Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hopefully they can work it out and find a way between player and coaches.

Grundy has put more minutes, knocks, and miles through his body than probably any other player in the league over the past three seasons. Would hate to see him decline during what should be his prime years (2019-2023), due to simply being overworked. We've already seen that with our previous great ruck hopes in Josh Fraser (2007-2011) and Damien Monkhorst (1994-1998), both peaking at 24-25, and then declining due to over-work and injuries.
Josh Fraser??????????? Did he ever Peak? Probably the worst number 1 draft pick in the history of the AFL. he was like Babmi on ice, yet Bambi had more coordination. Remember when Peter Bell out marked him at the MCG.... What a dud Fraser was..

The only issue I have with paying Grundy $1mil a season is when Hawkins in the first quarter can run in off 10 metres push him clean in the back "out bodying" him and its play on and everyone gushes over Hawkins' strength. Poor Brodes is down on form, clearly injured and is copping the harshest umpiring.
We had a chance to rest him if he is injured, we didn't, and he remained a very ordinary player all year. Stop making excuses for him. Once a player crosses the white line, he is fit to play.

Grundy was having over 500 possessions a year in 2018 & 2019. He was an extra mid.
Hopefully he gets back to that form again in 2021 and we get a massive boost without recruiting anyone.
Same with Stephenson, so down on form he is unrecognisable.
My theory is some would have hated living in a bubble with team mates all year. It’s a personality thing. Some thrive, some don’t.

Maybe he is just unhappy?

Brodie is all about "I'm not just a footballer, I work harder on myself than I do on my footy" type.

He studies, he travels to obscure places, he has his GF and his dogs.

I could imagine the hub environment would have been very difficult for a person like Brodie. Not everyone handles the same circumstances in the same way.

Playing good footy while being miserable is pretty hard to do.

COVID has impacted on lots of different people in lots of different ways, and it is hard to draw conclusions of what is "COVID induced" and what is true under normal circumstances.

I think 1 million per year isn't overs, but 7 years is a mighty long time.

I like Brodie, so am hoping he can bounce back to his normal high standards next year. He is only 25(?) and ruckman often have their best years in the back end of their 20's. He has plenty more to give.
Oh poor Brodie! Did he have the sooks because hub life didn't agree with him! I feel so sorry for him unable to do what everyone else was unable to do!

FFS stop excusing his poor season. If he was any sort of man and leader, he'd have overcome the obstacles and the the things he supposedly missed and concentrated on doing his best in the one area over which he did exercise control - football!

Josh Fraser??????????? Did he ever Peak? Probably the worst number 1 draft pick in the history of the AFL. he was like Babmi on ice, yet Bambi had more coordination. Remember when Peter Bell out marked him at the MCG.... What a dud Fraser was..

The unrelenting pressure of being the number 1 ruck from almost day one can do that to you.
Josh was much maligned but I suspect having a decent 2nd Ruck would have helped him enormously.
Was never a Dud - just a superb athlete burnt out at a young age by his Coaches.

Terrific very happy for you

Me I would have picked him up for nothing
Traded Grundy for O'Brien and a first
And win the flag
Especially with the extra gun mid we would have with the $400k left over

Unlike some
I'm a realist
We have a sh*t list full of holes
Full of cross code athletes who simply don't understand the game simply squib it
Or guys who have played for a while who
Simply don't go hard enough
Names like
Will Hoskin Elliott
Jaydon the punter Stephenson
Josh shadows Thomas
Can now be joined by the wallet

Then you can add the obvious weakness that noble is on a half back flank who can't compete against anyone in the air
(Exploited and used just like Shane morward was for us on a wing )

Great list management
Great injury management

Do love how your hypothetical provides so much better outcomes in your view, but let’s not forget, they’ll never be reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy has gone from looking like a beast to an absolute hack!

All of a sudden he looks ungainly and uncoordinated like a newborn animal.
His also prone to some brain fades, which suggests he could be covid out.

So the Grundy couldn't handle hub life . FMD .

Feel free to hand your pay cheque back.

100,000s of people have lost jobs and businesses and he can't handle a fkin hotel.

Mental midget.

That is a really low and ignorant comment man. You have no idea what his life is like or how he handles stressful situations. Living in a hotel whilst playing professional sport would NOT be easy.

You can't compare people losing their jobs and business with AFL players being in hubs. Just because they are getting paid does NOT in the slightest make it easy for them to perform.

I wonder how many said sign Grundy up last year at any cost (mainly media and other pundits alike) but all of a sudden this year already saying trade him out.

I wonder how many said sign Grundy up last year at any cost (mainly media and other pundits alike) but all of a sudden this year already saying trade him out.

A lot.

Does not take long for a Player to be Fans Favourite Player to coming the Whipping Boy a year later

Last edited:
Well they put a lot of Time into Stopping Grundy as You Stop him goes a long way for Beating Us.

Maybe teams are Figuring out how to Limit his Influence on Games

It is a lot of eggs to have in one basket with his monster salary, if he doesn’t bounce back next year and this is the new norm, forget Beams deal this will stifle our list for years to come.

Just hope he isn’t going to hold out like beams should he be baked in 3-4 years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Q
Yet in all the time he’s been here, we’ve never seen it. Ever think there a reason other than incompetent coaches?
That is a really low and ignorant comment man. You have no idea what his life is like or how he handles stressful situations. Living in a hotel whilst playing professional sport would NOT be easy.

You can't compare people losing their jobs and business with AFL players being in hubs. Just because they are getting paid does NOT in the slightest make it easy for them to perform.

Maybe he'd prefer being locked in his house in Melbourne like 4 million other people.

What next he'll take up painting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back