Prediction Changes vs Hawksthorne

Remove this Banner Ad

Players in the side today that didn't require a 1st or 2nd round pick to bring to the club.

Pick 38: Broadbent
Pick 51: Farrell
Pick 52: Byrne-Jones
Pick 56: Howard
Pick 60: Garner
Pick 68: Amon
Pick 71: Westhoff
Pick 84: Frampton
Rookie Pick 29: S.Gray
Rookie Pick 42: Lienert
Rookie Pick 45: Houston
Free Agent: Lycett, Rockliff, Motlop

If Robbie Gray, Ladhams and Jonas comes in then we are adding a Pick 55, Rookie Pick 9 and Rookie Pick 16.

As much as I think he's been s**t so far, if Lycett went out I'd be pretty happy to have Marshall as an in.

Ryder can ruck the whole game - we have Dougs and Frampton to pinch hit for quick bursts, tandem Frampton and Marshall up forward.

As much as I think he's been **** so far, if Lycett went out I'd be pretty happy to have Marshall as an in.

Ryder can ruck the whole game - we have Dougs and Frampton to pinch hit for quick bursts, tandem Frampton and Marshall up forward.

i like!! or ladhams!
Out
Broady Lycett Atley
In
Jonas, Robbie, Marshall

Lol every game ken says in the post match 'no injuries' we end up with injuries.

Seems that way, doesn't it.

I'm no fan of how open or not we are with injuries but on this point I don't think that's purposely misleading. Most times guys can't really tell the difference between being sore after a game and if something is a touch more serious. It's not until you have completely cooled down, had a sleep and then wake up thinking "ahhhh, this isn't good".

Lol every game ken says in the post match 'no injuries' we end up with injuries.
Last year: "Paddy Ryder is completely cooked, so he'll be ready to go this and every weekend"

Drop Motlop over Atley.
Not sure we'll drop Motlop. As much as the fans had him in their crosshairs all game, he wasn't that bad and had something like 7 score involvements, putting him in our top 4, in conditions that don't suit him.

But I would like to see Atley given another game, he started slowly but worked into it well.

Yep we occasionally have a shock win/loss but almost all our wins in the last few years have come against bottom 10 teams.

Our win/loss versus top 8 teams:
2019: 1-4 (91.0%) - one win against WCE who are struggling
2018: 3-6 (84.5%) - a good win against Syd, but just struggled over the line against Melb and Rich
2017: 2-7 (81.4%) - good wins against Syd and WCE
2016: 1-9 (71.9%) - an ok win against 8th placed North

Only one win against a top 4 side (Richmond, last year) in 4 years from 17 attempts (if you count the current ladder as set for this year for the purpose of this analysis). We've gone 18-1 against bottom 4 sides in that same time.
Yep, the concept that we pinch games against the top and lose to the bottom sides is wrong. In 2017 we absolutely went to town on the bottom sides, but even outside of that we've consistently shown we're good enough to beat most lower half teams, but we continue to fail against the top half.

If Lycett is out, I too think we're more likely to bring Marshall in than Ladhams. It'd mean Ryder to ruck, Billy to chop out. All probably depends on whether McEvoy plays.

It's hard not to notice that since we've had 2 rucks we've gone from years of being a mediocre team in the clearances, to being the league leader this year (even if we aren't getting the benefit we should be from it on the scoreboard)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did Marshall do in the 2s to demand a recall to the 1s?

People on here bitch and moan about players having gold passes yet want Todd to have one tattooed onto his ******* forehead!

I would prefer to have Cox come in to our forward line as the best performer in the 2s... Marshall in not a tall forward, he is a small forward who is tall!
I would argue that Cox has just as much presence in the air as Todd anyway AND he knows where the goals are!

What did Marshall do in the 2s to demand a recall to the 1s?

People on here bitch and moan about players having gold passes yet want Todd to have one tattooed onto his ******* forehead!

I would prefer to have Cox come in to our forward line as the best performer in the 2s... Marshall in not a tall forward, he is a small forward who is tall!
I would argue that Cox has just as much presence in the air as Todd anyway AND he knows where the goals are!

he again was playing in the 2s as almost the only tall forward.... play billy and frampton, 2 genuine tall forwards, together!
instead of being double and triple teamed, all of a sudden he will find more 1 on 1s and so will billy.
its not even so much about goals its about pressure he takes away from the other tall and visa versa.
sick of having on tall whos doubled by the oppositions 2 or 3 tall defenders because ryder, lycett or westhoff arent really forward threats.
marshall makes a tall accountable. frampton makes one accountable. and if they dont i rate their chances of clunking marks and kicking goals over all of the other 'make shift' tall forward options

Not sure we'll drop Motlop. As much as the fans had him in their crosshairs all game, he wasn't that bad and had something like 7 score involvements, putting him in our top 4, in conditions that don't suit him.

But I would like to see Atley given another game, he started slowly but worked into it well.

If Robbie Gray is coming in, I’m moving Sammy further away from goals. Farrell half forward, Robbie fwd pocket with a bit of midfield time. Motlop out of the names I mentioned deserves a game the least.

If Lycett is out, Ladhams is the obvious choice on structure and form. But I just can't see Ken bringing him in the week after Frampton. It's not his way. Marshall hasn't done anything to be recalled, so effectively I think we'll swap Robbie for Lycett and move Ryder into the ruck. That'll leave us short, but if Jonas comes in, there's always the chance to throw Howard forward. Funnily enough, Lycett going out coinciding with a possible Jonas return might allow us to see two marketing KPFs this week, which we otherwise probably won't see unless Frampton does enough to stay in when Dixon comes back.

A near full game in the ruck might do Ryder some good as well.

Watch us just play Ryder without a back up ruck and strain his Achilles in the first quarter.
And if Mcevoy is not in, instead of taking advantage of that weakness it gives Kern the all clear to pick AJ instead of another tall to exploit them.

Watch us just play Ryder without a back up ruck and strain his Achilles in the first quarter.

Yeah we can’t rely on Ryder to carry the ruck load. Ladhams obviously has 0 games to his name. So both these guys can help each other playing together.

Also Frampton would get to stay forward. Hoff could roam if Jonas comes in and Ken decides to throw Howard forward sparingly during the game too.

Hoffs shot for goal is a disgrace, most of us can agree on that. But around the ground I still think he can be involved in the play to get the ball inside 50, he can hopefully be a target on the defensive side of the wing when Lienert is bombing the ball out the backline, he can float back and plug a hole in defence as a spare man.

Ladhams has been in ripping form in the SANFL deserves a chance as much as Garner did. Think hawks only have Ceglar as McEvoy was injured over the weekend. Not sure about their stocks underneath; Pittonet/Roughead?

If Lycett doesn't come up, we're more likely to replace him with Jonas than debut Ladhams. I can't see Ladhams getting much game time unless Lycett is out for an extended period.

Yeah, agree.

Hinkley has never shown a penchant for playing two rucks until this year. In fact, in recent years he's shown a preparedness to play no ruckman at all if Ryder wasn't available. I think our two ruck setup at the moment is purely because we have two high quality rucks on our books. If Lycett or Ryder get injured, I doubt they get replaced like for like.

he again was playing in the 2s as almost the only tall forward.... play billy and frampton, 2 genuine tall forwards, together!
instead of being double and triple teamed, all of a sudden he will find more 1 on 1s and so will billy.
its not even so much about goals its about pressure he takes away from the other tall and visa versa.
sick of having on tall whos doubled by the oppositions 2 or 3 tall defenders because ryder, lycett or westhoff arent really forward threats.
marshall makes a tall accountable. frampton makes one accountable. and if they dont i rate their chances of clunking marks and kicking goals over all of the other 'make shift' tall forward options

Marshall is devoid of confidence at the moment and needs a spell. He can come back when his head is in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back