Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs West Coast Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really that insane to me. He’s our main clearance extractor and most of our problems stem from the fact we can’t win a clearance and get the ball quickly into our forward line.

18th in clearances. Drop our second best clearance player.

I mean there's sending a message and then there's cutting off your nose etc etc.

I mean there's sending a message and then there's cutting off your nose etc etc.
He’s dropped off in his main discipline and it’s hurting the team. He doesn’t provide us with anything else other than clearances and he can only play 60% game time. I’ve got nothing against him at all but he’s out of form and right now he’s the logical omission to allow some speed into the midfield.

He’s been very poor the opening 2 weeks.
We are talking about an inside mid here not a back pocket. One of the most important positions on the field, crucial to how the entire team performs. There has got to be some selection accountability if he’s not delivering 2 weeks in a row.

He’s been very poor the opening 2 weeks.
We are talking about an inside mid here not a back pocket. One of the most important positions on the field, crucial to how the entire team performs. There has got to be some selection accountability if he’s not delivering 2 weeks in a row.
He's only attended 44% of centre bounces whereas Serong and Brayshaw have attended 80% and O'Meara 60%.

Despite this he is our equal leader for centre clearances - and second for central clearances.

He did get murdered on transition against Collingwood last year and a touch last week.

If we are expecting our clearance to improve with him out of the team I think that's fanciful - defensive run on the other hand - absolutely.

Do people still think our problem is in the midfield?

My Gods.
Can't believe there are those that think it isn't. Can't get clearances especially in the middle puts the pressure on the defense. Poor delivery to the forwards. Sure forwards need lift but the number of times they are open the mids can't even hit the target

There’s a fairly large difference between lumping all of the responsibility onto the midfield and rebutting a claim that Brodie was a scapegoat. Is anyone actually claiming that the forwards have done their job?
Mate, Brodie is No2 at the club for clearances and No2 for tackles. He also has a DE of 81% He's been working his **** off both ways and using it bloody well.

To put that into perspective (current ave):

Takles - Clearances - DE%
Brodie 5.5 - 5.0 - 81.1%
Kelly 1.5 - 4.5 - 70.4%
Cerra 2.0 - 3.0 - 75.7%

It's mind-boggling.

Mate, Brodie is No2 at the club for clearances and No2 for tackles. He also has a DE of 81% He's been working his **** off both ways and using it bloody well.

To put that into perspective (current ave):

Takles - Clearances - DE%
Brodie 5.5 - 5.0 - 81.1%
Kelly 1.5 - 4.5 - 70.4%
Cerra 2.0 - 3.0 - 75.7%

It's mind-boggling.

Using two very below average mids this season as a comparison is mind blowing.

Brodie and who else are below average

Using Brodie and comparing him to Kelly and Cerra was strange. Like he is going better than them so we are fine.

Kelly has been rubbish and Cerra is playing poorly.

If the idea is to say keep him, he is good. Then we should compare him to in form mids who play the same position. Cerra, I would argue doesn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Using Brodie and comparing him to Kelly and Cerra was strange. Like he is going better than them so we are fine.

If the idea is to say keep him, he is good. Then we should compare him to in form mids who play the same position. Cerra, I would argue doesn't.

Yeah fair enough. I see your point. He should be compared to in and under mids. He's a distributor. I'd compare him to Tom Mitchell for Hawks/Collingwood

I'd say he isn't as good but his best is close. He just needs to find form again but so does the entire team.

Kelly the perfect 10 last week...rubbish.

1680419236042.png

I watched him in the first round, and he was rubbish. So over two games very average. Now over three still very average. He has been far from a success since being at WCE.

And Cerra... please.
Let it go. This was a discussion for before the game re changes for R3

p.s. we won. Enjoy yourself.

midfield first, because we’re giving up so much territory.
After watching the game live yesterday the midfield is a worry
Could not have got better silver service from Darcy
Brodie needs to come back in

After watching the game live yesterday the midfield is a worry
Could not have got better silver service from Darcy
Brodie needs to come back in
Longmuir noted that the midfield got dominance in terms of Darcy winning the taps for all of three games so far this year; he said that he felt that what was needed was more footspeed and that teams were setting up knowing they would lose the taps against us but look to shark them as a primary position. It is unsurprising that Aish and Switkowski have spent more time there in and I expect that the evolution may look like putting even more time into Switkowski being in there. Matt Johnson also on paper is fast (although I still think he looks slow in game) and may also spend more time there as well I suspect.

Who is to blame for that? Puzzlingly we got Bennell, McCarthy and Hogan while Lyon was coach and they all failed.

Maybe because the coach picks the team not the list...

He's been gone for over 3 years you can't keep blaming him. The only thing Ross could be criticized for is giving us draft picks at the end of each round in his first 4 years. Because guess what? The coach coaches the players he has in front of him, same as it's not Jlos fault the list is in the shape it's in. It's not rocket science.

Maybe because the coach picks the team not the list...

He's been gone for over 3 years you can't keep blaming him. The only thing Ross could be criticized for is giving us draft picks at the end of each round in his first 4 years. Because guess what? The coach coaches the players he has in front of him, same as it's not Jlos fault the list is in the shape it's in. It's not rocket science.
I don't blame him, but the coach is involved in directing list managers on what he needs, and it is clear talent became a desert under his tutelage. Very little between Neale and Brayshaw, a six year stretch that dwarfs the worst of the 90s.

Our last quality forward was recruited by Phil Smart while Harvey was coach: Walters.

The 2013 GF team had 9 players in it recruited in the three year stretch between 07-09: Mayne, Hill, Ballas, Suban, Clarke, Walters, De Boer, Fyfe, Barlow - also missing those who may have been worthy contributors had they not got injured like Palmer and Morabito, and Ibbotson who would have played had he not been injured late in 2013. Even someone like Kepler Bradley, who was drafted in 2007, may have played the GF had he not done his knee.

The question I have never seen answered is why a three year stretch under a coach widely seen as a joke was the most productive in Freo's history in terms of recruitment? Why was it not done before, and why hasn't it been replicated since?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back