Chris Mainwaring Tributes Only

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair request,

Over all too soon, all to young. My sincerest condolences to his family

We will miss you Mainy!
You were true champion of our club and i'll never forget the image of you jumping from the bench when the siren went in 92.
What a champion.
Rest in Peace champ.
Condolences to the Mainwaring family on this very sad and shocking loss.

My first ever favourite player. Will be in the hearts of WCE supporters always. A sad day for the club, players & supporters.

My best wishes go out to his family and friends

Favorite memories of Chris Mainwaring the player.

I've posted this thread to give people a chance to pay tribute to Chris Mainwaring through their favorite memories of him as a footballer. There is a lttle bit in the main thread but generally it is that all-over-the-place that it's not funny.

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/ma.htm#Chris Mainwaring (East Fremantle & West Coast)
Originally from Geraldton Rovers, nineteen year old Chris Mainwaring made his WAFL debut with East Fremantle in 1985 and was an instant success, representing Western Australia and playing in a premiership team in his first season. An abundantly talented, free roaming wingman, he was a member of West Coast's inaugural VFL squad in 1987, and went on to become a key contributor to the side's success in the early 1990s. Mainwaring played 201 games for the Eagles from 1987 to 1999, kicking 84 goals. He was a member of premiership teams in 1992 and 1994, and an AFL All Australian in 1991 and 1996. Although he never won a club best and fairest award, he finished in the top three places on five occasions. Mainwaring resumed with East Fremantle in 1998 and played for two more seasons to take his final tally of WAFL games to 60.

My outstanding memory of Chris was after the 1991 Grand Final. The Eagles had been unstoppable all season and looked a certainty to claim the premiership. Even though we still had the nucleus of the great side that contested all those grand finals, the Eagles were something else. KPP we matched up as good if not better but their mids and flankers were incredably big, strong, skillful and fast. Blokes like Turley, Mainwaring, Worsfold etal would line up on premiership heroes like Pritchard, Anderson, etc. and made them look like boys.

So it was with great satisfaction for me that we were better on the day. I mean, how dare these young upstarts that I hardly knew of come over and spoil our party? I think there was genuine fear in every Victorians heart that we wouldn't be able to compete ever again with this club who were playing their first grannie after only five years.

Then at the end I saw something that really moved me. Mainwaring had been a Hawks supporter as a kid and idolised Dipper. I can't recall whether they played on each other that day but I do remember Mainwaring seeking out Dipper and giving the big fella the most genuine hug and having a talk to his hero after the siren. I thought it was remarkable sportsmanship from a young bloke who would be feeling shattered.

As we know, he went on to become a two time premiership hero himself.

Please add happy and inspirational memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIP Chris, now you're kicking the footy around on the big oval in the sky with the legends.

Sincere sympathy to the guys at West Coast and to his wife and family.

Re: Favorite memories of Chris Mainwaring the player.

Mid way through the 92 season, we beat the Bombers at the G by about 12 goals and Mainy kicked a ripper from 50 after shoving a Bombers player (could have been Mark Harvey?) in the face and onto his arse.

Also, the semi final that same year against the Cats, he kicked an amazing quasi-banana/snap from the right full forward pocket while running towards the boundary - the ball when through at goal post height - it was amazing.

His 1996 season when he was easily our best player at 30, stood up when we lost so many stars with injury.
"Standing up" for the team whenever it was required would be my main memory of Chris Mainwaring.

jumping off the bench after the grand final despite the fact he was in pain because of an ankle injury.
bloody legend.

Fave memory is of course the end of the '92 grand final - man so excited pain had no place in his day!
I think the number 3 should be retired by the club now, ideal time to do it and would be a fitting tribute to a bloke who had blue and gold pumping through his veins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back