Preview Changes: R19 v Carlton

Ins & Outs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Also Campo must have MacKay in the side at all costs because he's a great guy and Ben Hart looks like a trucker working on the penski file hoping not to get caught out doing nothing.

I know it's only a little thing, but this pisses me off significantly - Hart fronts up to media engagements looking like a hobo, it's pathetic.

In pre season, I noted we had a problem of conceeding 4-5 goals in a row to the opposition, it happened in the pre season showdown and U23 Showdown, people shot me down saying its only pre season its not serious.

Well look at us now, it happens so often its become our brand.

We are unable to stop a run on of goals, we lack leadership when the chips are down, no one on field is saying we gotta rally and take it through the corridoor quickly.

Its always back the boys, back the gameplan, back the structure.

When are the players gonna grow a backbone mid game and realise s**t isnt working and play on instinct instead
Agree we need to grow a backbone but I think we may need to accept we are an average team. This is why it's important to start introducing some youth to see what we have and what we need. Currently 10-15 players of our team would struggle to get a game in about 80% of other teams first 22.

Last edited:
I love Rory but JFC...I’m sick of hearing that they back Tex in to turn his form around this week

That would be great but why doesn’t anyone back him in to produce an elite level effort and results week in week out instead of just bouncing back for one game out of four?

I don’t want “big game players”, I want “every game players”

I don’t want players who “respond”, I want players who perform

And what’s with “Inside the club he’s doing everything we need him to do”

Really? So does “everything” include his on field performance? Is he doing everything you need him to there?

I have no doubt that Tex is great with the kids during training and around the club - but couldn’t he do that and still get dropped for the match because his form’s not up to date?

Well, go ahead and play them all this week. Go on, do it. If we lose I can’t wait to hear what happens next week..

Last edited:

I love Rory but JFC...I’m sick of hearing that they back Tex in to turn his form around this week

That would be great but why doesn’t anyone back him in to produce an elite level effort and results week in week out instead of just bouncing back for one game out of four?

And what’s with “Inside the club he’s doing everything we need him to do”

Really? So does “everything” include his on field performance? Is he doing everything you need him to there?

I have no doubt that Tex is great with the kids during training and around the club - but couldn’t he do that and still get dropped for the match because his form’s not up to date?

Well, go ahead and play them all this week. Go on, do it. If we lose I can’t wait to hear what happens next week..
I feel they should change their motto from " We fly as one" to "We back them in." Marketing dept take note.

If I was in charge.

Fog for Tex
Gooch for Greenwood
Jones for Knight
Stengle for Murphy

Knight started well last week but if we are looking at players that at the heart of fading away after half time then his 2 touches after his 15 first half touches says it all.

I feel Murph just doesn't finish his work. Nothing wrong with his effort but his scoring is just below par. Misses easy shots/passes and burns momentum.

So great to hear that we back the boys in.

Well not Davis, looked a bit skinny and got manhandled by the top team in the comp so we can’t back him in.

And not Stengle, it was only Gold Coast so doesn’t really count y’know.

And not Jones... I mean we backed him in for a couple of weeks there, what more do you want?

Not Fogarty... he didn’t even score in sanfl playing half back! Not even worth backing in to start with.

See, we make the tough calls when necessary. That’s the mark of a true contender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's obviously on his way out but gee I've never seen a player cop so much systematic abuse as tex has over his career. Both from supporters and the footy world. Watching little kids berate him at the game over almost nothing is pretty sad. Obviously been listening to their parents hurl abuse at every opportunity.

It’s disgraceful - and the AFC hierarchy let it happen by having him as the sacrificial lamb last year.

So great to hear that we back the boys in.

Well not Davis, looked a bit skinny and got manhandled by the top team in the comp so we can’t back him in.

And not Stengle, it was only Gold Coast so doesn’t really count y’know.

And not Jones... I mean we backed him in for a couple of weeks there, what more do you want?

Not Fogarty... he didn’t even score in sanfl playing half back! Not even worth backing in to start with.

See, we make the tough calls when necessary. That’s the mark of a true contender.
And not Gooch. His second half in the showdown when concussed was a shocker. Didn't get near the ball.

He's obviously on his way out but gee I've never seen a player cop so much systematic abuse as tex has over his career. Both from supporters and the footy world. Watching little kids berate him at the game over almost nothing is pretty sad. Obviously been listening to their parents hurl abuse at every opportunity.
It’s beyond appalling. And the worst of it comes from our own supporters.

Lose game - must blame 13. 13 bad man.

Brain dead analysis.

It’s beyond appalling. And the worst of it comes from our own supporters.

Lose game - must blame 13. 13 bad man.

Brain dead analysis.
We as a club haven't helped him in the last 18 months. He's clearly not right, so don't play him.

If he spits the dummy then so be it, but the last 3 weeks he's had a very valid excuse for below par performances.

We as a club haven't helped him in the last 18 months. He's clearly not right, so don't play him.

If he spits the dummy then so be it, but the last 3 weeks he's had a very valid excuse for below par performances.
To be honest what’s not right is our midfield.

But hey - Sloane and Crouch brothers are A graders, so it can’t be them.

Must be 13.

To be honest what’s not right is our midfield.

But hey - Sloane and Crouch brothers are A graders, so it can’t be them.

Must be 13.

I got completely shot down earlier in the season for calling for Matt to be dropped.

3.3 tackles per game for an inside mid is absolutely deplorable
He's not winning clearances (barely averages 2 centre clearances per game)
His contested numbers are well down (compared to 2017)
His DE% is down
He doesn't kick goals
He doesn't chase or run defensively
No hurt factor with his disposal - dinky little kicks and handballs

The reason we looked better with CEY in the side was because he was doing Matt's job for him.

Gibbs was dropped when he was playing better than what Matt has been dishing up.

I have a whole range of thought bubbles floating around on just this point.

The gist of it is the club was burnt so bad by the Tippett issue and the Bailey saga ( banning) that there seems to be this constant need to show the AFL we arent going to play any kids at all as this could be construed as signs of tanking. So anytime an ''easybeat '' side comes up we bend over backwards to show we are going to play our optimal 22 ( I refuse to call it best 22 ) and any development of players is stifled

The unintended consequence is the players know they have the power to demand their spots , despite performance, and if the club doesnt kowtow they will leave. This triggers an urgent review and message from above to keep playing the optimal 22 at all costs

As noted just thought bubbles that have lots of holes
I have a different theory...

No Adelaide Senior Coach has survived after missing the finals for 2 consecutive seasons, since Cornes in 1991 & 1992. Pyke (and hopefully the assistants) are probably well aware that jobs are on the line if the team fails to make the finals this year. As a result, I think the selection committee (primarily the coaches) has developed a culture where there is a fear of failure.

This fear of failure is resulting in conservative selections. They would rather go with the tried and proven players, rather than risk failure by bringing in untested players who may or may not be ready. While the youngsters may thrive if given the opportunities, they may also fail - and the latter is more likely given the roles they are often assigned by the coaches. The coaches can't afford to fail, so they avoid selecting the younger players whenever possible ("Better the Devil You Know").

The demand that the club plays finals continuously is not based on an acceptance of mediocrity. It is demanding of excellence. However, it is unachievable, and creates a culture where "bottoming out" is unacceptable (even though this is the AFL's primary mechanism for obtaining elite talent) and team selections which are overly conservative.

I think it also doesn't help that the coaches have the final say in the weekly team selections. The coach's job is to win the game this week, then to win enough games to qualify for the finals, and ultimately to win the flag - this year. It's the Football Manager's role to look further ahead, and to ensure that succession planning is not forgotten in the chase for short-term goals. The FM should have a strong input into the team selections, with a view to selecting younger players in preparation for future seasons. I'd feel a lot more confident if I didn't know that our FM was Brett Burton.

lol

you've proven the point yet again. Its hilarious!

You do realise why Carlton are bottom 4 right? Because we had a club wide vote which was in almost unanimous agreement that we would rather be bottom for 3-4 years then be a powerhouse over being middle table. Like the crows fans love to be.

We want flags, not gloating over getting smacked in the one Grand Final for 20 years then back to middle table
Oh so you're a powerhouse or are going to be? Cool story bro.
And you admit to tanking? Right, deregister the club then. And it's an indication of what a s**t club you are that you think you have been poor for only 3-4 years.

Back