Preview Changes: R17 v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

"Adductor injury" :think:

Either he was injured in the Richmond match and shouldn't have played for 84% of the game, or the Crows are too embarrassed to drop him and admit he just had the worst performance ever, instead saying he was injured.

I mean you really shouldn't get injured when you're running around at low intensity doing absolutely nothing for most of the match, avoiding all contact and possession opportunities
Yep.

But watch him 'chase' Grimes, he almost looked as if he pulled up lame. My first thought was 'Oh **** hes done a hamstring'

No story beyond the obvious, just that we delisted Ed after only one season.

Rendell was a rap for him and spoke on radio at the time as being disappointed. Said that he thought Curnow would get back into the system and prove to be a good player.

What Rendell said about Ed Curnow was they got it wrong delisting him. At the time the lad had missed a lot of games due to concussion in the year he was here. Of course it didn't help he was playing for South who were getting flogged weekly. He certainly did rate him though.

So Hampton's remarkable run continues... how many times has he been injured in the very week he was about to be dropped? Once again, his fanbois will be able to say that he wasn't dropped, he was only injured, just as they've done in the past. Truly remarkable.
Not sure theres many left after Friday night, injured or not.

Yep.

But watch him 'chase' Grimes, he almost looked as if he pulled up lame. My first thought was 'Oh **** hes done a hamstring'
It would be more concerning if he wasn't injured - because that would have meant he deliberately wasn't trying

It would be more concerning if he wasn't injured - because that would have meant he deliberately wasn't trying
He just looked it. Normally Curtly is a smooth mover, but that incident didn't look right.

I mean he was putrid anyway.

Curtly looked a bit like Menzel did at times last year. Couldn't get his hands on it and subsequently dropped his head. Sometimes you can see in the body language that the players know they are done. You either drop a player knowing they won't make it, or you back them in to respond and prove the club wrong. If he comes back him in I would want to see him with with two of: 20 disposals / 2 goals / 8+ tackles.

Doubt we will win Thursday with the current strength of the team but wouldn't mind an 'honorable loss.'

You said he wouldn't fix enough of our problems. I disagree. He's an elite player and would have made our midfield elite, and provided he didn't get injured we would have so much more midfield depth right now.

On top of that part of our problem in the GF is we couldn't get our hands on the ball. Swap Greenwood, who had 13 touches, or plenty of others, with a player you could bank on getting 30+ and not giving up. That could have made a massive difference

Greenwood went in injured and picked up another during the game. From memory both Crouches went 30+ and Sloane was heading there until he responded to a tag in his usual manner. Rarely will a team have 4 x 30+ possession winners. Getting our hands on the ball wasn't the problem, having a set up that works under pressure was.

Greenwood went in injured and picked up another during the game. From memory both Crouches went 30+ and Sloane was heading there until he responded to a tag in his usual manner. Rarely will a team have 4 x 30+ possession winners. Getting our hands on the ball wasn't the problem, having a set up that works under pressure was.

We got absolutely smashed in contested ball, we were -30 for the day. We also lost clearances and inside 50s.

If we had a midfield more capable of winning the ball (the Crouch brothers did but basically no one else contributed), we could have distributed more effectively to our outside runners, which would have brought them into the game. Combine that with not picking such a tall side and we might have done better.

And you could absolutely bank on Cripps cracking in hard and refusing to give up. We had too many players that didn't on that day.

We got absolutely smashed in contested ball, we were -30 for the day. We also lost clearances and inside 50s.

If we had a midfield more capable of winning the ball (the Crouch brothers did but basically no one else contributed), we could have distributed more effectively to our outside runners, which would have brought them into the game. Combine that with not picking such a tall side and we might have done better.

And you could absolutely bank on Cripps cracking in hard and refusing to give up. We had too many players that didn't on that day.

Contested possessions is a full side stat, it's not just about the midfielders. We went -6 out of 85 clearances, we were beaten, but not destroyed. Our issue is that with our immobile forward line we can't win the ball back often enough because there's no pressure applied to their exiting players. This causes players to be risk adverse as they're scared to turn the ball over or be caught out if they run forward. We lose our braveness to run and end up chipping around which plays into the opposition's hands. We've been beaten by this same method a lot and sometimes we've won the clearance and inside 50 count. It's the quality differential that kills us.

What Rendell said about Ed Curnow was they got it wrong delisting him. At the time the lad had missed a lot of games due to concussion in the year he was here. Of course it didn't help he was playing for South who were getting flogged weekly. He certainly did rate him though.
Didn't he piss off because he was homesick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just looked it. Normally Curtly is a smooth mover, but that incident didn't look right.

I mean he was putrid anyway.
That is what I thought. The guy has some pace. I hadn't written him off until that game.
So I will be one that continued to put up my hand to endorse him.
For me I don't care about some injury excuse. That's crap. He delivered crap.

That is what I thought. The guy has some pace. I hadn't written him off until that game.
So I will be one that continued to put up my hand to endorse him.
For me I don't care about some injury excuse. That's crap. He delivered crap.
Yeah he's done either way. Either not good enough or not durable enough

Yep, and I feel like for all our clearance dominance this year, we have given the ball back to the opposition far too much from quick kicks out of the pack. Would love to see more line breaking run's from the midfielders, and Gooch is proving to be a fun player to watch with ball in hand!

You mean some active effort based outside positioning support, motion, and linking ? Cue in the Beach Boys 'Wouldn't it be nice'.

Yes. Was, has been and is.

I would love to hear more about our outside runners so that I could identify them.

Didn't he piss off because he was homesick?

No, we delisted him after a season at the end of '08, and he had to spend two years reviving his career at Box Hill before getting a second chance.

Tom Lee is the guy who quit and went home after 1 season with us, back to Claremont in WA at the end of '09.

If CEY is right to return he'd be close to coming straight into the AFL squad given he was selected to play prior to being taken out on a Friday a couple of weeks ago.

Would pick him ahead of Poholke myself.

In: Betts, Knight, Murphy, Keath,
Out: Douglas inj, Hampton(delist), Poholke omit, Fogarty omit

If CEY is right to return he'd be close to coming straight into the AFL squad given he was selected to play prior to being taken out on a Friday a couple of weeks ago.

Would pick him ahead of Poholke myself.

I’d prefer Murphy ahead of Poholke but they both should play Thursday.

Betts and Murphy in for Hampton and Douglas. We need speed, not CEY’s sloth impersonation.

Can’t help but feel we’ll wait another week on Eddie though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back