Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Its good of you to acknowledge that our club will still be around then šŸ’™
I was being cheeky. Youā€™re club will be fine. I think itā€™s in vgood hands on-field. Itā€™s done a fine job navigating its way out of difficulty thus far. The next 2 years might be tough but thatā€™s just the system

I was being cheeky. Youā€™re club will be fine. I think itā€™s in vgood hands on-field. Itā€™s done a fine job navigating its way out of difficulty thus far. The next 2 years might be tough but thatā€™s just the system
Ha so was i, it is nice to see our two clubs finally doing a few things right though

There's some real positive vibes coming out of Carlton at the moment which appears to set the club up nicely for a really solid 2022.

We always see a team take big strides after a solid off-season, and every year has a side move from mid-range to finals, or in some cases, contenders.

Carlton appear to have all the ingredients in place for a real solid 2022.

i think with Voss providing a different lens, and driving higher standards, Carlton is pretty well setup to be 2022's big improver.

They could be, but losing Jones cancels out a huge chunk of the acquisition of Cerra, so thatā€™s a big, big blow.

My other query on how much scope for improvement they have is that Walsh is already a guy who got 30 Brownlow votes this year, McKay is already a guy who won the Coleman, and Wietering is already a guy whoā€™s firmly in the AA conversation, so itā€™s not like any of those 3 are likely to be miles better next year, and help propel them up the ladder.

I guess now that Jones going cancels out a lot of the Cerra gains, a lot of their hopes for big improvement- from an individual POV at least- rest with Cripps and C Curnow.

If either of those two (or both) get right back their best, and play most of the year in that form, then they could indeed take a sizeable jump up the ladder.

Theyā€™re certainly not the only team that could though. Wouldnā€™t surprise me if any of the teams who finished 10th to 13th took a sizeable jump up the ladder next year.

Last edited:
They could be, but losing Jones cancels out a huge chunk of the acquisition of Cerra, so thatā€™s a big, big blow.

My other query on how much scope for improvement they have is that Walsh is already a guy who got 30 Brownlow votes this year, McKay is already a guy who won the Coleman, and Wietering is already a guy whoā€™s firmly in the AA conversation, so itā€™s not like any of those 3 are likely to be miles better next year

Agree with the Jones comment (massive hole for us, with no real obvious contenders to replace him) but not so sure about your second point.

Walsh in particular has only been in the system 3 years (including the COVID shortened one) for 61 games. Virtually all players don't really peak till 100+ games.

Weitering yeah I couldnt ask for more, but I still see improvement in McKays game as well.

For us next year, its the big what ifs of 'new coach and game plan' (which will be radically different) combined with how we deal with Jones absence, and if any of our younger blokes (Stocker, Kemp, Dow, LOB etc) improve or continue to, and if Cripps can get back to his best.

My other query on how much scope for improvement they have is that Walsh is already a guy who got 30 Brownlow votes this year, McKay is already a guy who won the Coleman, and Wietering is already a guy whoā€™s firmly in the AA conversation, so itā€™s not like any of those 3 are likely to be miles better next year, and help propel them up the ladder.

I guess now that Jones going cancels out a lot of the Cerra gains, a lot of their hopes for big improvement- from an individual POV at least- rest with Cripps and C Curnow.

If either of those two (or both) get right back their best, and play most of the year in that form, then they could indeed take a sizeable jump up the ladder.

Theyā€™re certainly not the only team that could though. Wouldnā€™t surprise me if any of the teams who finished 10th to 13th took a sizeable jump up the ladder next year.
Who finished 10th?

Not sure a 31yo Liam Jones is a central pillar to the Blues success

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who finished 10th?
The team who finished 5th the year before, but had the hardest draw in the comp this year (all 10 double-up games against teams who were in the 8 at the time they played them each time), mixed with the worst injury run (most games missed by best 22), sub-par fitness and some horrific form and confidence lapses. Would hardly be a surprise to see a bounce back up the ladder. Especially if King continues on with his late-season form.

Donā€™t personally see West Coast (who finished 9th) being a big climber, with Kennedy and Hurn being so old now. But thatā€™s just my opinion.

If you have a different opinion, thatā€™s what youā€™re here to post.

The team who finished 5th the year before, but had the hardest draw in the comp this year (all 10 double-up games against teams who were in the 8 at the time they played them each time), mixed with the worst injury run (most games missed by best 22), sub-par fitness and some horrific form and confidence lapses. Would hardly be a surprise to see a bounce back
Rubbish. It would be a massive surprise to see Saint Kilda make the eight. Absolutely massive.

Because Saint Kilda are not a good team. They are a s**t team and if they were not a s**t team they would have made finals this year and you wouldnā€™t need to make lame excuses about the fixture. But they didnā€™t make the finals and anyone who knew anything about football could see that Saint Kilda missing finals in 2021 was always going to happen. Always.

Last edited:
Rubbish. It would be a massive surprise to see Saint Kilda make the eight. Absolutely massive.

Because Saint Kilda are not a good team. They are a sh*t team and if they were not a sh*t team they would have made finals this year and you wouldnā€™t need to make lame excuses about the fixture. But they didnā€™t make the finals and anyone who knew anything about football could see that Saint Kilda missing finals in 2021 was always going to happen. Always.
Lol, and you reckon my post was rubbish.

Youā€™re headā€™s gotten so big since the team you happen to barrack for won the flag I imagine you need to get new doors cut in your house to fit it through them.

Imagine how intolerably floggish youā€™d be if you actually did something of significance personally!

Back