Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I heard dwayne russell say during the crows v port game that he was looking forward to port wearing the prison bars in each showdown this year, thought he just misspoke or was mistaken, however now I just listened to a podcast with Ben Baker (Port Adelaide Ambassador) on the 2 guys 1 cup podcast, he said we would be wearing it in each showdown this year which was a compromise with the AFL.

Is this done and dusted but just not publicly announced?

Link if anyone wants a listen

I saw three young dudes side by side in full decked out PB jumper and black shorts. Great to see. Looked fabulous.
I didn't get the PB memo and rocked up in the new polo shirt.

Looks like the local butcher here in Goodwood. Big Port man! Maybe he’s got a side gig making that stuff OS!
Best butcher in Adelaide. I go out of my way to pop in then down a couple of doors to the Goody Cellars and pick up some crafties.

I thought I heard dwayne russell say during the crows v port game that he was looking forward to port wearing the prison bars in each showdown this year, thought he just misspoke or was mistaken, however now I just listened to a podcast with Ben Baker (Port Adelaide Ambassador) on the 2 guys 1 cup podcast, he said we would be wearing it in each showdown this year which was a compromise with the AFL.

Compromise as in just wearing them in 2021? Because fook that

I find it VERY hard to believe that we would sign something that meant we could never wear them again after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben talks about it around the 14 minute mark of the podcast - he doesn't mention it being just for this year, he says "it looks like they've (presume he means the AFL, not Collywood!) agreed to both Showdowns, that's a pretty good deal".

Thanks for the link TRM. I wouldn't read too much into what Ben said. I thought it was a bit of a throw away line, rather than something definitive.

He's definitely the sort of ambassador the club needs. Knows his stuff about the club and stays up to date, despite living overseas for 20 years. It was a bloody good listen, explained the history and culture of the club very well to a curious Vic footy fan who wanted to know more about PAFC. Living across the road from Alberton Oval, going there most games from 5 years age, working in the bar area on grand final nights in 1989 and 1990, and training for and playing a few games for Port's under age sides would do that for anyone. Loved what he said about Jacko.

Now he is back in Oz post the covid outbreak, I wonder if he is doing some photo stuff for the club. Documenting the season maybe?

A few months after he did the photography for the Since ..... 2017 membership campaign, I was in the line up for a beer at that shitty alternative GDV on the south side of the Torrens the club was forced to set up, and up rocks then COO Stephen Dawes with Ben and he introduces me to him. Had a 10 minute chat about the membership campaign, what he had to go thru to follow Port living outside Oz for 20 years, and as I had read the SA Weekend magazine article on his career a few months earlier, I asked him about his photoshoot back in 2013 or so with then Citizen Trump and his previous photoshoots with presidents Obama, Bush and Clinton. It was a great chat. Definitely one of those ambassadors that pulls their weight for the club, rather than just have a celebrity title.

Last edited:
Maybe not great timing...

He does raise a valid point - coaches get blamed for the way the game is played and get paid half or less than of what a Steve Hocking would be paid to make up BS rules on the fly which directly changes the way the game is played. I feel it is more of an attack at the AFLCA which basically bent the knee in COVID negotiations and they got hung out to dry with 1 year contracts at reduced pay etc whilst the executive still pocketed bonuses.

There's enough background talk in the media around the PBs in showdowns idea and no one has come out to shut it down. Makes me think they are waiting on a pre determined moment for the announcement.

You really have to think that if any kind of agreement had been reached, the club would be proudly advertising the fact.

Slinking away from the issue in 2021 hoping that the fervour dies down is much more likely, and also reflective of McLaughlin's style of ignore/distract from an issue until it hopefully goes away. You'd imagine AFL house have been trying to postpone this into oblivion.

Our job is to not let that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back