Preview Changes: R5 2021 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Before the 2012 prelim there was a section of the fangroup demanding Tippett be dropped for Jenkins because Tippett's form was horrible and Jenkins had a streak of several games in a row with 7/8 goal hauls in the SANFL.

If you mean since the existence of the Crows SANFL team, Podsiadly had similar form toward the end of 2015.

Definitely since our SANFL team. The overly tall comment was a function of having to play our next ruck plus the rookie ruck alongside developing tall forwards. Tex I reckon kicked bags back in the day for Norwood. Pods I think retired kicking goals at the level, he wasn't on the way up. But you point is well made, it's a rarity. Similar to the point I made.

:think: :think: *thinking*
So, you're saying Nicks is happy with Frampton's game, for reasons that we don't know, is that it?
BUT:

:sneaky:
I doubt that Nicks is happy with Frampton's last two games, for several reasons previously stated. I'd like to see Frampton dropped, but we both know it's out of our hands.
I just want them to beat Freo :).

I think we'd be better off being humbled by Freo. I hope we get smoked, Nicks needs to learn.

It makes me envious looking at all these teams that won last week making unforced changes.

It is something we very very rarely do after a win. We desperately need to as we are carrying a few and beat a trash team.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's an overarching club philosophy. We only employ those that align, Nicks is no different.

And the result 1 less young player gets opportunities in a rebuild being kept out by a 29 year old..

Just because you have him on the list doesn't mean you need to select him. Plus, the poster had him replacing Frampton, who even the most rampant selection apologist woukdnt see as being developed for our next contending side. But they do value highly out of form senior players providing leadership, so why wouldn't Hugh add value?

Overall wasn't impressed with his game against the Roos, but have liked he's been a bit quicker with his ball use this year and hasn't help up the play massively like he was doing in the past.

Pyke was a total dud coach. Fixing Kelly was easy. He just needed to be told he had no future if his first decision was to look sideways. And at the end of the day, a % of sideways options as a last resort is acceptable, but if you're incapable of seeing and executing a forward target 75% of the time then you're done. Pyke embraced and encouraged risk free sideways movement. He loved working slingshot too, but he loved safe and predictable also.

Of course we should always be learning, but what specifically does Nicks need to learn?

Always look for improvement at selection. Don't carry underperforming players just because the others got the job done. Especially when the job was beating what will prove to be the worst team of the last 2 decades. Although, that will probably be a tie with the team we fell over the line against at home the week before.

But you're right, he won't learn. Continuity is a core belief of his, not an idea that can change as further information comes to hand.

Thilthorpe is just at an SANFL stage of his development.

Is that right? So he is genuinely worse than BF and EH? Don't know why the club insists on keeping kids in the SANFL for years regardless.

I get it might not have worked well for McAsey throwing him straight in but Fogarty surely can't have benefitted from all the SANFL stuff given he seems to just be better suited to AFL level.

It seems intolerable not to even get an early season look at RT when the alternative is BF.

Between Vader getting in a twist over team balance being out of whack because (if you didn't know) Fogarty replaced Sloane. Yeah Fog threw out our perfectly balanced line up. He is just the worst.

Then we have 1970 getting angrier and angrier over everything. Hoping we get smashed, teaching everyone a lesson, old old old.

Add in the 'we pushed Greenwood out too early' crap and this thread is officially rubbish :-|

We are rebuilding from the lowest base in the club's history. I'm loving the changes in how we represent the jumper. I refuse to get into the short term mindset that is being displayed on here in most threads.

Winning and losing is not the measure.
How many young players we blood by round 5 is not the measure.
Average age is not the measure.

It's a much more holistic thing than any of those. This is an early step towards a much longer and harder goal. Look for the small changes, be excited by the signs. Maybe try not to burn the guys that are working the hardest, sacrificing the most to get their club where we all want it go? Our older players will not see the fruits of this labour ... Respect that.

Sermon over.

I hope we get to see Worrell play this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were proposing removing the following players - Kelly (medium tall), Smith (mid), Lynch (mid), and Frampton (tall), with Worrell (tall), Murray (tall), Hately (mid), and HBerg (tall). Hately & Smith cancel each other out, as do Murray/Kelly and Frampton/HBerg. That leaves Worrell (tall) replacing Lynch (mid), which is a mismatch.

We've already unbalanced our side, by bringing Fogarty in as Sloane's replacement. We really don't want to unbalance it further, by replacing another mid/running player with another tall.

** I know Lynch isn't really a mid - but he is a running medium tall, whose job description relates more to his gut running than it does to his height.
Your categorisation of players is simplistic & flawed.

Berg for Frampton - like for like.

Hately comes in for Lynch, so him & Fog effectively replace Sloane & Lynch. Both are bigger bodies who can tackle the bigger Freo mids & play forward.

Freo have 3 tall forwards, so we need a taller defence. Murray will be needed for Lobb & Worrell has the ability to play on all sizes as does Doedee.

I'm not saying it would be good in the long run Bicks. But in his current form you would love to him in the team.

I swear you never used to be this contrary all the time.
Oh, yes he was. :-D

Hately for Lynch sounds good. It's time to move on from Lynch.
Literally a week ago there was an article on AFL.com.au saying that Lynch was the best at his role in the entire league.

Is that right? So he is genuinely worse than BF and EH? Don't know why the club insists on keeping kids in the SANFL for years regardless.

I get it might not have worked well for McAsey throwing him straight in but Fogarty surely can't have benefitted from all the SANFL stuff given he seems to just be better suited to AFL level.

It seems intolerable not to even get an early season look at RT when the alternative is BF.
I think the RT remaining in the sanfl for the time being is a form and match fitness issue more than him “being worse than EH and BF”..

lad just looks like he needs to work on his match fitness and polish. Let him build it in the sanfl.

i just think the club has simply decided “whats the rush?” When it comes to Riley..

and its probably the correct option. Why rush him? The club is in rebuild mode and we are looking at a player who they hope to have performing for them for the next 10 to 15 years..

Literally a week ago there was an article on AFL.com.au saying that Lynch was the best at his role in the entire league.

Indeed. However, I'm afraid I have to agree with 1970 on this one: if Lynch is injured, he should not be playing at all. We don't need to carry injured players this year.

I think we'd be better off being humbled by Freo. I hope we get smoked, Nicks needs to learn.
Interesting thought, especially if Frampton is retained and the Crows win, but I see Freo at home as more winnable than Hawthorn in Launceston. Freo has lost 2 away games to Melb. and Hawthorn, suggesting they don't travel well.

Frampton as an OUT sticks out like the proverbials but, yeah, if he's retained, plays another dud game and the Crows get belted at home tomorrow, you'd expect Nicks to learn and wake up.
The problems with that are
--- I wouldn't want Thilthorpe's first game to be vs Hawks down there, and
--- it'll be two games too late, the Crows'll be 3-3 potentially 3-4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back