Can we all agree Geelong deserve to host every home game at Kardinia Park?

Should the Cats be playing every home game at Kardinia Park?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

you keep believing, I thrive on your ignorance

Believing what, that we’ve picked the bones of the expansion clubs when we currently have a whole 1 player who’s been at one?
Meanwhile Richmond have how many?
and tell me. Mr Magic.

can you recall any of the reverse happening? You know, where an expansion club might, say for arguments sake, pick up an established, solid player from Geelong? Can you think of any examples of that happening at all? I know I’ve racked my brains and I can’t.

Believing what, that we’ve picked the bones of the expansion clubs when we currently have a whole 1 player who’s been at one?
and tell me. Mr Magic.

can you recall any of the reverse happening? You know, where an expansion club might, say for arguments sake, pick up an established, solid player from Geelong? Can you think of any examples of that happening at all? I know I’ve racked my brains and I can’t.

I want you to believe your invincible, the unwaivering invinceble Geelong.

How lovely.

Meanwhile if we keep winning premierships when we can happy days

I want you to believe your invincible, the unwaivering invinceble Geelong.

How lovely.

Meanwhile if we keep winning premierships when we can happy days

Yes because what I believe or think about football and the fact that I believe in facts not fantasy, has a huge impact on how 22 guys I’ve never met perform on a football field.

Well I actually like the lottery system in the NBA but I don’t really see why there has to be one. Go out and recruit, develop.
AFAIK the NBA lottery is a weighted lottery for non-finalists. So crap teams would still be getting the early draft picks, with the crapper teams having the greater chance of getting the earlier picks. That doesn't seem to be what you suggested.

Recruitment and development have been a cornerstone of our our recent success. But it can be manipulated if it is the sole mechanism for getting talent into a club.

and tell me. Mr Magic.

So now you're against recruitment?

AFAIK the NBA lottery is a weighted lottery for non-finalists. So crap teams would still be getting the early draft picks, with the crapper teams having the greater chance of getting the earlier picks. That doesn't seem to be what you suggested.

Recruitment and development have been a cornerstone of our our recent success. But it can be manipulated if it is the sole mechanism for getting talent into a club.

I wouldn’t want the AFL to turn into NRL levels of throwing cash at young players but as soon as any NRL club gets the right people involved in running the joint things have a way of turning around. My club is notorious for its small junior player pool (since souths took over a whole bunch of our territory) but because it’s the best run club in the comp that doesn’t prevent us from developing good talent

So, ah, make a ground that is the same dimensions.

you didn’t realise our mcg record was that good or you wouldn’t have made such a silly comment.
Your MCG record is good but it's well below your average for all grounds and in finals it's way less, even though you play more games there than ever before and acquired a ground with the same dimensions for training. The question is why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I agree, the "commercial argument" for a ground that size might be a little weak.

Assuming at 50K, you would get at least one of the "Big 4" down the highway every year, and that would be enough to guarantee at least one real home final every year. Spending the extra tens? / hundreds? of millions to push up the capacity that much might not have been justified, no matter how much the club wants it.

(Maybe the T20 or BBL games might benefit as well? Not sure on the recent crowds to those games at GMHBA.)

That said, 40,000 is only 2K less than Gabba capacity (according to a Google search) and Brisbane is a much larger city. So you'd think 40K is ample for Geelong.

Sadly as this thread shows, it's probably still not going to be big enough for the AFL, "because of the fans".
Brisbane play against one in-state team, whose membership isn't very big.

Should be a local big bash team in Geelong. 11 home games and potential finals AFL. World cup matches, Olympic events. Still need to do something about the town shutting up shop by 9pm, but there's a lot of unfulfilled potential.

You mean the decision not to change their decision?
Well, a lot has changed!
Spectator capacity was always the stated reason.... Apparently now there are special signage conditions that don't apply when a match is moved to the gold coast or giants stadium, optus oval etc etc..

Bit of a weird one for mine

As long as the GF can be played at the home ground of the team that earned it I have no problem with this idea.
What the * does the Grand Final have to do with Geelong playing their homes games at GMHBA stadium?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

no, it’s actually above our overall non-KP record. Use the internet and research.
No what? Your MCG record should be better than at other grounds (besides KP) considering you average 6.7 games there per year, but it's still way, way below your KP record. The question is why.

How many of those games do you think we’d have lost anywhere else? We host interstate sides: we’d probably beat them if we played in Melbourne.
we host st kilda - been average most of that time and we would beat them anywhere generally. Hawthorn have been overall the best side over the last decade. We don’t play them in Geelong aside from one exception. Collingwood have been, besides Richmond, the next best performed Victorian side over that period. We don’t play them in Geelong so it’s irrelevant. North are hopeless and have been most of that time. We’d generally beat them anywhere. The dogs more recently have started to compete with us so you could mount an argument to say we would lose a few extra games to them over the last five years if they were all played in Melbourne. Richmond? Well you’ve played us once there since 2012 so again, pretty irrelevant.
carlton have been mediocre that whole team, unlikely their record against us is going to change significantly - they have played there 3 times in 25 years. Essendon visited two weeks ago for the first time in the same period.
Until the last few seasons Melbourne have been our b*tch that whole time as well.

so exactly what pronounced change to reality do you think playing at KP, that is influenced by the ground dimensions and NOT familiarity, comfort, home ground support and the natural umpiring bias that comes with it, actually exists?

Nearly every team’s entire defensive set-up is based around very precise structure and positioning. They move as one from side to side. They know exactly how much space to leave between each other based on ensuring they defend the ground. So if you move from the MCG to KP, all of a sudden every precise defensive zone you’ve worked on needs significant tweaking. The gap you normally have to your defensive mate is not relevant any more. You need to guard completely different zones.

And in attack … you might normally spread wide to the wings to open up space in the corridor. But you do that and there’s still no space as the wings are so narrow. Or you might normally hug the boundary to ensure you can easily defend a turnover … but a turnover at KP on the wing or flank is a simple 25m kick into the corridor, not 35-40m as it is at the G. Or often the ball is kicked OOTF

So it’s completely different to the MCG and most other grounds in the way teams should attack and defend to maximise their chance of victory. The Cats have obviously perfected every little nuance and blade of grass to defend the ground and know how to attack. Other teams structures and zones that they train for 4-months over pre-season are not targeted to a ground they may or may not play at.

You watch enough footy to know that precise positioning all over the ground at all times in both defence and attack is the hallmark of any successful team. If you think going to a ground with vastly different width to what you’ve trained for and played on is not going to pose some significant challenges we will agree to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What’s happening this week?
As part of the AFL’s grand plan to make a middle tier side who neither make nor cost the league much money the winners of this years competition, they’re starting by denying our request to host a home game on our home ground so we can play it in front of no one at the opposition’s home ground.

because I know if I wanted to make Geelong win the competition the first thing I’d do is ensure they are the only team who don’t play their home games on their home ground when it is available

The Geelong tragic SHocking already introduced the ‘stand’ rule to help out teams who rely on uncontested marks and possession football like the Cats. He didn’t want teams being able to defend ball movement. What more do you want? Surely a rule change is enough?

Are you serious? There's plenty to like about what Richmond have done but you've got to concede they've had access to picks that Geelong has not by simple fact that Geelong hasn't really bottomed out. Deledio, Tambling, Cotchin, Martin, and Conca were all taken higher than any pick Geelong has had this century.

Ablett / Scarlett / Hawkins / Dangerfield. All gifted to Geelong. Arguably 3 of the best 10 players this century, with Tomahawk not far behind. Let’s not talk about what teams across the league have had ‘access to’ or have thrust upon them (Danger). Geelong wins that with a leg in the air.

Ablett / Scarlett / Hawkins / Dangerfield. All gifted to Geelong. Arguably 3 of the best 10 players this century, with Tomahawk not far behind. Let’s not talk about what teams across the league have had ‘access to’ or have thrust upon them (Danger). Geelong wins that with a leg in the air.

What, don’t your clubs players have children? Don’t you have access to check books to sign free agents?

The funny thing about all
That is the only player your club would have looked twice at was Hawkins.

The Geelong tragic SHocking already introduced the ‘stand’ rule to help out teams who rely on uncontested marks and possession football like the Cats. He didn’t want teams being able to defend ball movement. What more do you want? Surely a rule change is enough?

Yeah like the third man up rule that was brought in. Who did they name that rule after again? Bricks? Britz? Blax… Blicavs, that’s the guy I was trying to think of.

Back