Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony of your hard on for Steele and your negativity towards Grundy isn’t lost on me.
It’s not personal against Grundy, it’s simply unprecedented that a ruckman gets a deal that is supposedly being offered to him.
He‘s a ruckman. And there’s plenty of comment about the value of a ruckman.
You may note my comments in another thread about who should be cut from the top 3 if we need to. Grundy isn’t the one.
So I actually believe my supposed hard on and negativity is COMPLETLY lost on you.

It’s not personal against Grundy, it’s simply unprecedented that a ruckman gets a deal that is supposedly being offered to him.
You may note my comments in another thread about who should be cut from the top 3 if we need to. Grundy isn’t the one.
So I actually believe my supposed hard on and negativity is COMPLETLY lost on you.

Not lost on me at all.......I have a memory like an Elephant and your hard on for Steele I have registered for a while.

The penny dropped very late with your mate as opposed to Grundy....but play on because your response is very predictable to my response.

Not lost on me at all.......I have a memory like an Elephant and your hard on for Steele I have registered for a while.

The penny dropped very late with your mate as opposed to Grundy....but play on because your response is very predictable to my response.
Oh you poor sad man....
Ive been warned about you, I didn’t believe. I actually defended.
But in the end, the doubters have been proven correct.
And that saddens me.

Oh you poor sad man....
Ive been warned about you, I didn’t believe. I actually defended.
But in the end, the doubters have been proven correct.
And that saddens me.

WTF?.....man up and have a mature conversation......by the way I have also defended you in the past.

It’s definitely not personal.....I don’t do that on here anymore and I definitely didn’t do it now with you.

Apologizes if I offended you.......time to move on.

WTF?.....man up and have a mature conversation......by the way I have also defended you in the past.

It’s definitely not personal.....I don’t do that on here anymore and I definitely didn’t do it now with you.

Apologizes if I offended you.......time to move on.
Pfftt...
Ive never denied my respect for Steele, his contribution on and off field to CFC.
His taking unders to stay at CFC in search of Premiership glory.
I can tell you his suitors included those in the window. He might even have another medallion now had he taken the $$ and left.
You may call it “hard on”, I call it COLLINGWOOD FOR LIFE.
Your memory might be like an elephant.
But I don’t need memory. I prefer the never forgive, never forget mantra,
Im sure you understand that.
You‘re card is marked.

Pfftt...
Ive never denied my respect for Steele, his contribution on and off field to CFC.
His taking unders to stay at CFC in search of Premiership glory.
I can tell you his suitors included those in the window. He might even have another medallion now had he taken the $$ and left.
You may call it “hard on”, I call it COLLINGWOOD FOR LIFE.
Your memory might be like an elephant.
But I don’t need memory. I prefer the never forgive, never forget mantra,
Im sure you understand that.
You‘re card is marked.

I tried to be nice but you have no idea.......especially about Steele.

Have fun with the rest of the kids on this forum.

All the best.

A more serious response to Clayton might be that WC and Cox is the only combination of AA ruck and premiership team in the AFL era. At $1m pa Grundy better be bloody AA for the next decade so we would be bucking the clear trend.

Very true he’s not he clearly option.

I'm not suggesting this is your sentiment Scodog, but the thing I don't understand is that if we recruited Lynch or Cameron by paying the same contract the board would rejoice, but we're not rejoicing over Grundy, even though most of us would rate him above those other two if making a list of who we think is the best player in the league. Personally, I'd have him a touch behind Dangerfield, Martin, Fyfe and Cripps, but a touch ahead of Lynch and Cameron. And unlike the blokes who I think he's a touch behind or a touch ahead of, I still think he's got a lot of improvement to come.

I don't usually go with stats, but is there a midfielder in the league who generally outdoes his direct opponent by as many clearances and contested possessions as Grundy does. Even if you ignore his hitouts due to doubts about their effect, he still beats his man more consistently and convincingly than anyone else in the league and the great thing is that he's still improving.

I don't usually go with stats, but is there a midfielder in the league who generally outdoes his direct opponent by as many clearances and contested possessions as Grundy does. Even if you ignore his hitouts due to doubts about their effect, he still beats his man more consistently and convincingly than anyone else in the league and the great thing is that he's still improving.
His reputation, and value, is based on his AA performance.
And he isn’t an AA midfielder. He’s AA as a ruckman.
And there has been decades discussion about the value of ruckman in VFL/AFL teams. The consensus seems to be that they are valued, but not essential.
To be in the top three paid players in any club is unheard of.
To break it down, if Grundy was played as a midfielder exclusively, would he be worth 7 years, 7 mill?
As a ruckman, his centre work is easily negated by a smart opposition midfield, which we have seen on numerous occasions.
He is a bloody good player. In our top 5 no doubt. But if his demands force out someone like Moore or DeGoey, then we are not serious about competing for the silverware.

And there has been decades discussion about the value of ruckman in VFL/AFL teams. The consensus seems to be that they are valued, but not essential.
To break it down, if Grundy was played as a midfielder exclusively, would he be worth 7 years, 7 mill?
As a ruckman, his centre work is easily negated by a smart opposition midfield, which we have seen on numerous occasions.
He is a bloody good player. In our top 5 no doubt. But if his demands force out someone like Moore or DeGoey, then we are not serious about competing for the silverware.
He's AA because he smashes his opponent week in, week out. Perhaps hitouts are inconsequential - I don't really have an opinion either way. But the AFL community thinks they are consequential, so most teams play a big lump in the ruck who Grundy destroys in every other facet of the game as well as hitouts. He may not create as many goals as some, but if you view footy as 18 man on man contests, he's incredibly important. It's almost impossible to argue with the idea that Grundy is currently the best man on man player in the league. He's the man who beats his opponent consistently by more than any other player does. It's not difficult to justify paying him a fortune, but it depends upon your view of what wins games of footy.

I would think Gawn is in the top 3 paid players at Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you don't have a hard on for Steele, you're gay ... or possibly heterosexual ... :think:

What makes you the expert?

It was you as soon as you said Jolly! He was the epitome of a good premiership ruckman the ilk of Nankervis, Soldo, McEvoy, Mumford, Pyke, Ottens, West, Lycett, Vardy, Charman, McDonald, Keating, Bailey and Hale. It only further proved the point that good, not great, ruckmen are what premiership teams are built around. Then there’s the matter of Jolly maybe being half as good as Grundy.

It was you as soon as you said Jolly! He was the epitome of a good premiership ruckman the ilk of Nankervis, Soldo, McEvoy, Mumford, Pyke, Ottens, West, Lycett, Vardy, Charman, McDonald, Keating, Bailey and Hale. It only further proved the point that good, not great, ruckmen are what premiership teams are built around. Then there’s the matter of Jolly maybe being half as good as Grundy.
Ok

Jolly still better then the Duds we had before him in the Ruck

He's AA because he smashes his opponent week in, week out. Perhaps hitouts are inconsequential - I don't really have an opinion either way. But the AFL community thinks they are consequential, so most teams play a big lump in the ruck who Grundy destroys in every other facet of the game as well as hitouts. He may not create as many goals as some, but if you view footy as 18 man on man contests, he's incredibly important. It's almost impossible to argue with the idea that Grundy is currently the best man on man player in the league. He's the man who beats his opponent consistently by more than any other player does. It's not difficult to justify paying him a fortune, but it depends upon your view of what wins games of footy.

Midfielders get off light by people on here with them getting Destroyed in Ruck Contests every week

Jolly still better then the Duds we had before him in the Ruck

Absolutely! He was a solid ruckman that carried us to a flag. I’m only highlighting that comparisons to Sandilands and Cox at that time plus Grundy now is not fair on him.

Midfielders get off light by people on here with them getting Destroyed in Ruck Contests every week
Nah, it is totally Grundy's fault he can only tap to his feet. That is the reason for all those possessions: if he didn't muck up the tap he wouldn't have to go and get it himself. We would be so much better off with a total hack in the ruck: then our amazing midfield could just focus on sharking the opposition.;);););)

Nah, it is totally Grundy's fault he can only tap to his feet. That is the reason for all those possessions: if he didn't muck up the tap he wouldn't have to go and get it himself. We would be so much better off with a total hack in the ruck: then our amazing midfield could just focus on sharking the opposition.;);););)

Then IF he such a Ordinary Ruckman then. Why was he the AA Ruckman for and People saying he is the Best Ruck in the Comp at the Moment?

The medal on his neck, and the necks of 21 teammates, coupled with a big silver cup in the cabinet, means they’ve won that deal no matter the next 6 years.
I don't think it's quite as simple as that, although no doubt as a Tigers fan you'd be happy so far.

My initial response was to a Tigers fan in this thread saying if we sign him to 7 years, every time Grundy touches the ball we'd have our hearts in our mouth despite the fact that he's been very durable to date.

What he'd failed to mentioned was that the Tigers have given Lynch a heavily back ended 7 year contract (a player who's had knee issues already) Talk about heart in the mouth moments for the next 6 years :oops:

In saying all that in reality I think the poster was really angling for a subtle troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back