Club vs Country: Losing BBL players to Australian team

Remove this Banner Ad

The final is on the 24th this year with a couple of days break when Australia play an ODI. So you could bring forward the final a couple of days then play the ODI's starting on the 26th. The international summer would then go to the middle of Feb. Wouldn't work every year if they are to tour SA or NZ after but it could work most years

No the Stars played diabolical cricket. That is why they lost.

Plus why would you sign half your squad when you know they won't be there...it was poor team management.

The issue is more to do with the Stars signing players before they become Australian players Maxwell, Faulkner, Boland etc. In the future it will be the likes of Hansdcomb and Stoinis, maybe the Stars identify talent better than the other sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue is more to do with the Stars signing players before they become Australian players Maxwell, Faulkner, Boland etc. In the future it will be the likes of Hansdcomb and Stoinis, maybe the Stars identify talent better than the other sides.

Then don't sign them simple. No one is forcing the Stars ton pick them. In fact the Stars could have kept McKay for instance for one of those players

Seems to be lots of Stars jealousy on BigFooty :rolleyes: I'd probably be jealous of another club too if they were capable of dragging in an 80k + crowd!
I'll keep our two titles ahead of a crowd that big! The Scorchers crowd is sick.

I'll keep our two titles ahead of a crowd that big! The Scorchers crowd is sick.

Yeh heaps of respect for the Scorchers!! And no doubt your crowds would be much bigger if the capacity allowed it!

How do you think you'll go without SMarsh? If Bancroft and AA can continue last night's form you'll be just about unstoppable and I've got a bad feeling that the Stars will be travelling across the Nullarbor for the first final :cry:

Yeh heaps of respect for the Scorchers!! And no doubt your crowds would be much bigger if the capacity allowed it!

How do you think you'll go without SMarsh? If Bancroft and AA can continue last night's form you'll be just about unstoppable and I've got a bad feeling that the Stars will be travelling across the Nullarbor for the first final :cry:
I always worry about how he will go without certain players, but we always seem to come through, so I've given up underestimating the Scorchers. I can't see Bancroft and AA maintaining the rage, though - they are still learning the format and it is a type of cricket that breeds inconsistency anyway. Still, with our bowling plans we can beat anybody on any given night!

Domestic comps will always be second to International.

Otherwise it might create the danger of having a comp with all the best players playing in an awesome EPL like competition.

And the ICC will shudder at the thought of that.

Otherwise it might create the danger of having a comp with all the best players playing in an awesome EPL like competition.

The IPL effectively already is that. It's distant in the Australian public consciousness because it hasn't been on TV here for 5 years for whatever reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when they wipe meaningless ODIs from touring schedules, then you will see more of the best in the BBL.

Unfortunately as a lot have already pointed out on here, ODIs are still a ratings gravy train TV wise and will continue to be scheduled. I think that people are quickly realizing how much better cricket is when there is a salary cap, ladder, consistent and competitive matches etc: which will really put more pressure on international cricket to evolve.

As long as the World Cup is the pinnacle of international cricket no ODI will be meaningless.

*meh*

Years ago, the Australian selectors decided that the World Cup was the only ODI trophy worth chasing... and that all other ODI's were just about developing the squad to be ready for the World Cup. With the next Cup not until 2019, it makes any match at the moment seem pretty meaningless. It's only about 18 months out that they start to take things really seriously.

As much fun as the Big Bash is, it can't have mid December to late January to itself. The calendar won't allow it.

Anyone who signs Warner, Smith, Hazlewood, Starc etc. does so in the knowledge they will be playing at least test cricket in December and January.

We've now got 5 ODIs while the Big Bash is still on, then 3 ODIs in NZ, then 3 T20Is in late Feb back in Oz then a test tour to India immediately after.

What's the solution? Fewer ODIs vs Pakistan? Scrap the ODIs in NZ?

What's the solution? Fewer ODIs vs Pakistan? Scrap the ODIs in NZ?

Pretty much, yeah.

The public has shown over the past couple of seasons that ODI cricket (except for the World Cup) is not that attractive a prospect. Some of the ODI crowds have been pretty poor.

Last summer in Perth the 4 BBL crowds were 20K, 20K, 19K, and 20K. The single ODI that was in the middle of them (vs India, so a big-drawing team) was 15K.

Hobart is getting 18K to the BBL - more than they have had for any AFL match. Melbourne has had 80K and 70K the last 2 years - when was the last time we saw an ODI crowd that big? Adelaide is getting AFL-sized crowds for the BBL.

The public are interested in International Test Cricket (although they don't necessarily go). That stays. The public don't really care about the meaningless ODI's - and so they don't go. The franchise concept for the BBL and other T20 Leagues has been a huge success and the public want to spend money and time to go. (I don't want to have the argument about whether T20s will die off - the IPL is 10 years old - The BBL is 6 years old, both still going strong).

I see nothing wrong with giving the paying public what they want. The Brisbane fans want Lynn in the BBL.

Pretty much, yeah.

The public has shown over the past couple of seasons that ODI cricket (except for the World Cup) is not that attractive a prospect. Some of the ODI crowds have been pretty poor.

Last summer in Perth the 4 BBL crowds were 20K, 20K, 19K, and 20K. The single ODI that was in the middle of them (vs India, so a big-drawing team) was 15K.

That ODI was on a Tuesday. If the BBL start hosting games at 11am during the week they'll see their crowds drop in a hurry.

Hobart is getting 18K to the BBL - more than they have had for any AFL match. Melbourne has had 80K and 70K the last 2 years - when was the last time we saw an ODI crowd that big? Adelaide is getting AFL-sized crowds for the BBL.

Agree 100% that ODI is on the nose. In the 90s it was the most exciting format of the game. You got the whole game in one day (either day or day/night). I think the problem is OD cricket in general, though - not ODI. It's stuck in the middle between the tradition of tests and the fast paced action of T20 which is the shiny new thing and has the convenience of fitting into a 3 hour after work timeslot. I remember going to watch WA play Victoria at the WACA in a one dayer years ago. Was either Mercantile Mutual or ING Cup at that stage and there were 9 or 10k there. Does anyone attend the Matador Cup?

The public are interested in International Test Cricket (although they don't necessarily go). That stays. The public don't really care about the meaningless ODI's - and so they don't go. The franchise concept for the BBL and other T20 Leagues has been a huge success and the public want to spend money and time to go. (I don't want to have the argument about whether T20s will die off - the IPL is 10 years old - The BBL is 6 years old, both still going strong).

Why do tests get a free pass without large attendances but ODIs don't? ODI TV ratings are still pretty healthy. If they weren't then I've no doubt we'd see fewer of them. The BBL had an average TV viewership of 1.1m last year compared to 1.2m for the Aus vs India ODI series. Given ODIs are 60 overs longer than T20s that's a bargaining chip for CA.

The BBL has been a huge success but I'm uneasy about giving it even more pull over the calendar. ODDs have been shunted off to a glorified lightning carnival and the Shield is broken in two with a two month gap.

I see nothing wrong with giving the paying public what they want. The Brisbane fans want Lynn in the BBL.

Of course they do, but what if he's called up for the Boxing Day test? Would there be the same angst if we were playing T20Is and not ODIs? Would Brisbane fans rather see Lynn making his test debut on a Monday at the Gabba or playing for the Heat on a Tuesday somewhere else?

International cricket needs to be the pinnacle or we'll end up like the Windies where their best players would rather play in the IPL than in tests. I don't think up to 11-14 players being unavailable for some Big Bash fixtures is that big a deal. What annoys me more is that with the current calendar we pick players with minimal domestic form to fall back on. There's minimal FC cricket in Dec/Jan when the tests are on and there's no List A cricket after October.

We're almost locked in to playing multiple ODI series each summer because if we start in Feb we're picking guys who haven't played any ODD cricket since October. If we need players for tests in January we're picking guys who haven't played FC cricket for a month. The Big Bash is being used as a source of players for all 3 formats because it's the only domestic comp running.

Pretty much, yeah.

ODI rates higher on tv than any big bash game

The usual peanuts tearing up about it would do well to read this enlightening article.

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1073633/the-big-argument-before-the-big-bash

CA deserve a lot of the flack they receive but retaining the rights and control rather than going for outside investment has been a brilliant move for them.

This will be a big issue in the years to come. Big Bash teams accept it now as they're newish, figuring things out, and CA is running most things. But in say 2031 it's going to be a different story.

And here's one of them. Why are CA going to give up control now when they can reap the benefits for what everyone expects to be decades?

This was posted a year ago, why can't some other teams start producing talent so the Stars aren't decimated every year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back