Preview Changes: R5 2021 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I've already acknowledged Fog's small sample size. I am also cogniscant that Fog's 25 games have been spread across 4 seasons, and he's done it consistently throughout this time. This indicates that it's not a "hot streak", like Porps' run of 19 consecutive goals, but simply a matter of having a near perfect kicking technique.

you say you understand sample size, and then go one to conclude that this small sample size is going to be representative of the future despite its historically unprecedented nature

that’s about as dumb as it gets

And this is why Nicks is highly unlikely to be a flag coach. You need to be prepared to drop players from winning sides and also not select injured seniors. He fails on both counts and it's not a passing phase based upon current situation, they're key foundations of his total philosophy. The people who rated his philosophies on footy also rated Pyke's, there's a lot that will align between the 2. It can't be any other way.
Totally agree, I would absolutely love to see the hard calls be made. The last time we had a coach like that was Blight and look what happened there.

If anyone wants proof of how batshit Vader’s claims are - and I say this knowing there is literally no one taking them seriously, not even the bottom lip tremblers calling holding him accountable to be a “pile on”

presumably majority criticisms of noted thinkers such as Donald Trump, Sarah Palin, Marjorie Taylor Greene or Dan Quayle are also a “pile on”

consider Fog’s SANFL stats:
2021 1 game 1 goal 100% accuracy
2020 0 games
2019 18 games 12 goals 55% accuracy
2018 9 games 5 goals 63% accuracy
2017 4 games 0 goals

So a guy who was a 55% sharp shooter in 2019 and a 63% shooter in 2018 (27 games)

Is going to be a historically great >80% accurate goal kicker based on 25 AFL games?

bitch please

Continuity. Where have we heard that before?
He has always said that’s it’s a long season and that teams use anywhere from 28-35 players off their list i.e. plays will get tired/sore and others will come in. I think Worrell for Hamill (managed) and Berg for Frampton are the changes this week. Maybe Hately for Berry if he needs a rest.

Same sh*t, different day.
Context of that statement is useful before you all start melting, see my post above. Nicks does like continuity (all coaches do), but he’s also said multiple times that the average players used per team is anywhere from 28-35 and therefore there will be plenty of opportunities, even if you aren’t getting a game early on. Worrell, Hately and Berg are the next three to roll through I reckon.

And this is why Nicks is highly unlikely to be a flag coach. You need to be prepared to drop players from winning sides and also not select injured seniors. He fails on both counts and it's not a passing phase based upon current situation, they're key foundations of his total philosophy. The people who rated his philosophies on footy also rated Pyke's, there's a lot that will align between the 2. It can't be any other way.

Was disappointed we didn't rest Lynch if he had a foot issue; seemed like the perfect time.

Would've also been a real clear change of philosophy.

Was disappointed we didn't rest Lynch if he had a foot issue; seemed like the perfect time.

Would've also been a real clear change of philosophy.
Could argue a poor mismanagement of players?

What did we gain by smashing North by 40+ by playing an injured Lynch?

What has happened to McAsey? Is he injured or just not playing well? I thought he was going to kick on this season but he seems to have disappeared.
Playing well in the 2s, but has suffered a bit with us going with a smaller lineup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2 tall forward (richmond structure) seems to be the best one that suits us. It's a matter of working out who are our two best tall forwards. Frampton is not one of them.

Walker through his current form is taking one of the spots for now. Who out of Thilthorpe, Himmelberg and Fogarty is the best option as the 2nd tall? I would be feel the club wants Thilthorpe to be the 2nd tall forward anf replace Walker as the main guy once he retires otherwise they massively stuffed up not taking McDonald. We do know that Fogarty is definitely not a midfielder so who out of Himmelberg and Fogarty is the best long term prospect?

Both players need to be given a run. I do know that playing Himmelberg in the SANFL is not helping him as he is clearly not happy about being there. I would give both players a decent run before they make any decisions to trade anyone. Then again one of one of the players may take the decision out of our hands and ask to be traded.

Playing all of Walker, Frampton, Lynch, Fogarty/Himmelberg is a recipe for disaster as the ball is walked out of our forward line. The other problem is that our smalls aren't performing so we have some major problems with our forward line at present.

The coaches need to look into whether our current setup is the best forward line that we can come up with from our entire squad? Are they missing something.
Our two best KPF are Tex and Fog....My question is, why does the 2nd ruck have to be a forward?

I noticed Nick's incessantly mentions "young group". Watch his pressers after a match and count the amount of times he uses it. Are we really as young a group in correlation to the amount of times he uses it? I also wonder for how many years he will hang onto using the term "young group?" He needs to stop using the term at it's becoming somewhat of a crutch. I also think he uses it as justification for not playing more kids.

I noticed Nick's incessantly mentions "young group". Watch his pressers after a match and count the amount of times he uses it. Are we really as young a group in correlation to the amount of times he uses it? I also wonder for how many years he will hang onto using the term "young group?" He needs to stop using the term at it's becoming somewhat of a crutch. I also think he uses it as justification for not playing more kids.

I mean, average age of 24.5 and 63 games on the weekend (which would be one of the youngest). List wise, we're the equal youngest in the league at 23.8.

So it holds up.

I mean, average age of 24.5 and 63 games on the weekend. List wise, we're the equal youngest in the league at 23.8.
That average would be lower without the sub who didn't get on the ground...

No huge fan but there is no way Kelly will be dropped after career best game against GC and serviceable against North

ins Himmelberg
outs Frampton

they will have to rotate the sub ; do they play Hately as sub and Dmac sanfl ?

or hately in and Berry as sub?? ( prefer hately sub)

looking forward to Pedlar debut fairly soon but give him another run in sanfl and get him in the week after or so

I agree with these two changes. We need to bolster our pure-midfield options, as our setup today won't cut it vs. Fyfe/Mundy/Cerra/Brayshaw.

I'd accept Himmelberg for Billy, but prefer us to fast-track Riley.

McAdam & Hamill are on the edge for me. Shane turning into a last quarter expert. Was putrid before then.

Worrell = very close.
McAdam played with one arm and kicked 3 , if he’s fit he plays . He frees tex up by being dangerous in the air

McAdam played with one arm and kicked 3 , if he’s fit he plays . He frees tex up by being dangerous in the air
He's the better type of decoy for Tex than Frampton. ;)

He's the better type of decoy for Tex than Frampton. ;)
By a million times

disappointing that Himmelberg hasn’t got himself right to play in front of Frampton

it’s on him and the selectors , each to blame

Thilthorpe - we need to have patience , will be playing soon

can’t wait for Pedlar, he’s going to be something

Tex said the best 4 kickers to him during his career are in order McLeod, Bernie, Sholl and Lynch

I do wonder how envious you'd get if you were Tex if you knew Thilthorpe is going to have Sholl supplying him ball for majority of his career (fingers crossed of course). That'd almost add 50 goals to Riley.

Apologies if you weren't intending to be one of the 50 posters having a go at me in this thread.
Seriously, I think you make a lot of interesting and thoughtful posts. Your BF longevity and volume of posts make you a valuable contributor. It's only when you're presented with several counter-arguments with reasonable logic that you dig in, repeat yourself, and defend what many have argued against.
There's a saying: " 'If you run into an @sshole in the morning, you ran into an @sshole. If you run into @ssholes all day, you're the @sshole.' ".
Have 50 people "had a go" at you in this thread? I didn't count. Several have disagreed. Could it be only 10?
Think: are they all wrong and you're right? Why does it matter so much to you that you dig in so hard?

You've repeated several times that Fog was on the end of lace-out passes down his throat and his 3 goals were the result of the hard work of others. No pressure, easy. I disagree and here's why:
Please, please watch the highlights again, duration 7.34.
--- the pass he gets from Schoenberg @ 1.38 is smack on his chest, but he's got himself in the right place and that's not an easy kick for goal, which he nails. Important goal, I might add, at that time of the game.
--- Frampton to Fog 3.01, good pass (probably the only decent thing Frampton did all day), but Fog is in good position on the lead and it's another tricky shot for goal, which he nails. Another important goal, adding scoreboard pressure.
--- Schoenberg to Fogarty @ 6.33, another good lead, another good pass, another good mark and goal. Look at the scoreboard 78-62. The goal makes it 84-62, a NM heart-breaker. Slams the door. If Fog misses, 79-62,and if NM rebound for a goal it's an 11-point game and they've got a sniff.

If I was a Coach, I'd love to have a player who leads-marks-cleanly-kicks goals like that, and the Crows have two.
Ignore all the white noise about Fogarty/Lockett etc, that's just opinion/conjecture and easy to agree to disagree.
However, your dismissal of Fog's goals and his impact on the game has been both distorted and unfair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back