Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs West Coast Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So, it was Will Brodie who was made the scapegoat...

That's pretty insane.
Not really that insane to me. He’s our main clearance extractor and most of our problems stem from the fact we can’t win a clearance and get the ball quickly into our forward line.

Last week we won the inside 50s 53- 46 and scoring shots 22 - 18

We won the territory battle but lost by 1 point.
That’s lovely.

we conceded territory and the opposition either scored or then set up so our constipated ball movement from the backline and ours s**t forwards made it hard to score.

winning the inside 50’s convincingly both weeks and getting beaten by two s**t teams does not point to an elite midfield performance

Not really that insane to me. He’s our main clearance extractor and most of our problems stem from the fact we can’t win a clearance and get the ball quickly into our forward line.
Isn't that exactly why he should be in the team?

We are somehow expecting to improve our clearances by dropping our best clearance player.

Do people still think our problem is in the midfield?

My Gods.
Huh? This is what the coach and players are saying. We are getting smashed in clearances, conceding territory and trying to launch everything from defence.

How could you think the midfield isn’t the problem?

Get smashed in the clearances 2 weeks in a row and the main guy in charge of clearances is not performing, not sure where the surprise is coming from?

Unfortunately Brodie is a little one dimensional and that is starting to get found out, having both him and JOM in the midfield isn't working at the moment and JOM has more strings to his bow.

Back Brodie to work on his game and come back

Last week we won the inside 50s 53- 46 and scoring shots 22 - 18

We won the territory battle but lost by 1 point.
Do people still think our problem is in the midfield?

My Gods.
Well yeah. Almost all of our i50s were generated from the back half. That does not point to a good midfield at all. If they so much as draw even in the clearances then we win that game by 4-5 goals.

The forward line is a problem, but the midfield is a much bigger problem.

So, it was Will Brodie who was made the scapegoat...

That's pretty insane.

Changes needed to be made and someone had to be dropped. It was clear that JOM and Brodie in the same midfield was too slow. It was why picking up JOM was strange. Also - Brodie form wise has dropped off from half way through last season and has started poorly. A mid needed to be dropped.

Yes insane

How does Hughes keep his spot over Brodie

They play different positions. Wing, apart from when AA teams are considered, is a completely different position. Brodie or JOM couldn't play wing.

I don't like Hughes or Banners in the team. My preference would be Chappy or Young on the wing. Johnson and Ras HFF/Mids.

He was out of form, along with many others. Is slow, doesn't play multiple positions and isn't great by foot. JOM played better than him last week. Will be an interesting midfield mix this week.

Both the midfield and forwards are a problem. One is getting belted in the contest the other is playing dumb, lazy football.

For mine, the midfield group makes more sense this week. Aish is actually really good whenever he goes in there and can probably provide close to what Brodie does but with more spread. Hopefully we genuinely are committing to Switta and Jackson playing large chunks in there because they provide the ex-factor that midfield sorely lacks and the two of them genuinely win clearances that give our shitty forwards an advantage. I also think MJ will dominate when he comes on, adding fresh legs to the middle as it tires.

I’d also kill to see Chapman or Clark on a wing instead of Hughes but this is enough “experimentation” for one week. They seem to have decided they dont want to touch the balance in the backline which I think is a missed opportunity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both the midfield and forwards are a problem
Yep. This is my point. Lumping all the responsibility onto the midfield is getting tiresome. They will carry their portion of the blame, but this whole 'it's not the forwards fault' line is confusing.

When do we start asking the really obvious question: Maybe our forwards just aren't good enough at the moment?

Both the midfield and forwards are a problem. One is getting belted in the contest the other is playing dumb, lazy football.

For mine, the midfield group makes more sense this week. Aish is actually really good whenever he goes in there and can probably provide close to what Brodie does but with more spread. Hopefully we genuinely are committing to Switta and Jackson playing large chunks in there because they provide the ex-factor that midfield sorely lacks and the two of them genuinely win clearances that give our shitty forwards an advantage. I also think MJ will dominate when he comes on, adding fresh legs to the middle as it tires.

I’d also kill to see Chapman or Clark on a wing instead of Hughes but this is enough “experimentation” for one week. They seem to have decided they dont want to touch the balance in the backline which I think is a missed opportunity

If Brodies out of form you bring in your next best 1st hands man … Erasmus

Seems pretty desperate to rely on a couple of ‘maybe’ mids to turn around our clearance problems in a game this important to our season

If Brodies out of form you bring in your next best 1st hands man … Erasmus

Seems pretty desperate to rely on a couple of ‘maybe’ mids to turn around our clearance problems in a game this important to our season
Probably a fair call but I’m prepared to see how it works before writing it off

Yep. This is my point. Lumping all the responsibility onto the midfield is getting tiresome. They will carry their portion of the blame, but this whole 'it's not the forwards fault' line is confusing.

When do we start asking the really obvious question: Maybe our forwards just aren't good enough at the moment?
There’s a fairly large difference between lumping all of the responsibility onto the midfield and rebutting a claim that Brodie was a scapegoat. Is anyone actually claiming that the forwards have done their job?

Not true. I listened to that podcast. Schofield wasn't quoting Simpson. He isn't privy to the Eagles inner sanctum anymore. He was just doomsaying to get a rise out of the Restump boys. And as for derbies in general, he said that Worsfold and Simpson never coached or prepared for them any differently to a regular AFL game.
Hrmmm interesting take. Did I say it was a quote? No, I said that was the messaging.

I've copped a lot of s**t and been taghed in a lot of s**t from a legion of Coast fans.

Please win Freo. I dont care if it's by a point. Just win!
I hope we win too, but couldn't care less about Toast fans - I hope a win will stop some of the vitriol and eating our own. Not seen anything like it in my 20 years or so on BF. I get people are angry about unmet expectations but gee it's grim around here at the moment, especially after just two rounds.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Changes needed to be made and someone had to be dropped. It was clear that JOM and Brodie in the same midfield was too slow. It was why picking up JOM was strange. Also - Brodie form wise has dropped off from half way through last season and has started poorly. A mid needed to be dropped.

They play different positions. Wing, apart from when AA teams are considered, is a completely different position. Brodie or JOM couldn't play wing.

I don't like Hughes or Banners in the team. My preference would be Chappy or Young on the wing. Johnson and Ras HFF/Mids.

He was out of form, along with many others. Is slow, doesn't play multiple positions and isn't great by foot. JOM played better than him last week. Will be an interesting midfield mix this week.

Complete different positions but Johnson or Sturt could fill that role

Ive no problem witty Brodie being dropped. Watched him closely at marvel in week one and it wasn’t just the clearance work. His handball accuracy has dropped off a cliff this year and he’s constantly the weak link in the possession chain of handballs through the middle of the ground when we are running the footy. Absolute momentum killer.

I don’t know what’s gone wrong with him as his handballing was excellent last year.

The main problem with dropping Brodie today is that we will be incredibly small in the midfield. Jackson was training mainly as a ruck/forward during the preseason so he is being shoe horned into a ruckrover position.

Dropping Brodie will hopefully put a rocket under his ass to come back better. But signing him to a 3 year deal is probably dumb af unless it's a lower than expected contract.

I’m not sure what people expected for the forward line tbh.

If anything I think we’d need to make more changes to the midfield to make changes to the forward line.

We’ve talked about Frederick on the wing for a few years despite his improvement last year as a forward. If Henry and Hughes are our wingers then perhaps we have no other choice. NOD can’t cover both sides. There’s a spot for say Sturt.

I was happy we drafted Emmett at the time tbh. He’s had a sh**e pre season but last year he was tearing up the SANFL. Good size, decent mark and reasonably good when the ball hits the ground too. Won’t be in contention until he’s 100% but he can play imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back