Preview Changes: R2 v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for a re-jig of our structures across the board I think. We missed any bigman presence at CHF last night with Tex being out.
If I were coach Id be looking to reward repeat efforts and defensive pressure in the forward half so Id leave out Jenkins for a bit.

Play Fogarty as a high leading forward. Gov FF and Tex CHF. Drop the 4 key tall idea altogether and play Thor deep alongside Gov until he gets his fitness up.
Stop bombing it in blindly.

I guess this comes down to how important you think that 2nd ruck position is.

Time for a re-jig of our structures across the board I think. We missed any bigman presence at CHF last night with Tex being out.
If I were coach Id be looking to reward repeat efforts and defensive pressure in the forward half so Id leave out Jenkins for a bit.

Play Fogarty as a high leading forward. Gov FF and Tex CHF. Drop the 4 key tall idea altogether and play Thor deep alongside Gov until he gets his fitness up.
And Lynchy

Funny how some posters are calling for the dropping of our whipping boys - JJ & Mackay, despite the fact they were nowhere near our worst players! How about we reward form, given our problem last night was a lack of contributors across the board & these 2 were contributors.

Greenwood I rate as a player, but was clearly not fit & should not have played... yet people are keeping him in the side & dropping CEY who got much more of the ball, because he was fit!

Both Fogerty & Murphy didn't get too much of the ball, but this is not usual for first year players. The issue is when you have too many players not getting much of the ball... particularly regulars like Atkins, then we are carrying too many like last night.

Thing is that our structure is tall absent. Ask anyone, JJ is a hard running flanker and we know that Tex is more a lead up player. We deliberately don't have a bomb to player. We trust that our system will deliver pressureless ball to our forwards in space. It's why we turn to s**t when our mids are under the pump and we can only bomb it in. But it's a conscious choice from our coaching group. They prefer a system that piles on the goals when our mids arevon top ahead of a forward group that can get their hands dirty and help drag us across the line.

Not much to write home about in the SANFL trial game looking to Friday's Richmond game when Milera, Poholke, Dear etc can't make the bests in front of top ups.

Match details

Port Adelaide 1.6 4.10 10.11 11.15 (81)
Adelaide 2.0 4.0 4.2 6.5 (41)

BEST
Adelaide: Loneragan, Rivers, Davis, Gallucci, McMahon, Cheney, Hill

Burton basically confirmed Walker and Keith should be good for round 2 in the Injury report both came up just a bit short. So I expect both of them hopefully Lynch's side strain is nothing serious.
If Tex is not fit and we play him, it shouts of desperation. Tex is not the sort of player we can have if he's not fit.

Not much to write home about in the SANFL trial game looking to Friday's Richmond game when Milera, Poholke, Dear etc can't make the bests in front of top ups.

Match details

BEST
Looks like the ball wasn't down the forward line too much

Thing is that our structure is tall absent. Ask anyone, JJ is a hard running flanker and we know that Tex is more a lead up player. We deliberately don't have a bomb to player. We trust that our system will deliver pressureless ball to our forwards in space. It's why we turn to s**t when our mids are under the pump and we can only bomb it in. But it's a conscious choice from our coaching group. They prefer a system that piles on the goals when our mids arevon top ahead of a forward group that can get their hands dirty and help drag us across the line.
Isn't that Gov's job?

Funny how some posters are calling for the dropping of our whipping boys - JJ & Mackay, despite the fact they were nowhere near our worst players! How about we reward form, given our problem last night was a lack of contributors across the board & these 2 were contributors.

Greenwood I rate as a player, but was clearly not fit & should not have played... yet people are keeping him in the side & dropping CEY who got much more of the ball, because he was fit!

Both Fogerty & Murphy didn't get too much of the ball, but this is not usual for first year players. The issue is when you have too many players not getting much of the ball... particularly regulars like Atkins, then we are carrying too many like last night.
About time Eddie came under the microscope a bit too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potential Outs:
Hampton injured
Greenwood injured/underdone
Murphy 1st year player managed
Fogerty 1st year player managed

It's an indictment on our culture that a supporter would even suggest the first game rookies should be dropped after a loss. That the excuse of management gets trotted out so casually is pathetic.

Kids aren't responsible for that loss. Atkins needs to be dropped. Needs to be made an example of to the senior group to lift their game and get out of their funk.

Out Hampton, Atkins ( who I didn't realise was playing)

In : take your pick

Shame those picking on Fogarty and Murphs, they are the last in the 22 picked, not the first held accountable for a loss...Neil Craig bullshit right there
CEY has to go. He's a solid SANFL player at best. He can't / won't get to contests and has no defensive pressure or spread.

Out:
CEY
Hampton
Douglas
Atkins
Greenwood

In:
Lynch
Gibson
Gucc
ROB
Milera

Tex 1 game in the sanfl for match fitness

Match details

BEST
If Gallucci is up to full fitness, he should be an in this week.

It's an indictment on our culture that a supporter would even suggest the first game rookies should be dropped after a loss. That the excuse of management gets trotted out so casually is pathetic.

Kids aren't responsible for that loss. Atkins needs to be dropped. Needs to be made an example of to the senior group to lift their game and get out of their funk.
I don't disagree with much of your thinking, but the issue is you can only carry so many young players in a team. Unfortunately one of Murphy or Fogerty probably needs to make way from our forward line this week, particularly with Tex & Lynch returning.

Mind you I prefer playing these young guys ahead of an underdone Greenwood, which was our worst selection this week.

I guess this comes down to how important you think that 2nd ruck position is.

Not very important at all if they intrust Jenkins to do it.
Sloane could quite easily cover his rucking output and its not like we win our ball off our ruckmans hands more than 25% of the time anyway.

I'm not sure Gibson will be right for next week....hamstring tightness wasn't it??
Sounds like it might be a few then.

Shuffling fringe players after 1 game is pointless anyway. Rat, CEY, etc need to respond next game though.

Does Hartigan have a match up against the tigers?

Presumably Talia goes to Jack and then we have Hartigan having to cover Townsend/Caddy/Edwards?

It could be worth going a bit smaller/quicker in defence on Thursday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back