Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Gold Coast in Darwin oh jesus [Out: Pink, Duurs & Jy - In: WiPhi, Laz & Greenwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched Stephenson for a good 5 minutes to try to work out how it’s possible not to get a touch in a half. He ran up and down the medallion club side wing, with the ball never coming near him.

In the occasions the ball was on that side of the ground (eg when we had the ball in our back half and kicked long down the line), he managed to find somewhere else to hide.

He's never going to take a contested mark, and if you're not going to get into the centre corridor as a winger, and always playing on the "fat side" of the ground then he's useless and we're playing with 17.

He's a low possession, small forward, who has good goal sense. Skinny, and not defensive, and we have too many similar types. It's tough in our forward line, but he's not getting a game there ahead of Ford or Curtis, and I'd rather have Lazarro out on that wing.

An 8 possession VFL game is hardly the form needed for promotion. He has to go back there and find a new role, or there is no point playing him again.

1714860053566.png
What this map doesnt show is the ball was no where near his running patterns.

Out: Sleevo
Agree, dropped to the magoos , recalled and serves this up,

Hand full of touches including electing to take an advantage and turning it directly over immediately!

Was fishers worst game since coming across, would be skating on pretty thin ice as well i suspect.

Pink earned a starting spot but poses the dilema where? would definitely be open to seeing him play a bit more up the field, his game was a real bolt from the blue,

Ford or Laz could come in, either would be an infinite improvement on sleevo.

might be getting time to bring colby into the game a bit more, deffo lots of things to try.

Fair enough. Just I personally feel Archer besides his wonderful endeavour isn't an AFL footballer. Pink was better fwd, doesn't make him good though.

At days end we're 0/8 and you don't achieve that by having a good side.
Archer and Xerri are honest triers. I'd take their efforts over what some others have produced. Neither are going to be great, but they play their role.

In: Ford (if fit) Out: Stevo

Duursma needs a rest. Took 3 marks and what we really need is another big body in the forward line to bring the ball to ground. How many times did Webster take uncontested marks?

I don't think Sellers is that type, so maybe I'll have to cave in with popular opinion and give Maley a run. Even if he doesn't get possessions, he might be able to present a target up forward and for the long kicks down the boundary lines. If it doesn't work sub him out at half time.

In: Maley Out: Duursma

I'd start Pink and have Hardeman or Lazarro as sub. Hopefully Maley and Lazarro have goof VFL games today.

I watched Stephenson for a good 5 minutes to try to work out how it’s possible not to get a touch in a half. He ran up and down the medallion club side wing, with the ball never coming near him.

In the occasions the ball was on that side of the ground (eg when we had the ball in our back half and kicked long down the line), he managed to find somewhere else to hide.

He's never going to take a contested mark, and if you're not going to get into the centre corridor as a winger, and always playing on the "fat side" of the ground then he's useless and we're playing with 17.

He's a low possession, small forward, who has good goal sense. Skinny, and not defensive, and we have too many similar types. It's tough in our forward line, but he's not getting a game there ahead of Ford or Curtis, and I'd rather have Lazarro out on that wing.

An 8 possession VFL game is hardly the form needed for promotion. He has to go back there and find a new role, or there is no point playing him again.

View attachment 1979721
What this map doesnt show is the ball was no where near his running patterns.
I would seriously prefer c. Taylor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Out that damn spot! Sorry the tragedy of it all taking over.

Take 2:-

Out: Sleeveo, Fisher, Duursma (rested), Shiels (rested)

In: Laz, Ford, Nyuon, Taylor

Pink to be CHF / resting ruck, Nyuon on the third tall, Laz the sub.

I get why Larkey is in the ruck but it's far too risky. If he goes down we could redefine what poor performance looks like.

I would extend the Bigoa experiment, his game has issues but he's fast and can intercept.

Shiels should play more often, just not in Darwin. We need an older head on the ground. Duursma to come back soon and then maybe give McKercher a rest.

We will get towelled next week, unless our effort is disgraceful I don't think 11/5 is a day to be emotionally invested in.

Games with Archer in we are 0/1, and he was good yesterday. He does have wonderful endeavour, also he knows how to defend and has some strength to do it, which puts him among my first choice defenders among those available.
+1. We need more players who are willing to have a crack like Arch does, not less. Look at Sam Powel pepper. He’s not the most skillful player, but he’s one of ports most important cos he’s relentless and has a dip. Arch + Chom across the backline will at least give 100% and bleed for the team.

We have key back issues that will improve with games. But for f@%& sake we need a centre half forward.

Seriously McDonald? It was his best game in ages.

As I said in the Luke McDonald thread; he was better yesterday compared to his previous games, but overall he was still poor.

I would rather give Hardeman and Archer a full game as our small/medium defenders.

Did Hardeman need to come off yesterday? I feel like there were other options

Yeah, like Stephenson.

Could have easily been a forward for a forward, without needing to move Tucker back.

I’d play Pink at CHF and have a med fwd like Cooper the sub next week if it’s not working

Ford should never play VFL again

What happens today will have an impact on changes, a given is Stevo is now a VFL player.

I liked Pink up forward ( what have we got to lose ) Fisher also in the forward pocket or Sub.

Bring in Ford if he goes ok today

Last edited:
What happens today will have an impact on changes, a given is Stevo is now a VFL player.

I liked Pink up forward ( what have we got to lose ) Fisher also in the forward pocket or Sub.

Been in Ford if he go ok today

Pink forward resolves a few issues.

In addition, if a few key forwards are getting a hold of us we can move him back as an additional tall back and have Comben as a loose man.

Bring in Ford if he goes ok today
I reckon Sleevo could have a run today in the VFL from what he did yesterday 😉
On a serious question: i wonder if they will play Pink in the VFL today? He only played 1.5 quarters yesterday.
Maybe we can try him forward today ? Sellers , Finbar & Pink .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back