Brad Scott's spray to Majak Daw - too much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt it would happen, women are generally more emotionally intelligent than men so the female coaches wouldn't give out such a spray, and the male coaches would be too conscious of potential backlash.

No they'd just glare and start bitchy rumours behind each other's backs

Was the last sentence: "Come on Majak, show some ******* aggression!"?
No he said something along the lines of "You have to *en harden up Majak" and then "You don't have to be taught how to...????? running one way and If I have to tell you one more time, I'm coming down there! Come on Maj stop being a ******* ??????"

To be fair if any player deserves to be yelled at its Daw.

I think it's pretty awesome to see a coach like that. I know people criticise the Scott brothers but I love how emotional they are. Clarkson is the same. Otherwise all coaches would look just like wooden statues during the game. Look at Simpson; barely shows any emotion at all when in reality he should probably be yelling up a storm as well.

Blight wasn't afraid to give it to players and he was an amazing coach

Not sure screaming over the top down the phone at someone is really going to motivate them to improve.

Also pretty sad from Scott to then trot out the "he's still learning the game" routine. If he is why did you go deep end on the criticism?

Either he ****ed up and you gave him a worthy spray or he need to learn and you educate, I don't see how it's both.

Scott looks like a guy who runs his emotions because they get the better of him, not because he's trying to get a calculated response.

Not sure screaming over the top down the phone at someone is really going to motivate them to improve.

Also pretty sad from Scott to then trot out the "he's still learning the game" routine. If he is why did you go deep end on the criticism?

Either he ****** up and you gave him a worthy spray or he need to learn and you educate, I don't see how it's both.

Scott looks like a guy who runs his emotions because they get the better of him, not because he's trying to get a calculated response.

What is this Majak learning the game nonsense??

His 26 years old and has been on a list for seven years!!

He only had 3-4 years left in him period.

AFL is way too short a period of time to spend 7 years learning the game. He must be a very slow learner too...

Take Blicavs for example. Some players adapt, others don't. Majak just hasn't got it.

The feel good nonsense needs to end and just delist him.

The real question is would he have gave as big of a spray if the player was white

What is this Majak learning the game nonsense??

His 26 years old and has been on a list for seven years!!

He only had 3-4 years left in him period.

AFL is way too short a period of time to spend 7 years learning the game. He must be a very slow learner too...

Take Blicavs for example. Some players adapt, others don't. Majak just hasn't got it.

The feel good nonsense needs to end and just delist him.

From his coach...

Can't really blame Brad Scott for giving Majak a spray, he's a frustrating player to watch, he seems to have all the right attributes but looks like he doesn't try or care most of the time which is probably why he's been on an AFL list for so long and still hasn't nailed down a spot in their best 22.

Actually surprised he hasn't been delisted by now as most players don't get that long on an AFL list when they've delivered as little as he has.

I can't help but think he's got more leeway due to the AFL's desire to be as multicultural as possible and appeal to different demographics.

No he said something along the lines of "You have to ****en harden up Majak" and then "You don't have to be taught how to...????? running one way and If I have to tell you one more time, I'm coming down there! Come on Maj stop being a ******* ??????"

He says "If you get pushed out of the way again in the ruck one more time I'm coming down there".

I can't work out the last word he says either, looks like he's saying frigid or rigid but that doesn't make much sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't really blame Brad Scott for giving Majak a spray, he's a frustrating player to watch, he seems to have all the right attributes but looks like he doesn't try or care most of the time which is probably why he's been on an AFL list for so long and still hasn't nailed down a spot in their best 22.

Actually surprised he hasn't been delisted by now as most players don't get that long on an AFL list when they've delivered as little as he has.

I can't help but think he's got more leeway due to the AFL's desire to be as multicultural as possible and appeal to different demographics.

He says "If you get pushed out of the way in the ruck one more time I'm coming down there".

I can't work out the last word he says either, looks like he's saying frigid or rigid but that doesn't make much sense.
I thought it was the R word. :huh:

Ok I had a go. Parents are deaf so they taught me a bit of lip reading over the years.

"Where's my f##king hard nut, Majak?

You don't have to be stronger, you're the strongest person on the f##king ground, Maj.

If you get pushed out of the way ?unclear? one more time, I'm coming down there.

Come on Maj. Show me/stop being a f##king ?unclear? "

Last word looked like "reason" so that could be "show me a a f##king reason" but I couldn't quite work it out.

I'd happily cop sprays like that from my boss if I was lucky enough to be paid hundreds of thousands to be as bad at my job as Majak is at his.

Also, it's not like he doesn't deserve a roast every now and then. He's the classic "look like Tarzan, play like Jane".

He's in the top 400-odd in the world at doing something that is a childhood dream for hundreds of thousands of kids and like any regular AFL player, he has pressure on him every game that most of us couldn't imagine. He's not doing too bad, if you want to make that comparison.

It's no Craig Davenport/ Ken Sheldon

maxresdefault.jpg

It's just bad coaching. I think a spray should only be directed at a team, and very rarely or it'll have zero positive impact. Behind closed doors obviously everyone has their own way of getting the best out of each other, but there are far better ways of telling a guy he needs to lift than after he's been playing well and just yelling at them.

He's in the top 400-odd in the world at doing something that is a childhood dream for hundreds of thousands of kids and like any regular AFL player, he has pressure on him every game that most of us couldn't imagine. He's not doing too bad, if you want to make that comparison.
And for all that he gets paid well above the Australian average salary; has access to commercial opportunities that most regular people don't; free access to high quality support staff; only has to work 20-odd hours a week while also getting extended breaks from his job in the summer; and, most importantly, has the cream of Melbourne's 'crop' clamoring around him whenever he appears at a public event.

Brad Scott gives him a deserved spray and suddenly he's a poor victim of workplace bullying. As I said, I'd happily cop a spray from my boss every now and then if I could have the sort of life that even an average AFL player enjoys.

Last edited:
And for all that he gets paid well above the Australian average salary; has access to commercial opportunities that most regular people don't; only has to work 20-odd hours a week while also getting extended breaks from his job in the summer; and, most importantly, has the cream of Melbourne's 'crop' clamoring around him whenever he appears at a public event.

Brad Scott gives him a deserved spray and suddenly he's a poor victim of workplace bullying. As I said, I'd happily cop a spray from my boss everyone now and then if I could have the sort of life that even an average AFL player enjoys.

But, my point is pretty much everyone on here would love to do what Majak Daw does for a living. But few - if any - of us would be good enough to. There's also a trade off there.

The actual words are pretty important there, as to be honest, it looked like Brad Scott was just trying to light a fire under Daw, rather than actually belittling him, so I don't really think it was out of line. But it's just part and parcel of being a professional athlete at the highest level of the sport there is. If you're the 300-400th best <<insert any other skilled profession here>> your talent and expertise is admired and sought after.

If you're the 300-400th best professional footballer/basketballer/cricketer/rugby player or whatever else (soccer is probably the one exception here), you're considered to be a bit of a useless donkey by the rank and file, most of whom would look more woefully out of their depth in Division 3 reserves than Majak does in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back