Preview Changes v Geelong round 17

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the best Geelong side since 2011 I reckon. Maybe their 2016 side was better, but something has changed. Huge litmus test for both teams tomorrow
Stewart and Parfitt are really important in our best side; they missed last year as well. We saw how that went...but seriously, agree with you, we are better, and your team is the best, so with a bit of HGA, I hope it's a really competitive game. Our worry is your incredibly deep midfield( Gawn included)

Stewart and Parfitt are really important in our best side; they missed last year as well. We saw how that went...but seriously, agree with you, we are better, and your team is the best, so with a bit of HGA, I hope it's a really competitive game. Our worry is your incredibly deep midfield( Gawn included)
Our midfield isn't deep, it's very top heavy with alot of role players.

Our midfield isn't deep, it's very top heavy with alot of role players.
I reckon there’s a decent AFL level of depth there, but not The Western or Carlton style quality of depth.

Oliver and Trac, who attend over 80% of the centre bounces, are so good the gap to the next guys is massive. I think it’s the biggest quality drop off from best two to the next group in the AFL.

Gold Coast are the only other club that have two non-ruck midfielders at 80% of centre bounce attendances (Rowell and Miller) with Anderson and Viney’s attendance percentages also similar in the 60s. Every other team shares the attendances far more.

Viney is only AFL stock standard quality but has that standout extreme hardness.

Harmes and Sparrow wouldn’t get a look in at a The Western or a Carlton’s midfield rotation, but I think they’d be comparable to the fourth and fifth best mids at most clubs.

I'm okay with Bedford getting another chance, he's had one good game and one bad game, give him a chance to redeem himself.

Im not saying he should be dropped, what im saying is Chandler hasn't been afforded the same chances.

I reckon there’s a decent AFL level of depth there, but not The Western or Carlton style quality of depth.

Oliver and Trac, who attend over 80% of the centre bounces, are so good the gap to the next guys is massive. I think it’s the biggest quality drop off from best two to the next group in the AFL.

Gold Coast are the only other club that have two non-ruck midfielders at 80% of centre bounce attendances (Rowell and Miller) with Anderson and Viney’s attendance percentages also similar in the 60s. Every other team shares the attendances far more.

Viney is only AFL stock standard quality but has that standout extreme hardness.

Harmes and Sparrow wouldn’t get a look in at a The Western or a Carlton’s midfield rotation, but I think they’d be comparable to the fourth and fifth best mids at most clubs.
Brayshaw, Langdon?

Brayshaw, Langdon?
Brayshaw is half back, Langdon is wing.

I guess it depends what you count as midfield.

Without having studied every AFL team, I'd suggest Melbourne is the team that adheres most strictly to roles and therefore I don't really think of a wing or a half back as being part of the midfield.

Like Langdon and now Jordon (was Brayshaw last year) don't lose their width on the wing and get sucked into the play if it's in the middle.

Brayshaw doesn't creep up and start to be in the thick of it at stoppages, he stays behind the ball.

I mostly agree with you, but I'd (without looking at the stats) imagine most clubs have 2 players who attend "most" centre bounces.

Adelaide- keays and laird
Brisbane- neale and Lyons
Carlton- cripps and Hewett
Collingwood- Adams and crisp
Essendon- parish and Merritt
Freo- brayshaw and brodie
Geelong- Guthrie and selwood
Gws- Green and Kelly
Hawthorn- newcombe and omeara (but share it more)
North- LDU and simpkin
Port- wines and boak (but probably changed to Rozee in past couple months)
Richmond- I'm gonna say prestia and Martin would be, but for injury probably cotchin and Bolton there out of necessity)
Saint- crouch and Steele
Sydney- Parker, and shared
West Coast- Kelly and redden
Dogs- libba and macrae

If that's around 80% I wouldn't know, you might have looked at that more than me. But the quality of our 2 blokes is so good, we've probably become reliant on it to an extent. That said, we've successfully moved brayshaw out of that rotation in recent years, and found another position for him that he's playing exceptionally. The way viney is playing this year, we are nearly better off playing him at centre bounces and leaving petracca more around that half forward floating role.

Very interesting predicament to be in. Our one wood is such a strength of ours, but are we so reliant on it that it can let us down (see petracca in that freo game as an example).

With Gawn back, I wonder if they will revert to the bad habit of bombing long into the F50 where BBB and Gawn will spoil each other for the mark again.
In this scenario the oppo fullback isn't marking it so I'll take it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Gawn back, I wonder if they will revert to the bad habit of bombing long into the F50 where BBB and Gawn will spoil each other for the mark again.
Worked well enough in the prelim. The issue isn’t with bombing the ball in, the issue is being able to force a turnover when the forwards spoil each other and the ball comes to ground (or to force turnovers around half forward and THEN kick to the forwards who should have more time and space). Looks like that part of our game is coming back, so should be a bit more productive going forward tonight. We’ll see.

I mostly agree with you, but I'd (without looking at the stats) imagine most clubs have 2 players who attend "most" centre bounces.
I was surprised at the amount of variation at clubs for CBA. Melbourne and Gold Coast are the only two so high (although some others may be lower for their top two due to injury rather than tactics).

Only seven players in the entire league above 80%, and four are at Melbourne and Gold Coast. Cripps would be there too if he wasn’t injured for a couple of games.

Incidentally Pettacca’s drop in CBA recently has been taken up by Harmes.

I was surprised at the amount of variation at clubs for CBA. Melbourne and Gold Coast are the only two so high (although some others may be lower for their top two due to injury rather than tactics).

Only seven players in the entire league above 80%, and four are at Melbourne and Gold Coast. Cripps would be there too if he wasn’t injured for a couple of games.

Incidentally Pettacca’s drop in CBA recently has been taken up by Harmes.
Well that is very interesting indeed.

There are numerous players around 60-70% that I'd have assumed saw more CBA time too.

Wonder if it's a deliberate ploy to help our scoring, using trac there more. Or if it comes down to viney being fitter and playing so well in recent weeks.

Will be interesting to watch tonight and see if that trend continues.

Just on gold coast, I haven't watched a hell of a lot, maybe only 4 of their games out of past 7 or 8 weeks. But they do seem to play a style very similar to ours. Seems they're getting a bit of stability and injury list being a bit kinder to them. If Ben King can come back next year and not take too long to readjust, I could see them possibly having a freo type rise up the ladder.

I think that if Brayshaw, Harmes and Sparrow had more CBAs our midfield performance wouldn’t drop off too much, provided we hold up in other parts of the ground. If May and Hibberd had been fit for that Fremantle game I expect Gus might have been thrown on ball with Trac struggling (and Viney to an extent). The other issue was that Trac was useless forward that day too.

this is my fear, bombs away again tonight, Goody wanting a replica of the prelim with Gawn resting forward often and kicking 5. (I cant see lightning striking twice)

Feels like something the Cats will have game planned for and we will predictably do it.

I don’t think it’s really changed the last two weeks tbh

Strange post by SH, might need to give himself a good talking to to get himself back on track.
Chandler has been among the bests plenty of times this year and put up good numbers. Think he's pretty stiff here to not even be an emergency
He's played well consistently, but he has to smash the door down, to displace Spargo and or Pickett.

Bedford has moved ahead of him, and only him really making a habit of deemolishing oppositions, will be good enough for him to be promoted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back