Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs West Coast Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone tell me why NOD and Walker havent been in from the start this year after both being so prominent last year?
Walker might have to be something to do with his final series last year.
NOD had a hot spot in his foot and had a quite a few weeks on the sidelines and has only started to play again

Plus just Jäegermeister Half forward, I think he can give us more than Bailey and see what happens.
Surely you play Ras in that position instead. They started Daicos amd Ashford from HB to ease them into it with rotations through the midfield. We can do the same from half forward for Ras.

Surely you play Ras in that position instead. They started Daicos amd Ashford from HB to ease them into it with rotations through the midfield. We can do the same from half forward for Ras.

That could work but we did give the Meister fours years and he kicked two goals. Gotta find him a position somewhere.

No, but it needs to be changed. Whether that means Switta and Aish or Jackson or Wagner O'Driscoll and maybe one of Johnson or Erasmus. None of these options are ideal at present but we have assumed too much with Brayshaw and Serong and are acting like the inside mid roles to them is a given. Being soundly beaten 5 out of the last 6 games including preseason games suggests differently. Like I say they will probably be ok next week but it doesn't mean the problem is solved.
This all makes sense but do you seriously think our main issue right now is not our forward line?

No, but it needs to be changed. Whether that means Switta and Aish or Jackson or Wagner O'Driscoll and maybe one of Johnson or Erasmus. None of these options are ideal at present but we have assumed too much with Brayshaw and Serong and are acting like the inside mid roles to them is a given. Being soundly beaten 5 out of the last 6 games including preseason games suggests differently. Like I say they will probably be ok next week but it doesn't mean the problem is solved.
Agree. Most here would you have you believe its only a forward issue. Even same issue last year is the slow movement from the back half and really poor disposal by the mids into the forwards

I think JOM showed he deserves a HF position. Can mark, can outbody opponent, can goal consistently even under pressure. Seems novel for us but should possibly reward that? Also thought we were too slow against Saints through the middle, and Switta thrown in there against north changed that completely. Should stick with that which has been shown to work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think JOM showed he deserves a HF position. Can mark, can outbody opponent, can goal consistently even under pressure. Seems novel for us but should possibly reward that? Also thought we were too slow against Saints through the middle, and Switta thrown in there against north changed that completely. Should stick with that which has been shown to work.
Yeh would like see switta in there. He isn't big but he is evasive. Need also a big bodied mid in there too. Maybe have Jackson in there more and brayshaw to the wing

That's all very well, except we got smashed inside 5 out of the last 6 games we played. We need to look for alternatives in there. We may get away with our present set-up against certain teams with smaller midfielder but teams have learnt how to stop us by putting mature bodies against our inside mids.
Oh I agree with you. I'm merely pointing out that with "narrow loss" don't expect the world to change. Everyone is probably still saying that nothing's wrong.

This all makes sense but do you seriously think our main issue right now is not our forward line?
Both areas need improvement. Staying with the same midfield that is getting consistently wiped is not something I support. Who knows how long, if ever, Serong and Brayshaw will take to fill that role at a acceptable, consistent level. They have had plenty of time and opportunities. Time to see if we have better options. Or at least better rotations.

The forward line relies too heavily on bombing long and trying to scramble a goal. Which is odd seeing most of the time There is no smalls at the feet. And if there is, they are usually second to react. There is very little system and leading. Maybe players who do that naturally may help but it is useless if players up the ground kick it straight to the opposition, to an out-number or bomb it long rather than looking for a leading player.
Both areas need work. I'm sure the coaches hoped we had midfield sorted but it doesn't look like it, to me anyway

Agree. Most here would you have you believe its only a forward issue. Even same issue last year is the slow movement from the back half and really poor disposal by the mids into the forwards
I noticed, this week at least, that Wilson and Clarke came from behind to give the marking player a run past option. That's a good start

I noticed, this week at least, that Wilson and Clarke came from behind to give the marking player a run past option. That's a good start
Yes. When Pearce, Cox, Ryan mark it they should be looking to pass it off to either young, Wilson, Clarke to run it out of the backline. Most time, you see them mark it, stop, prop and then kick to each other laterally then down the line. No problem change direction but the decision making is so slow

The puzzling thing is that Brodie was a beast in there getting the ball out, he seems to now have gone backwards.

I didn't catch any of the Eagles match yesterday..
Were they much improved or were GWS really poor?

On SM-G975U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Little from Column A, Little from Column b.
They were also missing Kelly and Whitfield due to concussion.

They have them way to much space running though the middle that’s for sure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back