Preview Changes / Pre-game Discussion for Rd 9 (Dons in Vic)

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
The difference between him and say Shultz is Shultz is playing at the feet of the forwards and pushing up to pressure, Crowden is doing the opposite. I.E. he is as much part of the midfield as a forward and shares some of the midfielders blame. For what it worth I agree his ball use is good and his decision making is fine. However not only does he not get enough of it he is not contributing enough with the ball not in hand. I don't think he's going to make it. His positive attributes don't do enough to make up for his limitations. BTW I don't think Schultz is going to make it long term either. As a defensive forward I just don't think he defends well enough (which is much about the space you fill and your running patterns as for pressure acts) relative to his attacking contribution (moderate).
I agree that left in the forward line, Crowden is doomed. He's not a forward.

Schultz is touch and go for me. I think it will depend on what other small forwards we can bring in. Can see him being depth in a good team, but not B22.

For the record, I think both could do a lot better in a different forward line. Our entries and leading patterns still seem garbage to me. Not only that, how often do we burn a dude on his own to kick it to Tabs in the pocket? It is quite often one of the smalls standing on their own. Counted at least 3 occasions today.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Count me as another baffled by the Blakely non selection. His attack on the contested ball last week was a big part of us winning the second half. Normally when Fyfe goes forward we lose around the contests but with Connor in we lost nothing. Was MUCH better than Tucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tucker didn’t even play in the midfield today. Coaches allowing players to be selected on name and Darcy is building his match fitness across half back. No backbone from the coaches. Blakely earned his spot, is fit and showed he’s not afraid to get in dirty. Awful call.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tucker didn’t even play in the midfield today. Coaches allowing players to be selected on name and Darcy is building his match fitness across half back. No backbone from the coaches. Blakely earned his spot, is fit and showed he’s not afraid to get in dirty. Awful call.

Games have been lost at the selectors table to often this season.
Playing favourites has reached epic proportions.
Conca being dropped with the put down explanation Blakely out and Crowden in, Tucker in after one game in Peel reserves . Schultz, left in for Treacy. Schulz is not a small crumbling forward but continues in that role.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Games have been lost at the selectors table to often this season.
Playing favourites has reached epic proportions.
Conca being dropped with the put down explanation Blakely out and Crowden in, Tucker in after one game in Peel reserves . Schultz, left in for Treacy. Schulz is not a small crumbling forward but continues in that role.
Agree. Consistently losing on the selection table. Gambled against West Coast, dropped a Treacy and ever since hardly much changed. Calls have to be made and players given a proper role. We don’t have time to blood or build players in match fitness. That’s what Peel is for. Tucker isn’t even close to his form, and yet he’s playing across half back? Baffling.
Crowden being left in is also horrendous call. Didn’t offer much against Brisbane nor anything against West Coast. What do the coaches expect? JLo is playing favourites and he’s not looking good.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fyfe was poor, but I feel like the rest of what he does shades that, even on one of his worse kicking days.

Blakely is equal or worse than every Freo player on the field today at kicking. Lord knows we don't need more turnovers.
Aish and Acres can’t kick. They’ll just bomb it and pass on the buck. Not sure why we re worried about an inside player kicking. Jarrad Lyons can’t kick yet won best on yesterday.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Aish and Acres can’t kick. They’ll just bomb it and pass on the buck. Not sure why we re worried about an inside player kicking. Jarrad Lyons can’t kick yet won best on yesterday.
Aish is a miles better kick than Blakely and it's not even close. Acres, well it depends on the day.

Hang on, you just potted Fyfe for poor kicking but think it shouldn't matter for inside mids. Pick one.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think some have forgotten how awful Blakely was last season when he was given a run of games, sure he was OK v Brisbane but he had 14 handballs and 2 kicks for 42 metres gained.
Yeah I don't mind him as the 25-30th man or as the sub, but he isn't the answer to any of our problems.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
You are kidding me. My assessment of Shultz and Crowden isn’t just based on one losing game, it’s based on what they have done to this point in their career and sorry they are not the answer. As I said if your are happy with what Shultz and Crowden are dishing up every week then you may as well give up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don't think so at the start of the year Schultz was very effective, the only thing that has changed is dropping Treacy for Lobb, perhaps you are looking at the symptom not the cause.

Back