BBL Match 32 Brisbane Heat v Perth Scorchers 1910hrs @ the Gabba

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries are a thing mate. Better to have them prepared. If Johnson gets injured in the second semi do you want someone coming in off 0 BBL games?

He was listed as a bowler on cricinfo, just put him there because of that. Slide him up to 6/7/8 below Peirson and amongst Wildermuth/Walter/Neser
Injuries are a thing but they're a rarity in this format. The bowling line-up has a real fluency to it at the moment, and will be Heat's strength going into finals. I wouldnt want to disturb that to cater for the unlikely event that one of them gets injured personally. Even if Johnson did get injured you can still get 20 overs out of Neser, Bartlett, Walter, Kuhnemann and Swepson (and McSweeney).

I just don't see any merit in chopping and changing the team any more than they will already be forced to when they've got a good thing going at the moment.
The 4/5 spot is a bit of a worry, will they look to bring in an international replacement?
Yeah that's absolutely what they should do if they can, but I'm not sure if they're able to this far into the tournament. It would be classic BBL for a team to bring in an international player just for finals though.

When would you have liked the Test matches/BBL Finals to be played?
Yeah that is difficult. Generally speaking Tests being played in November in Brisbane used to help negate Christmas-January wet season and opened things up for the domestic season. It's tough because no matter what you'll tread on someone's toes (except Melbourne or Sydney but they are the 2 biggest markets so probably deserve to be catered to a little).

Ultimately the 2 seasons will overlap based on our setup and there's very little that can be done. It's more about mitigating these clashes with important fixtures. In my head (perhaps flawed so definitely there to be worked with): Tests should probably be starting mid-late November into early January, Big Bash starting mid-December finishing late January. That feels like it gives the fixture more flexibility to manoeuvre around each state's test and allow the BBL finals to stand alone.

But yeah, it is the million dollar question.

Yeah that is difficult. Generally speaking Tests being played in November in Brisbane used to help negate Christmas-January wet season and opened things up for the domestic season. It's tough because no matter what you'll tread on someone's toes (except Melbourne or Sydney but they are the 2 biggest markets so probably deserve to be catered to a little).

Ultimately the 2 seasons will overlap based on our setup and there's very little that can be done. It's more about mitigating these clashes with important fixtures. In my head (perhaps flawed so definitely there to be worked with): Tests should probably be starting mid-late November into early January, Big Bash starting mid-December finishing late January. That feels like it gives the fixture more flexibility to manoeuvre around each state's test and allow the BBL finals to stand alone.

But yeah, it is the million dollar question.
Hard to play a November Test in Brisbane when a 7 Week ODI World Cup finishes on November 19.

That's true for this year. Not entirely sure if it could've been played earlier or perhaps that it was unavoidable. Either way, still immensely disappointing
Probably not going to move a World Cup so that Australia's domestic T20 Tournament doesn't clash with a Test match.

Probably not going to move a World Cup so that Australia's domestic T20 Tournament doesn't clash with a Test match.
...that wasn't, in any way, what the point of that post was. What could've been played "earlier" was the Test (inferring Early December) before opining that that wasn't feasible

...that wasn't, in any way, what the point of that post was. What could've been played "earlier" was the Test (inferring Early December) before opining that that wasn't feasible
Ah sorry, mis-read.

Still I don't think you could have scheduled a Test match any earlier than they did given most of the 2 teams involved were coming off the back of a long World Cup. These are the compromises of scheduling, I don't think people appreciate how hard it is. The BBL is rightly considered a lesser priority than international cricket.

Ah sorry, mis-read.

Still I don't think you could have scheduled a Test match any earlier than they did given most of the 2 teams involved were coming off the back of a long World Cup. These are the compromises of scheduling, I don't think people appreciate how hard it is. The BBL is rightly considered a lesser priority than international cricket.
Agreed. Which is pretty much the summation of my external monologing here in the last half hour: Sadly unavoidable but is no less thoroughly disappointing (to the point of further damaging my interest).

Ah well

Agreed. Which is pretty much the summation of my external monologing here in the last half hour: Sadly unavoidable but is no less thoroughly disappointing (to the point of further damaging my interest).

Ah well
If it's any consolation you get the opportunity to go to a Test match and see probably 8 of the Worlds best 25 cricketers play.

The Marsh Cup has gone the way of the Shield, played in front of a few men and their dogs and buried in the mid week slots on Fox only.

It's a far cry from the glory days when it was the McDonalds Cup or the Mercantile Mutual Cup which were on the weekends and on Ch9.
And often a player like Glenn McGrath would play 2 one dayers , one shield game before the first test of the summer

Back