Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - PART III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless he is asking them to make bad decisions and turn the ball over consistently, I would say no.

It's a playing bad football issue.
Are the players being coached correctly to make good decisions? Why is it the first quarter? Are they not switched on? If so why? Something is clearly going on - there is no reason it should take 1/4 to at least produce some semblance of average/decent football. I know our team is not the most talented but its inexcusable to produce that sort of effort going into finals.. Especially given our history.

Are the players being coached correctly to make good decisions? Why is it the first quarter? Are they not switched on? If so why? Something is clearly going on - there is no reason it should take 1/4 to at least produce some semblance of average/decent football. I know our team is not the most talented but its inexcusable to produce that sort of effort going into finals.. Especially given our history.

Good question. There seems no logical reason why the players make bad decisions in the first quarter and good decisions in the final quarter. I think we're still the best final quarter team in the league this year.

It generally happens against our bogey teams - Sydney and Collingwood in particular.

No doubt the coaches will be working very hard to solve this issue. If we fold in the finals after a bad first quarter again, serious questions will need to be asked.

A better coach wouldn't be down by 28 points at qtr time against a depleted Pies outfit and then scrape home to win by 11 points despite doubling the opposition's inside 50s.
A lesser coach would have been in that position in the 1st qtr, and lost.

Like Clarkson did yesterday against Carlton. Clarkson is such a crap coach now that his assistants have had enough of him and left.

Good question. There seems no logical reason why the players make bad decisions in the first quarter and good decisions in the final quarter. I think we're still the best final quarter team in the league this year.

It generally happens against our bogey teams - Sydney and Collingwood in particular.

No doubt the coaches will be working very hard to solve this issue. If we fold in the finals after a bad first quarter again, serious questions will need to be asked.

I went through our season last week after a conversation with my Dad where he lamented that we "always" lose first quarters. I thought he was exaggerating (he was) but the record is still pretty horrid - basically 50/50 and the first quarters we've lost we generally go in to qtr time 4 goals down. It's a huge worry and probably the main issue from last year that we've yet to see addressed. We know from our PF last year and our match against Sydney the other week that if we give them a headstart, we might as well not bother coming back onto the field after quarter time.

The type of finals loss that would most disappoint me this year would be a repeat of that Prelim. If we lose a close, hard-fought final, fine. It'll be disappointing but fine. If we have a knockout final lost by quarter time I'll be filthy and really start questioning the mindset of the players and the preparations under Scott's watch.

Last edited:
Whats with this team getting murdered in first quarters... What didn't Scott learn from the first quarter effort against Sydney? Are the players not doing what he is asking? If so why? Is it an intelligence issue or respect issue?
It's like running 4 laps around the Tan with a car tyre on your back for the first lap.
Ever tried it?
Great when you chuck it off- the next lap is awesomely easier.
CS is letting us come up against blow-out first quarters, giving us the challenge to still win.
Giving them so many head starts yet we still consolidate top 4.
Bit hard to handle?

The real analogy is that come finals, we don't give up these head starts

Last edited:
It's like running 4 laps around the Tan with a car tyre on your back for the first lap.
Ever tried it?
Great when you chuck it off- the next lap is awesomely easier.
CS is letting us come up against blow-out first quarters, giving us the challenge to still win.
Giving them so many head starts yet we still consolidate top 4.
Bit hard to handle?
Some of our supporters go home after the first quarter. Those ones want something to cheer about. :D

I think we need to win multiple finals not just 1.
Anything less than a Grand Final appearance will be another wasted year.
Sure I agree that's a big picture view but only 2 teams achieve that every year and 16 fail. Losing finals in the same way would be a concern. If we play well but can't get over the line I think that's different. We only just beat Hawthorn then got smashed by Sydney. A repeat of that wouldn't be satisfying. From where the team is this year I don't think we'll be in the grand final. But there's still a chance of things go right. We have the team to do it but we need the players out to come back in and be match fit.

How about instead of sarcasm you have a shot at coming up with some ideas why its happening?

How the f*** would I know? We get 30 minutes of footy every 3-4 weeks to gather every bit of info possible about the issue. Each of them against a different opponent who plays a different way.

In reality the problem probably needs about 10 hours of analysis from each time it's happened.

I think we need to win multiple finals not just 1.
Anything less than a Grand Final appearance will be another wasted year.

We don't have the cattle i'm afraid, i won't say we are pretenders but we are just over achievers for where we are at, it's actually a joke we are in the top 4.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't have the cattle i'm afraid, i won't say we are pretenders but we are just over achievers for where we are at, it's actually a joke we are in the top 4.

It's almost as though the coach is able to get more out of the cattle than one would expect based on the quality there.

It's almost as though the coach is able to get more out of the cattle than one would expect based on the quality there.

Amazing hey....particularly from a guy who apparently can't coach as some luminaries on here have suggested.

His coaching performance last Saturday was top drawer!

Last edited:
Some of our supporters go home after the first quarter. Those ones want something to cheer about. :D

I was ridiculed by a bunch of Cats fans after giving them a spray because they left at 3QT against Fremantle. The plastic fans that don't stand by our team can get piss off to port Adelaide. There have been 10s of thousands of Cats fans that stood by their team for 47 years of pain and suffering. We endured debt, fincaical crisis, coaches failing to deliver. The real cats fans stand by their team no matter what position we finish in, no matter how we perform during a game. The plastic fans can GAGF and nick off to port Adelaide or Collingwood where this culture is acceptable. We are Geelong we stand by our players and supporters, we are one big family, GO CATS

Geelong debuted 8 players this season, the second most in the league (NTH most with 10). That's also double the amount of Hawthorn, who are apparently rebuilding. Debuted 8 players and still made the top 4, so s**t year and Scott/club has NFI.

Each is a true statement.
We are amazingly top 4.
We achieve more than we should in H & A.
We just do not have the depth of available talent to turn it on MORE when finals come around.
And it is awesome we have introduced a near record number of debutantes this year.
Have thought that all year.
Yet of course many will be bitterly disappointed if we go out of September without a win.
And if JSelwood is not ready, that does make it really tough. Danger can not be expected to be our saviour weekly.
CS has very little to answer for apart from raising the hopes of so many supporters because he has managed to get us a top 4 again.

The excuses are coming thick and fast for our anticipated finals exit.

All season I've heard this is an even year, no standout, we can win it, now all of a sudden we overachieved. So in actual fact the likes of Biggy, Blighty and co were spot on in saying we couldn't win it and you lot were saying we can but all of a sudden we overachieved, goalpost shifting at its finest.

So we overachieved during the year so WTF is wrong with overachieving in the finals? The overachieving doesn't cut it for me, if we were good enough to deliver during the year then no reason we can't deliver in the finals. This is just an excuse from you pussies to say we haven't been good enough under Scott end of story.

How the f*** would I know? We get 30 minutes of footy every 3-4 weeks to gather every bit of info possible about the issue. Each of them against a different opponent who plays a different way.

In reality the problem probably needs about 10 hours of analysis from each time it's happened.
After you complete your task from the emu, please write a report with your findings and post it to Chris Scott. I'm sure he wouldn't have had any time to work on this task himself.

You seriously have to wonder and some of the stupidity on this board....

'I expect a grandfinal no less, otherwise it's a failure'. Every commentator is saying it's a Sydney Adelaide final, yet we've got numbskulls expecting us to be in it.

Then 'are our poor starts to do with intelligence or respect'. Is there no factoring in other teams and tactics? Scott adapts to his team to the challenge in front of it. That's what coaches do. If their personnel aren't capable or not coached well enough, they fail.

The excuses are coming thick and fast for our anticipated finals exit.

All season I've heard this is an even year, no standout, we can win it, now all of a sudden we overachieved. So in actual fact the likes of Biggy, Blighty and co were spot on in saying we couldn't win it and you lot were saying we can but all of a sudden we overachieved, goalpost shifting at its finest.

So we overachieved during the year so WTF is wrong with overachieving in the finals? The overachieving doesn't cut it for me, if we were good enough to deliver during the year then no reason we can't deliver in the finals. This is just an excuse from you pussies to say we haven't been good enough under Scott end of story.

1. If we have as good a list as you seem to think we do - judging by the fact that you don't give Scott any credit for our position - and those players have gotten us into the top 4/2 DESPITE Scott, then isn't it in turn their responsibility to keep succeeding despite him in finals? If he has such little influence on our success then it is a natural conclusion that he has none on our failure.

2. In finals you are guaranteed to play other good sides, automatically, in theory, making the task harder.

3. The irony of an anti-Scott poster in this thread using the phrase 'goalpost shifting' is crippling

1. If we have as good a list as you seem to think we do - judging by the fact that you don't give Scott any credit for our position - and those players have gotten us into the top 4/2 DESPITE Scott, then isn't it in turn their responsibility to keep succeeding despite him in finals? If he has such little influence on our success then it is a natural conclusion that he has none on our failure.

You should get a real job, you have too much time on your hands.

Anyway it's Scott who makes all the wrong moves and picks players that don't deserve games.

2. In finals you are guaranteed to play other good sides, automatically, in theory, making the task harder.
During the year we also play those same sides that make finals so why is it any harder?

3. The irony of an anti-Scott poster in this thread using the phrase 'goalpost shifting' is crippling
We've maintained all season that we wouldn't win the flag, you lot have said we will and now the excuses are flowing out of your big mouths so who's shifting goalposts?

Anyway it's Scott who makes all the wrong moves and picks players that don't deserve games.

During the year we also play those same sides that make finals so why is it any harder?

We've maintained all season that we wouldn't win the flag, you lot have said we will and now the excuses are flowing out of your big mouths so who's shifting goalposts?

I like how you constantly post a lot of words that say absolutely nothing.
So who are these players who don't deserve games, and who would be their replacements.
What are these wrong moves and why, and why are we sitting third on the ladder if they keep making all these woeful decisions?
Looking forward to you derping about kicking backwards 100m and "guarding grass" as you tend to do.

I'm sitting in a hospital waiting for my wife to have an operation. I have 4 jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back