Preview Changes: R5 2021 vs Fremantle

I can neither confirm, nor deny, the truth of this allegation. ;)
giphy.gif

Sep 2, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
My preference:
Out: Frampton, Fogarty
In: TT, Hately

** Depending upon injuries to Lynch, McAdam & Smith

I'd really like to be selecting Pedlar instead of Hately, given what I saw of him in the pre-season and read about his SANFL performance last week. Unfortunately, I think he's still a bit short of a gallop, and needs another 1-2 SANFL games to get himself match-fit. Even so, I'd still be tempted to bring him in, even if he only plays half a game - I really rate him that highly.

Dropping Frampton is a no-brainer. He's literally been worse than useless for 2 weeks running. TT probably still has aspects of his game which need attention, but Frampton's form demands dropping and Himmelberg is not a viable alternative at this point in time.

Dropping Fogarty for Hately (or Pedlar) goes some way towards fixing the midfield deficit created by replacing Sloane with Fog.

I wouldn't be completely averse to dropping Frampton, bringing in Hately (or Pedlar), and leaving Fogarty in as the 2nd forward. We certainly can't play Walker/Fog/Frampton in the same forward line, but I could live with Walker/Fog. Of course, this leaves us without any ruck support for ROB...
Let Lynch do the back up job for ROB..
Then he can finally break the "master connector"
tag that he is totally overrated in.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
My preference:
Out: Frampton, Fogarty
In: TT, Hately

** Depending upon injuries to Lynch, McAdam & Smith

I'd really like to be selecting Pedlar instead of Hately, given what I saw of him in the pre-season and read about his SANFL performance last week. Unfortunately, I think he's still a bit short of a gallop, and needs another 1-2 SANFL games to get himself match-fit. Even so, I'd still be tempted to bring him in, even if he only plays half a game - I really rate him that highly.

Dropping Frampton is a no-brainer. He's literally been worse than useless for 2 weeks running. TT probably still has aspects of his game which need attention, but Frampton's form demands dropping and Himmelberg is not a viable alternative at this point in time.

Dropping Fogarty for Hately (or Pedlar) goes some way towards fixing the midfield deficit created by replacing Sloane with Fog.

I wouldn't be completely averse to dropping Frampton, bringing in Hately (or Pedlar), and leaving Fogarty in as the 2nd forward. We certainly can't play Walker/Fog/Frampton in the same forward line, but I could live with Walker/Fog. Of course, this leaves us without any ruck support for ROB...
OK - have you seen any of Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Himmelberg or Hately play any game-time since the start of the season? Actually watched them play in a game (not highlights) ... before this judgement was made?

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fogarty came into the team to replace the injured Sloane.

In doing so, we weakened our midfield to the extent that the worst team in the competition were able to beat us for 3/4 of the game. Simultaneously, we also weakened our forward line, by unbalancing it and making it too tall & slow. Fogarty is like a witches hat when the opposition are streaming the ball out of defence. His presence arguably cost us as many goals as he kicked, due to the lack of forward defensive pressure - both in repeat I50s we didn't get, and opposition goals created by their ability to rebound easily out of defence.

We figuratively robbed both Peter and Paul, and paid nobody. If you're doing that, then you're certainly not helping the development of the other kids around him in the team.

And yet, he spent a lot of time playing in the forward lines, and we pushed other players through the middle.

"Simultaneously, we also weakened our forward line, by unbalancing it and making it too tall & slow."

I sort of agree with this; so drop Frampton, who has had a multiple irrelevant matches; or McAdam, who seems like more of a front-runner than Fogarty. Or one of the small forwards who are in the side to do the pressure job up forward.

Or, as someone else said, kick it to the advantage of our forwards so they can take a mark, and defensive pressure in the F50 becomes less of an issue.

"His presence arguably cost us as many goals as he kicked, due to the lack of forward defensive pressure - both in repeat I50s we didn't get, and opposition goals created by their ability to rebound easily out of defence."

This is just ridiculous Vader. I'm not trying to join the pile on here, but this has got to be trolling.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
OK - have you seen any of Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Himmelberg or Hately play any game-time since the start of the season? Actually watched them play in a game (not highlights) ... before this judgement was made?
I watched all of our pre-season games, both the AFL & SANFL variants. I haven't seen the 2 SANFL H&A games.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
And yet, he spent a lot of time playing in the forward lines, and we pushed other players through the middle.

"Simultaneously, we also weakened our forward line, by unbalancing it and making it too tall & slow."

I sort of agree with this; so drop Frampton, who has had a multiple irrelevant matches; or McAdam, who seems like more of a front-runner than Fogarty. Or one of the small forwards who are in the side to do the pressure job up forward.

Or, as someone else said, kick it to the advantage of our forwards so they can take a mark, and defensive pressure in the F50 becomes less of an issue.

"His presence arguably cost us as many goals as he kicked, due to the lack of forward defensive pressure - both in repeat I50s we didn't get, and opposition goals created by their ability to rebound easily out of defence."

This is just ridiculous Vader. I'm not trying to join the pile on here, but this has got to be trolling.
I'm not completely averse to the idea of dropping Frampton, keeping Fogarty in the forward line, and bringing Hately in as the replacement. That would, at least, fix the mess we made of the midfield last weekend. It also goes some way towards addressing the problem of having too many slow tall forwards, lacking defensive pressure. On the flipside, it leaves us without any backup options for ROB (other than Walker's occasional pinch hit in the forward line).

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I'm not completely averse to the idea of dropping Frampton, keeping Fogarty in the forward line, and bringing Hately in as the replacement. That would, at least, fix the mess we made of the midfield last weekend. On the flipside, it leaves us without any backup options for ROB (other than Walker's occasional pinch hit in the forward line).
Welcome to the dark side (darker side?)

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Welcome to the dark side (darker side?)
I'd still prefer to drop both of them, but getting rid of Frampton and replacing him with a midfielder, does address some of the headaches which Fogarty's selection created last week. Getting rid of Frampton is a higher priority than dropping Fogarty.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Maybe we should get a bit more serious with our ins and 0uts, we are Playing Freo, who have a few tall rucks, and a good midfield when they win the taps.
You don't go short in the ruck against them,
Our Current midfield will not win against Freo, They do not have enough ball winner at this time.
Remove a backup ruck and replace them with 195size part-time ruck will remove any chance of beating Freo in the middle and will have to hope they don't kick straight, and we can get some run from the backline.

If we want to beat Freo, we need more ball winners in the middle and ensure our chop out ruck break even.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
People are going to be terribly disappointed when they realise they only way you're going to be dropped from this team after a win is if you're injured.

Coach has been banging on about consistency with a young group for weeks now. He's mentioned a fair few times that players are playing their individual roles, Frampton is not going to be dropped this week as much as we would all like to see Thilthorpe ( or anyone other than Frampton) it ain't happening until we lose a game Maybe even 2 in a row.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
People are going to be terribly disappointed when they realise they only way you're going to be dropped from this team after a win is if you're injured.

Coach has been banging on about consistency with a young group for weeks now. He's mentioned a fair few times that players are playing their individual roles, Frampton is not going to be dropped this week as much as we would all like to see Thilthorpe ( or anyone other than Frampton) it ain't happening until we lose a game Maybe even 2 in a row.
Continually playing him will lead to those losses so he should be out soon.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

And this is why Nicks is highly unlikely to be a flag coach. You need to be prepared to drop players from winning sides and also not select injured seniors. He fails on both counts and it's not a passing phase based upon current situation, they're key foundations of his total philosophy. The people who rated his philosophies on footy also rated Pyke's, there's a lot that will align between the 2. It can't be any other way.

Back