Fixture Changes V Port Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I just want McLean to get his 100th this year. Currently on 98.

Just noticed our fixture. 3 of the next 4 interstate. 4 of the next 7.
And 5 of the next 7 games are in outdoor stadiums.

Im sure you know where our strengths and faults lie, so in a way this is a weird thing to be arguing about. High numbers of inside 50s for a poor return is a serious ongoing concern for us - yes or no? Our midfield dominance should result in higher scores than we actually achieve. if you say no, then I can only shrug and wander away. Regardless, it seems the coach is finally attempting to play a faster more direct style of football this season, with stuttering mixed results so far.
I'm only presenting what's actually happened on the field, not making up strengths and faults out of thin air.

Define poor? We're consistently in the top 5-7 teams in the league for forward efficiency so I don't think that's remotely a true statement. As has been repeatedly shown with the actual data we do not have high numbers of inside 50s for poor returns. We have above average returns for our i50s. If you think being ranked in the top 5-7 consistently for forward efficiency is poor then... I guess it should be a concern. It's not poor though lol. Sorry but you're continually believing the made up narrative you want to believe, despite multiple metrics based on what's actually happened on the field showing otherwise.

To say we should score more than we actually achieve is a completely different argument to saying we're poor at scoring or lack forward efficiency. That wasn't how the discussion started though. It started by saying we find it "impossible to score" or something along those lines, which is demonstrably false. If you want to continue to believe otherwise, up to you, but it has no basis in reality.

If we're now saying that you believe we should score more than we do, I've already acknowledged in this discussion that our conversion rate is likely below league average (possibly well below) which could contribute to lower scores than otherwise. There could be other factors as well, not something I've looked into.

I think Caleb probably picks up the extra mid rotations although he didn't look great in there against the Saints (not many did) and it worries me with Port's massive midfield as his size does show a bit more in those centre bounces and banging against the big bodies. I like him in the sweeper role as he is clean below his knees and reads the ball well, but yeah I would prefer Toby be in getting those inside mid looks.

Maybe Bailey Williams or Anthony Scott is a bit more involved as an inside mid this week? A bit thin in the middle this week, but the 4 we have are absolute studs so not too worried either.

I'm only presenting what's actually happened on the field, not making up strengths and faults out of thin air.

Define poor? We're consistently in the top 5-7 teams in the league for forward efficiency so I don't think that's remotely a true statement. As has been repeatedly shown with the actual data we do not have high numbers of inside 50s for poor returns. We have above average returns for our i50s. If you think being ranked in the top 5-7 consistently for forward efficiency is poor then... I guess it should be a concern. It's not poor though lol. Sorry but you're continually believing the made up narrative you want to believe, despite multiple metrics based on what's actually happened on the field showing otherwise.

To say we should score more than we actually achieve is a completely different argument to saying we're poor at scoring or lack forward efficiency. That wasn't how the discussion started though. It started by saying we find it "impossible to score" or something along those lines, which is demonstrably false. If you want to continue to believe otherwise, up to you, but it has no basis in reality.

If we're now saying that you believe we should score more than we do, I've already acknowledged in this discussion that our conversion rate is likely below league average (possibly well below) which could contribute to lower scores than otherwise. There could be other factors as well, not something I've looked into.
Well we’re currently 2nd last in the comp for scores from inside 50, 3rd last for marks inside 50 per inside 50 so whatever we’re doing it isn’t working right now

Come on .. this crap of "X player wasn't picked, will probably leave at the end of the year" each week on this board is a bit over the top.
Dunno about others but when I say it, it's usually taking the piss.

That said, there's a germ of truth in it. Typically one or two players will leave each club every year, simply because they see more opportunity elsewhere. It's the way the system works, especially with free agency. So one or two of these predictions (serious or not) will probably eventuate come October.

No idea who it'll be this year ... but Bevo's pretty good at flushing them out.

Only change I disagree with is Cleary not getting a look in.

TOB has looked good this past fortnight in the VFL. Keen to see what he can do with some support back there
TOB has been poor for us but to be fair he’s a third tall at best and we’ve tried him as a true key defender most of the time.

Come on .. this crap of "X player wasn't picked, will probably leave at the end of the year" each week on this board is a bit over the top.
Not really, he’s the exact type of player opposition clubs target given his upside and the low cost. Much rather get games into him than a 29 year old O’Brien who has very little upside.

Any danger of playing Buku in his natural position as an intercepting defender, rather than picking TOB?

Won’t be at all surprised if Buku gets picked up elsewhere in the off season.
Tbh he’s playing his best ever footy forward and looks a natural there, but I agree considering the list it makes more sense to develop him back where there’s plenty of openings. Considering Darcy is now a forward too I think we should make the move back at VFL level this week get a couple of games into him and bring him straight in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Caleb probably picks up the extra mid rotations although he didn't look great in there against the Saints (not many did) and it worries me with Port's massive midfield as his size does show a bit more in those centre bounces and banging against the big bodies. I like him in the sweeper role as he is clean below his knees and reads the ball well, but yeah I would prefer Toby be in getting those inside mid looks.

Maybe Bailey Williams or Anthony Scott is a bit more involved as an inside mid this week? A bit thin in the middle this week, but the 4 we have are absolute studs so not too worried either.

Ports massive midfield?

Butters and Rozee are good, but they aren’t huge.

Tbh he’s playing his best ever footy forward and looks a natural there, but I agree considering the list it makes more sense to develop him back where there’s plenty of openings. Considering Darcy is now a forward too I think we should make the move back at VFL level this week get a couple of games into him and bring him straight in
Agree he’s looked good forward, just not sure how he’ll get a look in. I’m a big fan of his so would really like to find a spot for him and think the backline is his main hope.

Yes.. but he has to earn it.. TOB has been one of the better defenders in the VFL
Hearing you, im more saying I’d rather play Buku down back in the VFL so he has a chance to earn it too. Just don’t see how he makes it as a forward when he’s 5th in line.

Anyway will be interested to see how TOB goes as a third defender/interceptor where he is more suited.

Agree he’s looked good forward, just not sure how he’ll get a look in. I’m a big fan of his so would really like to find a spot for him and think the backline is his main hope.
Yeah I really don’t understand it to be honest - maybe two years ago but doesn’t make any sense currently. He literally won’t get a look in forward until at least Lobb finishes up and even then unlikely behind Marra, Darcy and Naughty for the next 10 years.

So what’s the actual plan here? Back up? I really really hope we’re just giving him a taste up forward to further develop his skills and move him back very soon, otherwise yeah other teams will come knocking at some stage.

Fair enough. I didn't bother looking at this year due to small sample size but that's not a great start.
It’s also just a concerning trajectory too from front of the pack > mid table > back of the pack from 21>23. As you said it’s a small sample size this year but we need to turn it around in a big way considering we’ve also gone backwards massively in defending the ground

Not a great looking chart

Yeah forgot about CD - I’m guessing that’s the plan and he’s the extra rotation.

Don’t really like that at all, he’s been playing some of the best footy in quite a while behind the ball and forward of the ball in the last couple of weeks. We seem so stale and reluctant to change things like throwing an Ed/Williams in the middle etc

Just continuously running back to the same old well we’ve milked dry

Currently forecast 90% change of rain on Saturday and we’re the second game on the Adelaide Oval. Don’t like the sound of that. Hopefully the weather takes a turn.

Currently forecast 90% change of rain on Saturday and we’re the second game on the Adelaide Oval. Don’t like the sound of that. Hopefully the weather takes a turn.

Adelaide area​

Cloudy. Very high chance of rain early in the morning with the chance of a thunderstorm. A shower to two during the day, increasing in the evening with the chance of a thunderstorm. Winds northerly 25 to 35 km/h turning westerly 20 to 30 km/h early in the morning.

Could be very windy as well, unless it dies down after the morning. Will be an ugly game skills wise. Storms scheduled to return during our time slot.

It’s also just a concerning trajectory too from front of the pack > mid table > back of the pack from 21>23. As you said it’s a small sample size this year but we need to turn it around in a big way considering we’ve also gone backwards massively in defending the ground

Not a great looking chart
Defending the ground has been a bit better the last few weeks. The numbers were mostly from the first 2 weeks

Defending the ground has been a bit better the last few weeks. The numbers were mostly from the first 2 weeks
Mm maybe slightly, Richmond still cut us up a number of times from half back and would have been a lot worse if not for some timely rain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back