all concerned, McCarthy is no longer worth an upgrade from 15 to 3. For GWS this would mean they are also likely to get a gun non-academy player as well as their best academy player, so they would jump at the chance.

I don't think Fremantle will be prepared to give up their pick three.

Agree with all of this. Absolute best case now IMO (so not something that's likely to happen, before I get jumped on) is that GWS gets a pick around 15 for McCarthy. Would any club trade pick 3 for two picks around 15-18? No way at all - and that's the best case for GWS. This trade is beyond even that best case for them, and beyond even the worst case for Freo.

But if they are, then the following trade would be fairer to all (except GWS who would still win, because they can pick a top three player and still use their later picks as points to pick their academy players).

Hawks get 15-18 for Hill and a third or fourth round pick.
GWS get pick 3 for 7-8 (Collingwood's first round), 15-18 (GWS first round) and McCarthy
Freo get Hill, 7-8, 53-54 and McCarthy for pick 3.

Alternatively, Freo could keep 15-18 and trade a good young player for Hill. Langdon is my bet, although I wouldn't want to see him go.

I think this then goes the other way too much. Even ignoring a pick in the 50s, Fremantle get McCarthy and Hill for a four pick downgrade? That's very wishful thinking. Similarly I can't see GWS trading a second first rounder and McCarthy for a four pick upgrade from 7 to 3.

I think this then goes the other way too much. Even ignoring a pick in the 50s, Fremantle get McCarthy and Hill for a four pick downgrade? That's very wishful thinking. Similarly I can't see GWS trading a second first rounder and McCarthy for a four pick upgrade from 7 to 3.

It depends on where GWS think their best academy player will be nominated.
I think it's incredibly unlikely that Essendon and Brisbane nominate, but much more likely for Fremantle, Gold Coast, Carlton, Richmond or maybe Melbourne to nominate. If GWS are convinced one of those teams would nominate their number one academy player, it's a no-brainer.

Edit: on the McCarthy thread, it was pointed out that GWS need to bank future picks.
Perhaps Fremantle could throw in a 2017 third or fourth rounder in the deal with GWS.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loving Hawks fans throw around "triple premiership player" like it somehow changes the actual value of what is a very poor year this year.

Clark Keating was a triple premership player.

Hill's value sits at 20-25
Freo don't need Hill therefore we pay less or don't get him at all, pretty simple tbh
Hawks will be happy to keep him for a year and we revisit, freo will be happy to revisit the next year and sort out a trade based on what he is worth to our list. (Stephen Hill, Bennell, Pearce all capable of playing the position 2/3 are better)

I'm not sure if we will be in the business of trading future picks after we stuffed it up so bad last year, so that leaves limited options.

Would be great if we had pick 21, could have done 21 for Hill and hawks 3rd shook hands and walked off.
Could still get pick 22 if Mayne get's us a 2nd rounder. If it's a 3rd rounder we can trade it off to GCS with our 3rd rounder for a pick in the mid 20s (they'll have heaps)

Yeo came back to WA for pick 28. Doesn't have to be difficult if both parties are reasonable.

finally a sensible Fremantle supporter.

Just coz you don't think your club needs him doesn't mean you will get him for Way under his value.
That isn't what i'm saying, i am saying we will offer unders and its likely that hawks won't accept so we can revisit it next year.

I never said you guys will accept the offer, all i am saying is what he is worth to us and that we don't need him therefore we won't pay the high asking price

Could still get pick 22 if Mayne get's us a 2nd rounder. If it's a 3rd rounder we can trade it off to GCS with our 3rd rounder for a pick in the mid 20s (they'll have heaps)

Yeo came back to WA for pick 28. Doesn't have to be difficult if both parties are reasonable.

Pick 22 plus a swap of 3rd or 4th round picks wouldn't be to too far from the mark.

Hawthorn are usually pretty reasonable to deal with.

That isn't what i'm saying, i am saying we will offer unders and its likely that hawks won't accept so we can revisit it next year.

I never said you guys will accept the offer, all i am saying is what he is worth to us and that we don't need him therefore we won't pay the high asking price
Ohhhh fair enough. I agree .

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

He is literally saying everything all the other freo supporters are saying...
no as i read it he is saying that Brad Hill would be in your best 22 and most not all Fremantle supporters on this thread are saying he is crap and not worth even recruiting and that you guys would be doing us a favour by taking him. Hawthorn people love Brad Hill And would love for him to stay but if he wants to leave we will help but we don't need to get bent over we will take unders but not in the late 30s like some of you are hoping it has to be fair for player and clubs.

Last edited:

He takes the game on and runs harder than any player in your side, even better than your Hill...its a reason why he was ranked elite in score assists last year.....you might as throw in the towel if you don't think he can assist with your ball movement....... if he can't nobody can. Thats his precise role.

Has not finished in the top 10 of b and f in 5 years. So at best he is a 11 to 15 player. What position did he finish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back