Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only major change was that we had an in form ruck and a forward pressure focus to lock the ball in.
We still played with a loose man standing in the leading lane of the opposition power forward, even at the G.

Mindset to hunt the footy and hunt the man does not mean anything about how we set up. It's all in the head.

They were clearly big changes. Forward pressure being the massive one. But I maintain that our defenders were also playing a more accountable game rather than the zoning that we had been doing over the previous few years. I remember at the game commenting about it.

Bews is best 22 and played well, Blicavs is our best ruck, Tuohy is a competent forward, we are playing better footy now than at the start of the year, and Charlie Cameron didn't influence the result on the weekend. And that's just from this week.

Has he completely lost the plot or is he playing games? Wake up!

Bews is best 22 and played well, Blicavs is our best ruck, Tuohy is a competent forward, we are playing better footy now than at the start of the year, and Charlie Cameron didn't influence the result on the weekend. And that's just from this week.

Well, when you put it like that, he’s pretty funny isn’t he? I would suggest we have no idea what he actually thinks. He’s not giving anything away.

Long time listener, first time caller.
While Chris Scott ain't perfect, we are a better than even chance to finish on top of the ladder at the end of the week. What a freakin' failure as a coach this guy must be.
Yeah, the cards fell our way early doors when we played some strong teams when they were vulnerable, but if anyone had said to me at the start of the year that we would spend the home and away season in the top four, and come within 2 points of knocking off the No. 2 side on their home deck interstate in a season we blood a 1st year player, a vfl player, a 2nd year player, get games into an Irishman and a raw chf/ruck, with a couple of mature recruits to the forward line thrown in, I'd have been talking genius in coaches, mc, and recruitment. Yes, we want a Gawn, or a Grundy, or a Goldstein but we have a 'Sav to support a Stanley or a Smith (I hope that's the plan).
For many years I didn't warm to CS, but this year I thought he'd relaxed a bit, last presser irritation aside. The coach and various players can frustrate me, but boy has this club given me one hell of a ride over the last fifteen years. Kept us in contention year after year after year with barely a blip. Do we have any right to be up at the top of the ladder, hell no, we should have plummeted years ago. Have we made mistakes in not finding a first rate ruckman, Yeah, but most other clubs envy the hell out of us, and I'd suggest most other professional sporting clubs throughout the world would envy our simply staggering record in a competition that rewards failure and punishes success.

This team is not as good as 07-11, but then there are only 3 other teams in the last 40 years that can be mentioned in the same breath. I reckon both Richmond and West Coast are stronger than us this year, but there is no shame in working your guts out, performing above everyones expectations, and being beaten by a better side. Perhaps better coached, perhaps a better mix of temperaments, perhaps more talent, perhaps luckier, perhaps better herbs and spices.

What pisses me off most is getting close, and then having to put up with people denigrating the efforts of all the people who have worked their arses off, by simply saying they can't hack the pressure. Bollocks, 2013 is the only side that genuinely could have gone all the way, and missed by a bees whisker to a team that was genuinely good.

Only one team can win it each year, and this amazing club has put us in contention...A.G.A.I.N.

Keep him away from all cameras and microphones for crying out loud!
It’s not a bad idea is it.
Why?
You guys would have nothing to go on about.
Plus, pretty neat paraphrasing and editing..

While Chris Scott ain't perfect, we are a better than even chance to finish on top of the ladder at the end of the week. What a freakin' failure as a coach this guy must be.
Yeah, the cards fell our way early doors when we played some strong teams when they were vulnerable, but if anyone had said to me at the start of the year that we would spend the home and away season in the top four, and come within 2 points of knocking off the No. 2 side on their home deck interstate in a season we blood a 1st year player, a vfl player, a 2nd year player, get games into an Irishman and a raw chf/ruck, with a couple of mature recruits to the forward line thrown in, I'd have been talking genius in coaches, mc, and recruitment. Yes, we want a Gawn, or a Grundy, or a Goldstein but we have a 'Sav to support a Stanley or a Smith (I hope that's the plan).
For many years I didn't warm to CS, but this year I thought he'd relaxed a bit, last presser irritation aside. The coach and various players can frustrate me, but boy has this club given me one hell of a ride over the last fifteen years. Kept us in contention year after year after year with barely a blip. Do we have any right to be up at the top of the ladder, hell no, we should have plummeted years ago. Have we made mistakes in not finding a first rate ruckman, Yeah, but most other clubs envy the hell out of us, and I'd suggest most other professional sporting clubs throughout the world would envy our simply staggering record in a competition that rewards failure and punishes success.

This team is not as good as 07-11, but then there are only 3 other teams in the last 40 years that can be mentioned in the same breath. I reckon both Richmond and West Coast are stronger than us this year, but there is no shame in working your guts out, performing above everyones expectations, and being beaten by a better side. Perhaps better coached, perhaps a better mix of temperaments, perhaps more talent, perhaps luckier, perhaps better herbs and spices.

What pisses me off most is getting close, and then having to put up with people denigrating the efforts of all the people who have worked their arses off, by simply saying they can't hack the pressure. Bollocks, 2013 is the only side that genuinely could have gone all the way, and missed by a bees whisker to a team that was genuinely good.

Only one team can win it each year, and this amazing club has put us in contention...A.G.A.I.N.
Excellent summary. Agree completely.
Keep posting.

Welcome aboard

And nicely worded and reasoned first post

Looking forward to reading more insights

There have been sides with worst lists than ours who have won the premiership. There is no reason of Scott sorted his s**t out and implemented the right plan we should go close to winning. Spud rucks aside.

I laughed at Scotty boasting Geelong has 5 ready to go ruckman that not many teams do. Well, if they're so ready to go then why can't he settle on one? The reason is because they are five mediocre ruckmen not capable of dominating the stoppages when it matters. They're not match winners, they're just mediocre players. While I do think ruckmen are generally overrated, you can't deny the influence an elite one has on a match at times. Judging by Scotty's recent media form, he looks a bloke really feeling the pressure at the moment, and so he should. Another finals failure is not going to look good.

Why?
You guys would have nothing to go on about.
Plus, pretty neat paraphrasing and editing..
Haha, true enough. Although to be fair, most of the criticism of him stems from his coaching, so there will always be plenty to talk about. How much of it is valid or not, is another matter.
I know he is a very intelligent guy who sometimes says thoughtful, interesting things and occasionally says silly things. The silly things are of course, quite memorable, and the Cameron quip, like the ‘mission accomplished’, will live long in people’s minds and means his worthwhile commentary gets a bit diluted. His scepticism for the media seems to inform some of his dealings with it, but maybe he’s not quite ‘authentic’ anymore. I’m not always sure when to trust his words, so guarded, or calculated, or combative, is he. Or maybe he’s just playful!

Last edited:

Awesome post. I agree 100%.

We’re getting to the whiny “I want all the toys every year” stage.

There is no stepping back and being objective- it’s just complaint after complaint about things that everyone is aware of but it is also apparent that they can’t be fixed.

Yes yes we need a great ruckman. So we don’t have one. Does everyone seriously think that Wells and Scott and the club haven’t tried to poach one for all these years? Sometimes they don’t want to come. Sometimes they get paid more to go elsewhere.

Okay, so the team isn’t settled and it’s finals in 2 weeks time. So why is that? Well, could it be that we have a couple of injuries and a few players out of form? What exactly can the club do about that? They are trying various things - trying to play Touhy into form, resting Rohan and Clarke to recover from their injuries, dropping Menegola and Stanley to get them to work on their games, promoting Narkle for having good form.

Beyond that, the team is pretty much exactly what it was on day 1.

Point out another team that you can guarantee will keep the same team from now until the GF?

Last weekend for Richmond, Astbury was nearly out for the season. Sydney Stack was dropped. Nank was injured.

WC lost Shepherd. Darling was hurt. NicNat is on the wings.

Brisbane lost Christensen. They won’t field an unchanged lineup either.

So the coach said that he thought Tuohy and Bews played ok games. It’s been pointed out quite a few times that only a couple of goals were kicked on him. A few were kicked on other defenders while he was resting. The ones that were kicked on him, well one was a potential push in the back, one could have been marked by him.

Tuohy missed two goals. If he kicked those he’d be a hero.

I’d say the coach isn’t really looking at the plain as day trite comments - “he kicked a goal, he let a goal be kicked, he missed a goal” stats, which really aren’t the reason why a team wins or loses. I’d say it’s more to do with - we let them take it out of our forward line easily. We didn’t defend the transition. We didn’t slow the game down when we should have. We didn’t work as a team. We didn’t do what we are supposed to do and support each other.

Taylor was so pissed walking off the ground. And he wasn’t pissed at Bews. He was staring at the mids and forwards.

If one player let us down on the weekend, who’s output should have been at a higher consistency- well that was Hawkins. He marks any of those balls that Adams took with ease - or at least spoils it - and Cameron is not scoring it or even one on one with Bews.

CS even labelled Adams as his best on ground.

The team is really trying as hard as they can. A little bit of support from the fans and supporters instead of laying the boot in is the least we can do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Scott was happy to award Cyril maximum votes when he kicked 6 goals from 7 touches a few years back.
Two of them were alone in the square, another 2 in the final minute when game was done. He also had just 1 tackle. Puopolo put the pressure on that night.

Cameron kicked 5 in a 1 point game, had 17 touches and 2 tackles plus pressure was higher.

I don’t know if this tells me Scott hates Cameron or Cyril is massively overrated by everyone as they all creamed themselves when Cyril kicked ‘6’
One of the best games ever people called it..... unbelievable stuff!

The Club has a great tradition however supporters are entitled to have a say even though it might be negative. Our crushing defeats which lead to straight set exists from the finals are an indictment on the club. The games are over by the middle of the first quarter more often than not. The coach and the players must overcome this as the pattern is undeniably there.

The Club has a great tradition however supporters are entitled to have a say even though it might be negative. Our crushing defeats which lead to straight set exists from the finals are an indictment on the club. The games are over by the middle of the first quarter more often than not. The coach and the players must overcome this as the pattern is undeniably there.
We seem to better defensively this year so we may not get blown away so meekly as in years past. But yes first quarter of those prelims v Sydney and Adelaide, followed by last years horror v Melbourne were awful

For posterity (first qtrs):

Geelong 0.5
Sydney 7.2

Geelong 1.2
Adelaide 6.1

Geelong 0.2
Melbourne 5.3

Last edited:

To be fair he never said Blicavs was our best ruck and on 360 last night he left the door well and truly open for a change in that position this week.

we've rolled about 30 players out in 4 years
If thats not a rebuild what the hell is?

GO Catters

This is why Chris Scott is so polarizing realistically it has been an excellent year results wise. Clark, Constable, Miers, Atkins, Henry, Rat, MOC, parfitt all playing large chunks of senior footy top two on ladder.

They are excellent results this was never a flag looking list so I assume he has elevated it Tim Kelly, Tom Stewart, Blicavs, Menegola mature age success stories.

So obviously he does enough right just strategically with his rigid gameplan and home ground masking a few deficiencies. Cats get exposed a bit when the pressure turns up.

We know the history he got there first year
( insert opinion ) Mine is probably pinched a flag that year with his change as head coach.

Has not been able to put a good enough run together since. That is the frustrating part and I exclude this year completely in terms of finals results because I did not think the cats would be in this position so I have given him a pass for 2019 he did enough right. Can't teach an old dog new tricks

Perhaps he breaks the mould this season that is the hope

Cos for every 10 pick 50 spuds you might get one that becomes a good player.

Why dont we trade our 1st round pick for 10 picks in the 50's?

As far as Sav and Miers neither player has made it.

Sav is extremely overrated. The only thing he has done so far is look less s**t compared to Buzza.

Miers looks a bit better but it's early days.

Tom Stewart was in the 40's good pick.

How is a player our best ruck when he gets thumped in the hit outs and has less possessions per game then the other ruckman?

How is a player our best ruck when he gets thumped in the hit outs and has less possessions per game then the other ruckman?
We can only surmise that they are correlating the performance of our midfield with Blicavs being ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back