Preview Changes: R5 2021 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicking goals is part of a forwards job. The other part is helping to lock it in for repeat forward entries and not allowing the ball to be waltzed up the other end repeatedly.
Yeah and part of a defenders job is to stop goals and set up forward entries..so if we have a great lockdownn defender that does not create much from defense like others do but stops his man from scoring goals..do we drop him

Personally, I'd be looking to get Hately and McAsey in, because we need more from our midfield and we need another tall defender. Both of these are matchup based to beat Freo.

After that - perhaps Worrell and Thilthorpe, but that depends on whether you're dropping someone or there's an injury.

Yeah and part of a defenders job is to stop goals and set up forward entries..so if we have a great lockdownn defender that does not create much from defense like others do but stops his man from scoring goals..do we drop him

Isn't both of them a "depends on what is around them" kind of deal?

Like if you have already have a great lockdown defender then adding another one isn't likely to be worth it if they're just doing that. Ditto forwards with goalscoring. Whereas both become an integral part of the puzzle if you've sorted out the other issues. How McAdam would be a rather standout example of this, seeing McHenry and Murphy rather emphatically cover every weakness and vice versa at the moment.

The other equivalent would be Hartigan, where he was a very capable lockdown defender, but we had Talia, and so was forced into a role that exposed his glaring flaws, namely offensive play.

Isn't both of them a "depends on what is around them" kind of deal?

Like if you have already have a great lockdown defender then adding another one isn't likely to be worth it if they're just doing that. Ditto forwards with goalscoring. Whereas both become an integral part of the puzzle if you've sorted out the other issues, with McAdam being a rather standout example of this.
for sure..I used the talia example to counter the Fog narrative being pushed by some that a forward that only kicks goals is no good having, because a very good lockdown defender that gets only a few touches can also be an extremely important player..just like a guy that is there to kick goals

Frampton is still in the side because the two blokes that could possibly replace him, that have been playing in the SANFL, havent shown anywhere near enough to justify taking his spot.. at the same time Frampton must also be doing exactly what the coaches want from him..

all that being said.. i’d still like to see TT take his spot this week..
I don't think RT needs to be bashing the door down. Just show he has the fundamentals and he should be picked

Any word on how McAdam and Lynch are tracking?

If those 2 both don't get up I highly doubt we drop Frampton. Annoying as that is!

I don't think RT needs to be bashing the door down. Just show he has the fundamentals and he should be picked
Crows are waiting to play him when Tex has a form dip, the Crows start losing games poorly and its an away game against a top 4 team.

#crowslogic

That’s probably spot on
I recall a time though Tex said he would want the Crouch boys delivering to him

like a butterfly born in a cage it was all he knew

i suddenly feel like listening to Smashing Pumkins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frampton will play this week...Freo have a strong ruck lineup. But if he doesn’t show some more value and EH has a good run in the SANFL, I reckon the question will be asked next week...

It’s pretty difficult to predict the changes week to week, but sometimes it’s a more interesting exercise to try to predict what the team will look like by Round 13-14.

I’m going with:

Out: Kelly, Frampton, Berry, Rowe, Fogarty

In: Worrell, Thilthorpe, Crouch, Pedlar, Sloane

B: Brown - Butts - McPherson
HB: Smith - Doedee - Worrell
C: Sholl - Crouch - Seedsman
HF: Sloane - Walker - Lynch
F: McAdam - Thilthorpe - Murphy
R: O’Brien - Laird - Keays
Int: McHenry, Pedlar, Hamill, Schoenberg

Emg: Kelly, Fogarty, Berry, Rowe

Notes:
1) If any of the back 6 named above or Hamill are injured, Kelly retains his spot. He’s very unlucky to miss out, and I suspect the reasonably constant flow of injuries at AFL level mean that he’ll end up keeping his spot anyway. It’s not out of the realms of possibility that we end up preferring Kelly over Hamill by or even Luke Brown. Tough one to predict. I just think Worrell’s arrival is imminent and that he’s definitely going to play behind the ball.

2) When Talia is ready to return (likely around Round 15), he’ll replace Butts or Worrell (assuming Doedee is fit). There’s just no way all of Talia, Butts, Worrell and Doedee can play in the same side, so it will be unfortunate any way you slice it.

3) A lot of people won’t like Fogarty slipping out of the team, but realistically he’s only in there right now because Sloane got injured. Many will want Fog retained over Lynch. I don’t think this happens in reality. Very different players. Very different roles.

4) It would be nice to see Pedlar and Berry play alongside each other, and I’m sure we will for many years to come, but for this season, it might be a case of one or the other once Sloane and Crouch are both back in the side. An injury to a Schoenberg, Keays or Laird would potentially open the door for them to both play in the same side.

5) McHenry is probably the 21st or 22nd guy picked here, but I just think he might survive because of his pressure. It’s what our game is based on (our skills aren’t great as a team), and I think he and Murphy have pretty valuable roles to play there, despite their obvious shortcomings.

6) Thilthorpe for Frampton is just a matter of time. Even if Himmelberg gets a crack in between, RT will definitely be in by the game after the bye, injury permitting.

7) Rowe dropping out has a feeling of inevitability about it. Pedlar, Sloane and Crouch have to replace small types, and I just don’t think he has enough weapons to stay in once they’re all available for AFL selection. Future injuries to smalls might save him, but he might even be out in the next fortnight when Pedlar inevitably earns a callup.

I think you might be in for a shock if wants out and he picks north..there will be no such remuneration offered for McAsey when they can walk him to the PSD for free

Pick 50 or thereabouts is all we'll get.

a bit concerned by Nicks comments that he'd like to go in unchanged every week.

I thought we got him to develop youth?

It's a bit of a throwaway comment. I mean, every coach wants to be going in unchanged week in week out as it means you're not having any problems whatsoever, everyone is performing to their best of their abilities, you're always winning etc.

We'll see what passes, Kelly twinging a calf pricked my ears up. We might be seeing Worrell debut this week depending on what comes back from those scans.

We'll see what passes, Kelly twinging a calf pricked my ears up. We might be seeing Worrell debut this week depending on what comes back from those scans.

Welcome back Dmac!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back