Preview Changes Vs Golden Toast

Remove this Banner Ad

A few ideas:

1. If Naughton isn't going to offer an aerial contest and strong defensive pressure (his two strongest attributes) he should be dragged from full forward and play CHB where he needs to be accountable. He and Jones with Buku as the third are strong pillars. Red, Coff, JJ and Bramble the smalls.

2. Move Dale to a wing. Had a pretty s**t game but at least tries to run and create overlap and bite off tougher kicks.

3. Lobb out, bring Darcy in. Darcy and Jamarra the two main tall targets with a smaller forward line around them. Weightman can play his natural game as a third aerial threat anyway. We're not doing s**t this year and that's our future so give them time to gel.

4. Sanders to stay in the side (same as above, just get games into him, he'll be better for the run) Harmes out and Macrae in as the fifth mid rotation. With Naughton playing back, rotate bont more into the forward line to cause trouble. Treloar also on notice and needs to lay 10 tackles next game to stay in.

5. VDM out for Clarke and maybe Bedendo to play that higher wing role with Williams and Dale.

FB: Khamis Jones Coffield
HB Richards Naughton JJ
C: Williams Treloar Dale
HF: West Jamarra Daniel
FF: Clarke Darcy Weightman
R: English Bont Libba

I/C: Macrae, Sanders, Bedendo, Bramble

I don't care what score we kick I just want an elite pressure rating and to keep the suns to under 60 points.
As I remember it when Jones and O'Brien went down during that game against North last year Naughton went to CHB and looked all at sea which was strange when we think back to his early years. Maybe it was an inability to re-adjust in game.

Also the games against Giants at Mars and Suns in Darwin they were the perfect scenarios to send him back and we still didn't. That failure to act possibly cost us both games. Lobb was the preferred option to go back in Ballarat 🤣🤣

I think he might have a little too much say.

Honestly starting to believe that if we are asking if Lobb should be replaced by Darcy, then we are asking the wrong question>
The question we should be asking is should Darcy come in for Tim Insipid, sorry, English.
And yeah i get Darcy might not be physically ready.

Honestly starting to believe that if we are asking if Lobb should be replaced by Darcy, then we are asking the wrong question>
The question we should be asking is should Darcy come in for Tim Insipid, sorry, English.
And yeah i get Darcy might not be physically ready.
Darcy is obviously still developing physically, but he’s already more competitive in the ruck than English and Lobb.

He doesn’t need to be ready to work over a Witts, Gawn, etc. just needs to be better than Lobb (and he is).

Macca must play in Ballarat, 29 and 36 in the two games there last year. He loves to play there.

Darcy is obviously still developing physically, but he’s already more competitive in the ruck than English and Lobb.
Surely other than wishful thinking, we cannot accept this as a truism?

Darcy is 20 years old, has played 7 AFL games and over the last 4-5 years of his life has actually played very few complete footy games in totality across all levels of football (probably fewer than 50) due to various injuries.

It's ridiculous to suggest that - the mental application of competitiveness or physicality included (even if I concede that he will have that more than English and Lobb, which I don't necessarily) - that the overall net result of him in the ruck over the course of an entire game is that he's "more competitive".

English did not have a good game at all, but he still provided some value by linking up with 23 disposals, 400 metres gained including 10 contested possessions. I doubt Darcy would get 10 possessions all game if he played first ruck, let alone contested.

Where has this groupthink on this board that a guy who is 1 game removed from an entirely deserved All-Australian season is somehow not AFL standard, while still playing an AFL standard (by virtue of being good enough to find the ball 23 times) game? It's bizarre to me. Dozens of posters are suggesting it.

Why have our coaching group determined this guys a tall. He’s literally like 189cm, playing him on Brown was a ******* joke

Not necessarily directed at you, but I'm seeing a bit of this in different threads...

Brown kicked 2 goals. One was from a TERRIBLE umpiring decision in the goal square (that definitely wasn't Baku's fault), the other was from an awful turnover at half back where Khamis was left 1 on 2 and was never a chance when the ball sat up and he had to change direction.

Got outmarked deep in the pocket late due to height (Brown missed).
Combined with an awful late kick out when the game was well and truly already over (ie. he was trying to force something he wouldn't normally), and it adds up to ssome very odd reasoning, imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely other than wishful thinking, we cannot accept this as a truism?

Darcy is 20 years old, has played 7 AFL games and over the last 4-5 years of his life has actually played very few complete footy games in totality across all levels of football (probably fewer than 50) due to various injuries.

It's ridiculous to suggest that - the mental application of competitiveness or physicality included (even if I concede that he will have that more than English and Lobb, which I don't necessarily) - that the overall net result of him in the ruck over the course of an entire game is that he's "more competitive".

English did not have a good game at all, but he still provided some value by linking up with 23 disposals, 400 metres gained including 10 contested possessions. I doubt Darcy would get 10 possessions all game if he played first ruck, let alone contested.

Where has this groupthink on this board that a guy who is 1 game removed from an entirely deserved All-Australian season is somehow not AFL standard, while still playing an AFL standard (by virtue of being good enough to find the ball 23 times) game? It's bizarre to me. Dozens of posters are suggesting it.
I think it's coming from the basis that after waiting years for Tim to grow into an actual competitive Ruckman, he is still just a tall midfielder. Fans are getting frustrated with him.

Not necessarily directed at you, but I'm seeing a bit of this in different threads...

Brown kicked 2 goals. One was from a TERRIBLE umpiring decision in the goal square (that definitely wasn't Baku's fault), the other was from an awful turnover at half back where Khamis was left 1 on 2 and was never a chance when the ball sat up and he had to change direction.

Got outmarked deep in the pocket late due to height (Brown missed).
Combined with an awful late kick out when the game was well and truly already over (ie. he was trying to force something he wouldn't normally), and it adds up to ssome very odd reasoning, imo.
I left early in the last but I thought Brown was pretty effective throughout the game and tbh, I don’t think Buku did a bad job but it was a terrible match up for us. Brown was never really beaten. If Bukus in the side it’s clear as day he needs to be there for his intercepting and chopping out the other defenders aerially. He couldn’t do that at all because of his matchup, the flow on effects were Coffield also with a tougher match up and less ground ball for our smalls to work with.

We had an opportunity to go in with a strength aerially freeing up a couple of Red, Coffield Buku to intercept first, instead we were beaten soundly in the air by a team who just doesn’t do that to anyone because once again we thought we were too smart

It wasn’t the difference there was plenty more problems on display but I’m pretty sick of being behind the 8 ball from Thursday night

After a day to calm down, here are the changes I’d make:

In: Darcy, Clarke, Scott, Macrae

Out: Lobb, McNeil, Vandameer, Harmes

I want to back in both Buku and Coffield. One has been messed around position wise for years, and the other played his first game in over 900 days. Let them gel. Yes, we could bring in Keath, but he is as slow as slow can be and isn’t our future.

While Lobb kicked a goal, he had minimal impact on the game and got absolutely pantsed by Gawn. Bring in Darcy and give him a run of 5 games to build.

Macrae straight in the middle to help us with contested ball and clearances. Desperately needed.

Two of Clarke/Scott/AJ, whoever. Give me smalls who apply relentless pressure. Vandameer and McNeil can ply their trade for Port Melbourne for all I care (Assuming they would want them).

Daniel to play a whole game too.

Club should fight it at the tribunal nothing in it from the footage i have seen

It was soft, but it was there. May grabbing his face afterwards seals a suspension.

After this and the Melksham incident, you can just tell that May could be respected as a teammate, but is not respected as a person at Melbourne. Harmes seems to be well liked there, but May dumped him in a tackle and tried giving it to him. Not typically what you get being a premiership hero with no nastiness in leaving.

Some decisions are easy (or should be)

- Daniel for VDM (and promise to never play funny buggers again. Daniel got top 10 AFL points in a quarter not even close)

- Macrae for Harmes (will be for suspension but in no planet is Harmes better than Macrae)

- McNeil had a shocker but he did have some genuinely good games in pre-season. On big stage and again fumbled and panicked. I expect he will get another go but would pick Garcia - just harder at it. Or Scott - a solid player who knows how to impact game and can play more positions (perfect Sub). Or Bedendo or Mother Teresa.

- Keath for Coffield - will need to play on Casboult. Great match up for Keath. I think Khamis played as well but may be better to play on Lucosious but 50/50.

Would love to see Bedendo get a run. Williams was average but not the worst and Gags was pretty good but may also be considered. I think Bedendo he should have a few more games showing consistency before he comes in. A threat outside 50 would be great - Melb had record level marks around the ground.

Of course moving Naughty onto the ball (or high HFF link Hird before he started sticking needles into everyone) could have also helped and put pressure on Oliver and Petracca- rather than plonking him deep - especially when we already had Lobb and/or Marra back there and not needed.

Also get that he needs to be properly managed but can barely wait until Darcy is ready - Lobb just misses so many marks that hopefully Darcy sticks and his competitiveness would be infectious. When Max went forward he just made sure he marked it - I see that in Darcy. I don’t see that with Lobb.

It was soft, but it was there. May grabbing his face afterwards seals a suspension.

After this and the Melksham incident, you can just tell that May could be respected as a teammate, but is not respected as a person at Melbourne. Harmes seems to be well liked there, but May dumped him in a tackle and tried giving it to him. Not typically what you get being a premiership hero with no nastiness in leaving.
Was kind of surprised when May Dumped Harmes in a tackle then given it to him.

I think Bedendo could play high half forward as a genuine link which we’re still lacking. He’s quick as * too, just drill into him before the game his number 1 KPI is defensive pressure if he does that the other results will come later and he’ll hold a spot.

I don’t think he makes us too tall when he’s one of the quickest on the list and great at ground level

I think Bedendo could play high half forward as a genuine link which we’re still lacking. He’s quick as * too, just drill into him before the game his number 1 KPI is defensive pressure if he does that the other results will come later and he’ll hold a spot.

I don’t think he makes us too tall when he’s one of the quickest on the list and great at ground level

If you are prepared to play the VDM and McNeil types play Bedendo for crying out loud

Do exactly what you said tell him he continues to play provided he brings defensive pressure and plays his role of been a link player

Problem is the coaching staff wouldn’t know what a role is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back