Preview Changes for the Giants game

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if there will be that many changes. Sure, if a key player could do with a week's rest now is the time but I think the club would want team stability while they're adopting a new game style. We really want to get things bedded down before the run we have from showdown to bye - Inc. Swans, Pies, Carlton, Cats, Dockers!

Next week is really not going to be any sort of form indicator ... Just a confidence boost really. Another bad game the week after from those who underperformed against the hawks could see them drop way down the pecking order.

What yesterday’s game taught me was that we have a lot of players who don't like the physical stuff when the heat is on. We really need to stiffen up our defence so that opposition forwards not only sense pressure but feel it when they are tackled.

Hendo who didn’t play yesterday is quick, mobile and tall and the coaching staff has a high opinion of him.
He does have a huge upside but every time he puts a body onto someone he comes out of it hurt. I can't for the life of me see how he can be a key defender until he improves this part of his game. Just doesn’t really like the physical stuff at all and defenders tackle, bump and spoil constantly. Closing speed is impressive but needs to toughen up. He to me is a perfect sub candidate.

Otten has had a terrible start to the year. His intensity levels are quite frankly deplorable at the moment. Even the pace at which he attacks the ball is down. He has great size and is a smart footballer and good mark(has had success at centre half forward as a junior) but he needs to find some form fast.

Martin is just too small to be a defender and is a loose checker. He lost his man too often and once he disposed of the ball he didn't shepherd or run hard to help out.
He is also the perfect individual in a defensive system to be targeted as a mismatch by the opposition. Can't stand on the talls and not strong enough or disciplined enough to tackle fast crumbers.
Saw Martin a couple of weekends ago for Sturt when he was on the ball. He ran hard was a good link man and kicked long. Defence just isn't his position.

Brodie Smith disappointed me with his physicality on the weekend. Found the ball but tended to quickly snatch a kick. Won't call it panic but his disposal left a lot to be desired, really didn’t lift his eyes and his tackling was poor. Another who breaks lines and kicks long into the forward, perfect wingman not sold on him as a defender.

Sam Shaw is a defender! Has a good left foot kick and is tall enough to tackle most key forwards or the third option forward. Shaw can apply a strong tackle, is in good form at SANFL level dominating at half back. Surely he needs to be rewarded soon.

Tom Lynch has been an unlucky player so far because I think he has done everything right as a forward this year. He seems to be pigeonholed as a sub but last year in the VFL he average 26 disposals and 6 rebound 50’s per game as a defender and averaged the most effective kicks for the team. (Champion data) Why can’t Lynch be that option who can play both ends of the ground if someone is getting beaten or if we need to change things around, definitely has the size and plays physically to be tried in defence?

Kerridge: when I saw him playing at Sturt it was on a back flank. Well built player who may eventually end up in the midfield but he has all the hall marks of being a player who could learn his trade on a back flank. Brings some size to the position, he does possess pace also allows the option of being able to be thrown on the ball on occasions.

It is time to start injecting more physicality into defence without sacrificing run. Our midfield is starting to win contested ball at throw ups now it is the turn of our defence to step up a notch.

The trouble IMO with the Crows has been that for too long we have persisted with the same structures and personnel. Sando is changing those structures but now we need to start rewarded and promoting the youth who are putting their hand up in the SANFL.

Jarrod Lyons is pushing for a role in the midfield; Wright and Lewis Johnston are being mentioned in write ups. Shaw and Kerridge need to be injected into the mix and non performers need to be given a wake up call.
These are not wholesale changes we just need to remind established players that no spot is safe.

Some of the suggestions on here are ridiculous....like dropping Callinan and Tippett. Those guys played pretty well against Hawthorn. Kurt's inaccuracy is annoying but at least he gives 100% at the contest and gives himself chances. Walker was basically non-existent yesterday.

Out: Otten, Petrenko
In: Shaw, Henderson

Kind of cant believe I'd take Hendo over Jaensch but I think he's done more to deserve selection at this stage. Its sort of a 50/50 call though. We really need more disposal efficiency and Jaenschy is a better kick than Hendo.

So is a soft opening to the season in conjunction with no injuries to key players covering over some real issues?

I think that the Hawthorn game contrasts beautifully with the soft opening, and we've got a tough run coming up after GWS.

By the end of round 10 we'll probably be 4-6 without a win against a top 8 contender, and if the golden run with injuries continues then the best 22 will be involved in most of the 10 games. Carl touched on improvement in the reality check thread - I'm 99% certain that our best 22 doesn't have enough improvement in it to make up ground on the contenders, 4-6 or even 5-5 will be the exclamation point.

Of primary concern to me is the form of Luke Brown and Mitch Grigg - I would have thought that Brown would have been pressing for selection Rd 1 given the hype (not from this board obviously) given by the club and Mitch as an older player should surely have been in consideration (I am assuming an injury here?)

Grigg is only 3 months older than Kerridge, about the age as CEY. Joyce and Crouch are the really young ones. Brown is eight months older than Grigg, and will turn 20 this year. He's probably the one you're thinking of.

Brown would likely be first choice if Johncock or Doughty went down. Grigg is a way off, but then you've got Lyons, Shaw, Kerridge, even Johnston ready to slot in. Rory Laird may be a chance too if Callinan was injured, or when the next rookie elevation opportunity comes around.

Give a Hendo another week to rest if he needs it, look like he had a season's worth of hits in the first two game. Deserves a spot is he is good to go though.

Norwood have the bye, so we avoid dropping their players (Walker).

With this in mind I'd go:

B: Johncock Rutten Petrenko
HB: Jaensch Talia Shaw
C: Dangerfield Van Berlo Martin
HF: Smith Tippett Lynch
F: Porplyzia Walker Callinan
R: Jacobs Thompson Sloane

Int: Lyons Kerridge Reilly Sub: Doughty

I've made Doughty sub, so that Jaensch can prove his defensive skills on their best small player (maybe Devon Smith or Adam Kennedy). We know what to expect of Doughty so he only needs a quarter or so.

I've dropped Mackay and Vince because neither did enough on the weekend and need to think about their role in the side (get some bloody outside ball). Walker on thin ice but we need he and Tippett to have the chance to work together as often as possible. Lyons and Shaw debut (whole 2010 National Draft class in one team), but it'd be cruel to make either sub in a game like this.

Mohr will take Tippett, Davis to be on Walker. Cornes will likely play loose man or take Lynch/Porplyzia. Talia to take J Cameron. Rutten on Giles (and Brogan lol).

More than likely this will be completely inaccurate.

Agree with most of these and would put Vince in the outs as well, he doesn't deserve a game to rack up 30 easy touches. Leave Reilly in and drop Bernie, just isn't good enough for a senior mid to be so soft.

Wish one of Bernie questions last week to Tex had been...you are 100kg and built like a brick out house, why do you play like soft **** so often against good teams?

Look I'm not excusing Tex's game yesterday because it was an absolute shocker. He was soft, didn't attack the ball/contest hard enough and generally was terrible..but this comment is crap - his record against good sides is actually quite good.

2009 - debut year 18 years old

vs Pies - 5 Disposals 3 marks 1 goal
St Kilda - 8D 2 marks 1 goal 3
Dogs - 18D 9 marks 4 goals 3
Hawks - 10D 7 marks 5 goals
Geelong 10D 5 marks 2 goals 2
St Kilda 8D 2 marks 1 goal 3
Pies 4D 2 marks 0 goals

Freo - 11D 7 marks 4 goals 1
Carlton 15D 4 marks 1 goal 1
St Kilda 4D 1 mark 1 goal
Hawks 7D 4 marks 2 goals 3
Geelong 15D 5 marks 4 goals 1
Dogs 9D 2 marks 0 goals 1
Pies 10D 1 mark 2 goals 1
St Kilda 14D 7 marks 3 goals 1

Hawks - 9D 4 marks 4 goals 2
St Kilda 7D 1 mark 1 goal 2
Carlton 10D 5 marks 4 goals 1
Geelong 8D 5 marks 3 goals
West Coast 15D 4 marks 2 goals

More often than not he plays pretty well against good sides. He had a shocker on the weekend and he needs to get more consistency but he does not have a history of playing similarly crap games against good sides.

The ball was never delivered to him.

Tip was in good marking form and catching everything his way and smashing Shoenmakers. Walker was more of a decoy to keep the third tall from Tip. Go back watch the tape and you can see Walker is a fair way from most contests with the ball not coming his way at all.

I actually wonder what his role was on the weekend.

Geoffa, he rarely got near the footy because he didn't present hard enough, didn't work hard enough, didn't work himself into position to be an option. The ball went through Tippett because he works his arse off and competes at every contest - he's got a work ethic comparable to somebody like Riewoldt. If Walker tried half as hard as Kurt does, he'd already be a star.

Walker was more of a decoy to keep the third tall from Tip.

We didn't select him to be a mannequin.

I think Lynch needs to be tried down back.

Tom Lynch has been an unlucky player so far because I think he has done everything right as a forward this year. He seems to be pigeonholed as a sub but last year in the VFL he average 26 disposals and 6 rebound 50’s per game as a defender and averaged the most effective kicks for the team.

Especially based on that.

I think forward, he's too much like Walker. Walker doesn't play tall at the moment, both him and Lynch are mid-sized, which means we're relying too much on Tippett.

Move Lynch back, have Tippett with Johnston/SMcK as our other marking target, and Walker can just be Walker ;)

Some of the suggestions on here are ridiculous....like dropping Callinan and Tippett. Those guys played pretty well against Hawthorn. Kurt's inaccuracy is annoying but at least he gives 100% at the contest and gives himself chances. Walker was basically non-existent yesterday.
I don't think anyone is actually suggesting "dropping" them, but rather resting them against the bye this week.

Look I'm not excusing Tex's game yesterday because it was an absolute shocker. He was soft, didn't attack the ball/contest hard enough and generally was terrible..but this comment is crap - his record against good sides is actually quite good.

Pies 4D 2 marks 0 goals

More often than not he plays pretty well against good sides. He had a shocker on the weekend and he needs to get more consistency but he does not have a history of playing similarly crap games against good sides.

Hey man, don't let the facts spoil a good rant!:p:D

So of the reactionay crap being spouted here is unbelieveable.

The club needs to be looking at players that will help build the side. Players to come in must fill deficiencies. Some of the young players might need a few games to show improvement. There is no point giving Kerridge just one game, give him 3 or 4 and then if he isn't quite there give another youngster a go. The comparsion about how many months older or younger a player is, is rediculous, it is about skill, abilities and developing players to their full potential.

Omissions need to be based on facts rather than perceptions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Otten, Smith (Rested), Thompson (Rested)
In: Shaw, Lyon, Henderson

I think this is the week to rest some players with big games coming up in the next few weeks and 14 day break between the Hawthorn game and the Showdown in round 5.
- I'd rest Smith as he is still young and we want him firing against Port.
- Thompson is carrying a slight injury so why not give him a break against GWS.
- Otten, just send him back to the SANFL to find form.

With the inclusions I think Shaw and Lyon have both been in great form in the SANFL by all reports and this is a great chance to test them out against weaker opposition. They should be the first two to come into the side. The same theory applies to leaving Kerridge in for one more week.

Pies 4D 2 marks 0 goals

Whilst this might show he plays the same against good sides as he does against the weaker sides, to me it highlights he hasn't really improved a great deal since his debut year :eek:.

Whilst this might show he plays the same against good sides as he does against the weaker sides, to me it highlights he hasn't really improved a great deal since his debut year :eek:.

He and Kurt chose a bad time to be forwards at the AFC.

Imagine if we'd had them 2005-07 when our midfield didn't suck balls?

Why can't Porps recapture his 2009 form? Because our midfield can't kick the ball to save themselves compared to Edwards, McLeod and Goodwin who were all class acts.

Outs: Martin (will be delisted) Doughty (career Over)
Ins: Wright Henderson

Did you even watch the game:confused:. Dogga was by far one of our better players I thought, shut Rioli out of the game completely. Martin needs a run in the midfield, he's not a defender and never will be.

I wouldn't drop Walker, but he wouldn't want to put in another effort like that in the near future.

Yep.

Early on it worked well. Walker grabbed a couple (kicked shockers) and Kurt was on fire. Walker had the brains to stay away from Kurt and allowed him a number of one-on-one contests. The Reverse Burton Strategy was in full effect. Save for some errant goal kicking it was a reasonable first half of footy from the pair. Should have had 6 between them at half time.

It fell down after half time. Kurt started getting double teamed. As always there was no leading or low kicks. And Walker was nowhere. Didn't present or contest. Almost like he was trying to do the right thing by Kurt but then when we needed him to get involved and to become a factor he didn't.

Did you even watch the game:confused:. Dogga was by far one of our better players I thought, shut Rioli out of the game completely. Martin needs a run in the midfield, he's not a defender and never will be.

Yay Dogga shut a bloke down. Could an Aiden Riely at 10 years younger do the exact same thing and gain that touch more experience for our next premiership tilt. YES.
Martin at 24 is no better then Kerrige Lyons or Wright, Who are all a few years younger.

i thought it was interesting to look at the stats of a lot of your midfielders. They just werent getting their hands on the ball in the first half. In my opinion, your problem on the weekend was your midfield. Backs were under siege, and the way the ball was entering the forward line gave the forwards no chance while hawthorn had the extra man back.

You guys have a lot of upside, but i think your midfield is still not quite good enough. As a neutral spectator, i thought dangerfield was the only one who never gave in out of the midfielders. The backline could do with a running defender or someone with superb skills, and the forward line seems to be working well.If walker gets more consistent that would help, lynch looks like a ripper for only playing a handful of games, and its just a pity that calernan is mature aged (wheres he been?)

anyway they are my thoughts :) see ya round 7 ;)

Out: Calinan (rest), Reily (rest) Otten, Petrenko
In: Wright, Jaensch, Shaw, Lyons.

Kerridge to start, Martin sub.

I forgot about Jaensch :eek: I think he needs a run in the side. We need someone who can kick the ball out of our back half, definitely find a place for him in the side this week. :thumbsu:

what interests me is to see the way that the crows respond this week...

it will be a good test of how the coaches have been able to adjust the controls...and refocus...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back