Preview Changes v Carlton [Good Friday Superclash]

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Sissy Rose (my Little dachsador girl)
resized_20210507_204521-jpeg.1361219

barks the following...

NORTH MELBOURNE v CARLTON

Friday March 29, 4:20pm at Marvel Stadium

How to watch on Fox Footy: From 3:30pm on Channel 504 with host Garry Lyon plus Jonathan Brown, Nathan Buckley, Jordan Lewis and Brad Johnson, with Jon Ralph in the newsroom

Kangaroos’ burning question: Do the Kangaroos beat the Blues if they put in a four-quarter effort?

In a first half last weekend that filled the Kangaroos with plenty of hope, Alistair Clarkson’s ‘Northball’ style seemingly has the potential to break teams wide open at the flick of a switch. While we know their flair didn’t stay for the full match, the likes of Colby McKercher, Harry Sheezel, Tom Powell, Bailey Scott and Luke Davies-Uniacke were firing on all cylinders to a point where Fremantle looked in disarray. Fox Footy’s own Garry Lyon spoke highly of the style of football Clarkson has implemented on the young group.

“From the game styles on the weekend, North were playing the modern sort of footy that stacks up,” Lyon said on On the Couch.

“We saw a Clarkson team come out and play a (stack) of this young talent, play the exciting modern-day brand.”

Their Good Friday matchup against the Blues last year showed promise also, with inaccurate goalkicking (11.18) in a 23-point loss costing them a shot at an upset after leading at half time. While it remains to be seen who the Kangaroos will beat when they play a full four quarters of their best football, the men from Arden St will be optimistic that they can catch out a solid Carlton outfit fresh off their bye.

Blues’ burning question: Can the Blues keep the young Kangaroos at bay in the first half?

After a sluggish start to both their Opening Round and Round 1 win over Brisbane and Richmond respectively, the Blues now face the challenge of holding off an energetic, young Kangaroos list from the first bounce on Friday. Having conceded an average of six goals in their opening quarters this season, it is essential the Blues nullify ‘Northball’ in a way they haven’t yet been able to do yet early in games.

It’s especially important when you consider last year’s Good Friday game, where the then-unbeaten Blues actually trailed at halftime, before surging in the third term on route to a closer-than-expected win.

Matchups on young guns Harry Sheezel and Colby McKercher will be sure to draw attention, with the option of deploying a defensive forward on the distributors across half-back not out of the question for Michael Voss. With Carlton’s last six wins all being by six points or less, the Good Friday clash is shaping up as a positive opportunity to break that streak – only if they can keep the Kangas at bay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yuck.

Again, a cross for Clarko at this point, he's giving journeyman and spuds way too much rope.

CCJ has had ample opportunity to "consildate" his spot.

He's had multiple 3-4 game blocks over the last 2 seasons.

Sellers wouldn't really be a CCJ replacement though. Sellers would be coming in for a Zurhaar or Duursma or Stephenson, probably.

I still want to believe there's a chance we see a Greenwood come in for CCJ this week, perhaps.

Sellers wouldn't really be a CCJ replacement though. Sellers would be coming in for a Zurhaar or Duursma or Stephenson, probably.

I still want to believe there's a chance we see a Greenwood come in for CCJ this week, perhaps.

There's that bloke called Charlie Comben.

There's no written rule that says you can't move a player from forward to back again.

He's not going to self combust.

It’s almost as good as we can field, but I’d make the following changes:

B: McDonald Corr Dawson
HB: Fisher Pink Sheezel
C: McKercher LDU Scott
HF: Simpkin Sellers Duursma
F: Ford Larkey Zurhaar

R:Xerri Powell Wardlaw

I:Shiels Lazzaro Curtis Greenwood

S:Stephenson

Philips in for Lazzaro for me and Stephenson stays, with Greenwood as sub. Otherwise I like it, including Shiels. That centreline is as good as we have fielded in years.

Yuck.

Again, a cross for Clarko at this point, he's giving journeyman and spuds way too much rope.

CCJ has had ample opportunity to "consildate" his spot.

He's had multiple 3-4 game blocks over the last 2 seasons.

And he'll spud it up again. McGovern, Weitering, some other no-name Kerridge worthy dude running off him ........confident h'ell get nowhere near it.

There's that bloke called Charlie Comben.

There's no written rule that says you can't move a player from forward to back again.

He's not going to self combust.

It would be detrimental to Comben's development.

The decision has been made to develop him into a defender, and he'll need to stay there. He hasn't been training with the forwards this year/preseason, doesn't have familiarity with the rotations and game plan.

Not surprised that Sellers won't be in just quite yet. If he kicks another bag this weekend you'd have to imagine that the door will be off the hinges though.

Greenwood for CCJ? Stephenson sub?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back