Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photo via Peter Argent
EXzLMH5VcAErA5H
Broken Hill fella I think.

Speaking of I think dad has some photos of that Richmond game in 1974, I'll have to try and find them.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

If the cheersquad ditched the teal and went black and white only then everytime a goal was kicked by the Power then the TV coverage would show a sea of black and white celebrations. It would become established in the casual observer that the team's true colours are black and white. The media could not ignore the push. Amongst the non hardcore Power fans teal would start to become uncool etc. Eddie's bluff of control that he gets away with by apathy of the Port community is eroded extremely quickly. Relying on the club to do anything about the issue is futile. Those in control have no interest in rocking the boat and it must be fan driven.

If the cheersquad ditched the teal and went black and white only then everytime a goal was kicked by the Power then the TV coverage would show a sea of black and white celebrations. It would become established in the casual observer that the team's true colours are black and white. The media could not ignore the push. Amongst the non hardcore Power fans teal would start to become uncool etc. Eddie's bluff of control that he gets away with by apathy of the Port community is eroded extremely quickly. Relying on the club to do anything about the issue is futile. Those in control have no interest in rocking the boat and it must be fan driven.

I like the idea and I would support it. It took me a long time to get used to seeing teal floggers but I'm sure it will take me less time to get used to seeing no teal floggers. I have never been a cheer-squad member and don't intend to but I would support them doing it. Hell yes.

Some questions run through my mind though. Not expecting you to have answers.
Would this create a civil war within the cheer-squad?
Would there be significantly more cheer-squad members in favour of doing this?
Would the hierarchy of the cheer-squad move to thwart such a groundswhirl?
Would the club ban and expel those members voicing their favour of doing it, outside of the PB game?

I like the idea and I would support it. It took me a long time to get used to seeing teal floggers but I'm sure it will take me less time to get used to seeing no teal floggers. I have never been a cheer-squad member and don't intend to but I would support them doing it. Hell yes.

Would the club ban and expel those members voicing their favour of doing it, outside of the PB game?

The answers to your questions are

1. No, The Prison Bars are a massive part of our history.
2. Hopefully.
3. No, The PB are a massive part of our history.
4. The club loves the Prison Bars, the problem is they just don’t have the nuts to challenge Eddie who pretty much runs the VFL.

2. Hopefully.
4. The club loves the Prison Bars, the problem is they just don’t have the nuts to challenge Eddie who pretty much runs the VFL.

Talking about the cheersquad not using teal. Eg .. teal floggers, teal in banners, etc

2. Hopefully.
"They" being Koch and KT. Both weak.

"They" being Koch and KT. Both weak.

Exactly, why would they want to stick their necks out? They wont due to their own self interest even if the petition gets a million signatures. They don't have to do anything whilst people still buy and display teal at games. The AFL loves the optics and this is what the casual fan sees - that Power fans love the teal status quo. If the official cheersquad is under the thumb then organise for all you on here to start going along together and form your own bigger black and white only display in the general admin area. I'm not a Power fan but I am a proud South Australian. How embarrassing that the AFL allows 3 Vic clubs to be be the same colours but an SA team gets treated so 2nd rate. It's got to end now..Any teal is admitting subservience and weak. You can change it and get the prison bars but stop thinking that asking for it nicely will work.

The club's officials quite often under these debates about teal say "it's a point of difference" to Collingwood which really means 'it's easier to condition every Port supporter that it is a point of difference rather than fight for our club's true identity'.

Plenty there do exactly this.

KT said he feels it would be wrong to wear the PBs in front of empty stands if we played the Crows at AO in R2 BUT did put the caveat on his comments by saying they may put it to members to see what we think.

KT said he feels it would be wrong to wear the PBs in front of empty stands if we played the Crows at AO in R2 BUT did put the caveat on his comments by saying they may put it to members to see what we think.

One way to look at it would be to consider the intense focus on the game as a televised event. One of the first games back, people starved of football, game between intense rivals, etc

The PBs would get seen by a lot of people around the country. IMO this helps the cause more than playing in front of our home crowd.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is this an either-or scenario? ffs KT go for it all.

Does nobody want to etch their name in history as the man that brought the Prison Bars to the national stage permanently?

Why is this an either-or scenario? ffs KT go for it all.

Does nobody want to etch their name in history as the man that brought the Prison Bars to the national stage permanently?

Yep. As chiwigi is fond of pointing out; the more we wear it, the less argument there is for us not to wear it.

I think we need to push hard for them to wear it against the Crows this year as planned to get the national exposure and then keep pushing for wearing it again... and again... and again...

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on the fact that Matthew Richardson would want to be that man.

One way to look at it would be to consider the intense focus on the game as a televised event. One of the first games back, people starved of football, game between intense rivals, etc

The PBs would get seen by a lot of people around the country. IMO this helps the cause more than playing in front of our home crowd.

Said exactly the same in another thread the other day.
Should be wearing it anytime we can.
Who knows when crowds will be allowed anyway - why wait!!
This is our 150th, to me delaying it isn't an option.

KT's an apologist.....

There will be more people watching no?.

or is his opinion that it's just for the members..... short sighted no?

That's real leadership....... my god, don't you think he understands the public sentiment, or is it in the too hard basket...

That's real leadership....... my god, don't you think he understands the public sentiment, or is it in the too hard basket...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back