Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apples and oranges. Franklin was older, on a longer deal and with some injury/personal issues when he signed his deal. Brodies will finish 3 years earlier and he has proven pretty durable with a solid character. The length for me isn't the risk so much as what we pay in years 6 and 7. I'd love to know that. I hope it's on a reducing scale by then.
The other thing is that for some counter intuitive reason kpfs seem to decline more quickly than rucks. I personally think Grundy still has a fair but of improvement to come and that he'll still be a star im 7 years time.

The other thing is that for some counter intuitive reason kpfs seem to decline more quickly than rucks. I personally think Grundy still has a fair but of improvement to come and that he'll still be a star im 7 years time.
KPFs get battered around. If you watch closely behind the play they take a lot of punishment. It is an attritional position.

Any flag and I will be happy with or without Grundy but suspect that Brodie will be a big part of any flag we win.

I am inferring from the article written by Ryan that Jordy will be more of a priority than Moore with forwards and midfielders being the big moneymen.

Defenders are easier to come by even though he also says this to an extent about ruckmen.

He makes a fair argument. Hopefully either his assessment of a ruckman's value is incorrect or we improve in other key positions to give us greater competitiveness all over the field. It was a damned if you do damned if you don't sort of situation. I only hope we are able to satisfy the needs of De Goey and Moore.

I am almost Certain we will it be the Mid-Tier players we could lose

KPFs get battered around. If you watch closely behind the play they take a lot of punishment. It is an attritional position.
Its also one where pace and agility or endurance to get seperation are paramount. You slip on those fronts and you're left trying to thrive on contested marks alone, which noone can thrive on, as we saw with Clokey once his running dropped off.

I think Grundy is unique in that he could genuinely be classified as a ruck/midfielder.
His tap work has improved greatly in his time with us and I think the challenge for Brodie and the team now is how do we best balance this with his clearance work.
Add to this the likely development of some more forward craft in the future and he’ll be a handful for oppositions for quite a while yet.
I think we should also bear in mind that at some stage in his tenure we’ll have a midfield without Pendlebury and Sidebottom and lose some other experienced players along the way. Grundy’s presence becomes even more valuable then IMO.

That certainly seems to be the plan, with Aish, Shaz and Cox being those guys under discussion during trade period.

Aish already Left, Schaz up for Trade in last Period but no Takers and I would be too sad IF Cox Left

I thought it was a pretty balanced article Dave. There was certainly no criticism of Collingwood in there. Only pros and cons of the deal.

They way he Named it came accross that way. Yeah has bit Balance in it.

Though I disagree that you don't need a Ruckman to win a Flag

He makes a fair argument. Hopefully either his assessment of a ruckman's value is incorrect or we improve in other key positions to give us greater competitiveness all over the field. It was a damned if you do damned if you don't sort of situation. I only hope we are able to satisfy the needs of De Goey and Moore.
His argument doesn't take into account in any way the relative scarcity of quality ruckmen, let alone one of Grundy's calibre.

Finding serviceable ruckmen isn't too bad, finding quality ruckmen is hard and finding someone of Grundy's calibre is bloody next to impossible.

In comparison quality midfielders are a dime a dozen.

Yet another illustration of the League's obsession with midfielders.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His argument doesn't take into account in any way the relative scarcity of quality ruckmen, let along one of Grundy's calibre.

Finding serviceable ruckmen isn't too bad, finding quality ruckmen is hard and finding someone of Grundy's calibre is bloody next to impossible.

Yes, I think he was too dismissive of Grundy in the way he said that the GWS midfielders were definitely good signings.

They way he Named it came accross that way. Yeah has bit Balance in it.

Though I disagree that you don't need a Ruckman to win a Flag
I dont think he said that. He said a star ruck wasn’t necessary. All the rucks he listed as premiership rucks are still good players.

I dont think he said that. He said a star ruck wasn’t necessary. All the rucks he listed as premiership rucks are still good players.

You Still need a Good Ruckman as you seen us in the late 2000's when our Rucks where Chris Bryan and Guy Richards as we could not get over the Hump until we got Jolly

You Still need a Good Ruckman as you seen us in the late 2000's when our Rucks where Chris Bryan and Guy Richards as we could not get over the Hump until we got Jolly
Yes I know. But he didn’t say you don’t need a good ruckman, he said you don’t need a star ruckman.

Yes I know. But he didn’t say you don’t need a good ruckman, he said you don’t need a star ruckman.

Then as a Ruckman you could say we Overpaid for Grundy but Grundy is more then just a Ruckman. He is Pretty much like another Mid and Probably Close or IF not our best mid

Yeah hang on, that is a massive massive call, that mantle - rightly - belongs to Graham Farmer. That guy revolutionised the whole ruck position and by extension probably the game.

Yeah Grundy is a unique player probably the likes the game will never see again - no doubt. Possibly the greatest ruckman for a generation maybe two but not for all time.

Anyways happy to have him signed on, keeps our slim window open.

If he fulfills the terms of this contract for most of it (let’s say the first 5 years) he will be top 3 of all time as a minimum so it’s not a particularly provocative call in this context.

A $1m pa standard for the first 5 seasons of the contract sees him as an 8 time AA and at least a 5 time B&F. Comparing across generations is tough, but given how he plays that’s ruck role defining stuff which puts him up with Farmer.

Exactly he is our greatest ruckman ever and will end up probably the greatest ruckman to have played the game. No other ruckman can win his own ball like Grundy. He is a better mid than some others we put in the square.
Len Thompson would outrank him as our greatest ever ruckman — at least for now. Thompson had size, weight, speed, rare agility and fine skills, and took the game by storm when he debuted at 18. Won one Brownlow and could have won more; won five Copelands, captained the club. If Grundy plays at the current level for another three or four years it will be an argument worth having.

"Toby Nankervis, Ivan Soldo, Scott Lycett, Nathan Vardy, Max Bailey and Ben McEvoy are not Hall of Fame ruckmen as Grundy may well become but they are premiership ruckmen."

Just like Ottens and Jolly...but besides the point that Ryan makes re: Less Talented rucks being premiership ruckmen, the comparison SHOULD point out that they are all COMBATIVE rucks, they are all physical and tough buggers. And guess what? Brody Grundy is the biggest and the best of the COMBATIVE rucks currently going around.

So Peter Ryan, if it had been a Todd Goldstein or a Rhys Stanley then we could have afforded to let him go. When its our main Gladiator who also doubles as a huge clearance weapon then we'd have been STUPID to let Grundy go unless we'd had no choice.

Len Thompson would outrank him as our greatest ever ruckman — at least for now. Thompson had size, weight, speed, rare agility and fine skills, and took the game by storm when he debuted at 18. Won one Brownlow and could have won more; won five Copelands, captained the club. If Grundy plays at the current level for another three or four years it will be an argument worth having.

I loved big Len too 60YO but I reckon Grundy's got his measure right now. Len was a "Gentle Giant" who let Big Nick, Don Scott and Carl Ditterich worry him despite outsizing them all. Grundy loves the physical challenge and he HURTS people!

Thommo did win the '72 Brownlow, but we all know who would have won that medal had he not been "knobbled"

His argument doesn't take into account in any way the relative scarcity of quality ruckmen, let alone one of Grundy's calibre.

Rarely do I agree with Jonbe, but he is right on the money here.

Also you can add that Grundy is so influential that not only was he instrumental in getting us to the 2018 GF, but if he played like he did all season there is no doubt we would have been premiers. And you think ruckman like this guy don’t win you premierships??!!!

I loved big Len too 60YO but I reckon Grundy's got his measure right now. Len was a "Gentle Giant" who let Big Nick, Don Scott and Carl Ditterich worry him despite outsizing them all. Grundy loves the physical challenge and he HURTS people!

Thommo did win the '72 Brownlow, but we all know who would have won that medal had he not been "knobbled"
We can certainly agree on your final point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back