HF: Dickson Schache Dale
FF: Dahl Boyd Gowers
R: Trengove McLean Macrae

Int: Dunkley/Wallis, Lipinski, Smith, Daniel

In: Adams, Dunkley/Wallis
Out: Roughead (inj?), Crozier

Is Adams happy with your backline?

This is a real dilemma!

Last night several players put in substandard performances and I want them dropped to send a message and set a minimum performance standard to keep their spot. However that needs a similar minimum standard in the twos to earn a promotion.

Apparently no one in the VFL played really well .
So What do we do now. ? Retain players in the ones who deserve to be dropped or promote players from the twos who don’t deserve promotion. Sending a message and setting a meaningful standard is harder than I thought. Glad I am not the coach.

This is a real dilemma!

Last night several players put in substandard performances and I want them dropped to send a message and set a minimum performance standard to keep their spot. However that needs a similar minimum standard in the twos to earn a promotion.

Apparently no one in the VFL played really well .
So What do we do now. ? Retain players in the ones who deserve to be dropped or promote players from the twos who don’t deserve promotion. Sending a message and setting a meaningful standard is harder than I thought. Glad I am not the coach.
Have an full on intra-club game during the week. That should separate the men from the weak *****.
Then pick the team based on their intensity and hunger .
First one dropped will be Dale. Has layed 10, I repeat 10 tackles in 10 games. McLean layed 10 tackles vs Collingwood.

Roughy and Boyd collectively being shaded in the ruck initially and then trounced eventually (unfortunately) was predictable to a degree and there were selection options available to perhaps mitigate the flow on effects of that if it did in fact eventuate. De Goeys runs on the ball in the 3rd and 4th and missed opportunities by Bont and Dahl (also in the 3rd), Cordy's absence and our ineffective tackling and pressure I50 were the influential.

Roughy's ruck woes were far from his greatest sins on the night, however. Cordy's concussion just a few minutes into the 2nd quarter and Treloar's first goal can be fairly directly traced back to him and what he didn't do. We were 33 - 9 up before Treloar kicked his first. I anticipate Bevo taking a fairly dim view and the opportunity for redemption may not be there.

If Cordy is out with concussion and Moz or Adams not ready then Young or Roberts are in the frame. Roughy and Crozier next on the block but who replaces them will depend upon the former change and whether Trengove will be considered for ruck. Perhaps both Roberts and Young come in and Trengove to ruck. A midfield rotation seems like a good idea (to me) for Crozier unless Richards needs a rest. With one game to go before the bye that's probably unnecessary and I'd quite like to see him further up the ground or even swap with JJ (for a game at least).

We are deadset screwed next week. Melbourne should be planning for a 100pts + win
They are already 48 points up on Adelaide at HT FFS.
Going to get ugly. What will reduce the margin is the Dogs having two extra days break, them travelling back from NT.
Etihad is not an advantage anymore against them. They beat us easily there in 2017.

Last edited:
Melbourne will be the best team we've played this year, looking awesome today: pace, excellent field-kicking, goal-kicking - all those things we lack really. All those early draft picks and some astute recruiting have created an impressive line-up.

Shouldn't you be playing English? He might not be ready yet, but no better time to get him adjusted to AFL Level. He couldn't be worse than Roughead and Boyd were in the ruck on the weekend.

Watching our game today, there's no better time to have a modern ruckman.

72 hitouts yesterday for Tom Campbell

I definitely wouldn't object to giving him a shot. We've been killed by some of the best rucks recently and next game happens to feature Gawn. Considering we have nothing to lose, we should be trying all avenues in just about every position that has issues. Campbell is incredibly slow, can't pressure and has shoddy skills, but we could just see how we go with an actual big bodied hitout ruck in the team. I wouldn't be upset if he was named.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

During the first quarter I was debating whether we needed another runner like Honey or Jong but thought we have enough players in already with questionable skills and didn’t miss The momentum killers. By the end of the night I was certain we need more intensity and hard workers.

For mine, both come Jongand Honey come in and are not replaced until their replacements show they exceed their work rate. We wear the lower skills but set a benchmark of effort and stand for something.
Agree to a point
Players like Schache will never have that intensity.But we must persevere because you need finishers.But the midfielders definately.

So far this year we have kicked 97 goals, Demons have kicked 160. We're screwed. All we can do is stack the team with defenders and hope for the best.

Edited, missed a round. 11 more goals to the dogs...yay!

Last edited:
So far this year we have kicked 86 goals, Demons have kicked 160. We're screwed. All we can do is stack the team with defenders and hope for the best.
At what stage to we plead the mercy rule we have kicked 10 goals the last 2 weeks they have kicked close to 50 goals so if that average applies 25 goals to 5 goals 120 point margin.

Whats the default losing margin for not turning up in football? In soccer it is 3 - nil which is pretty good when you're certain to get smacked by 20 - 0.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back