BBL Match 41 The Qualifier Brisbane Heat v Sydney Sixers 1910hrs @ Carrara

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably 55/45 Heat's way. That's a defensible total if they bowl well

Cricket Australia would much prefer a Grand Final in Sydney than the Gold Coast.
I'm sure they'd love to play every Grand Final in Sydney or Melbourne but that's not how the league works. If Hobart were victorious in this game then they would deservedly host the GF in Tassie, despite the stadium capacity sitting around 18k.

I'm sure they'd love to play every Grand Final in Sydney or Melbourne but that's not how the league works. If Hobart were victorious in this game then they would deservedly host the GF in Tassie, despite the stadium capacity sitting around 18k.
Nothing against Brisbane or Gold Coast, I have spent summers working up there and loved it. But ticket sales, the market city, getting more eyes on the game nationally - its a win-win for Cricket Australia to have a game in the Harbour City. I even think a 45,000 SCG Grand Final outweighs a 60,000 Perth Stadium Grand Final from a benefit side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing against Brisbane or Gold Coast, I have spent summers working up there and loved it. But ticket sales, the market city, getting more eyes on the game nationally - its a win-win for Cricket Australia to have a game in the Harbour City. I even think a 45,000 SCG Grand Final outweighs a 60,000 Perth Stadium Grand Final from a benefit side.
Do you follow the A-League at all? They signed a big contract with the NSW government to host three consecutive Grand Finals in Sydney and it was met with A LOT of criticism/disappointment. The fans began boycotting games and the deal is now viewed as one of the silliest things the A-League has ever attempted. To the point that the A-League ditched the plans one year in and switched back to the highest qualifier method that was previously in place. In recent years the BBL has been struggling to reach the heights of the fan engagement we saw around a decade ago and I think making the same mistake the A-League made last year could result in horrific outcomes for Cricket Australia. Just leave it the way it is instead of trying to get every single major sporting event to be excelusively played in Sydney or Melbourne. If the Sixers or Thunder are good enough then Sydney will host.

Do you follow the A-League at all? The signed a big contract with the NSW government to host three consecutive Grand Finals in Sydney and it was met with A LOT of criticism/disappointment. The fans began boycotting games and the deal is now viewed as one of the silliest things the A-League has ever attempted. To the point that the A-League ditched the plans one year in and switched back to the highest qualifier method that was previously in place. In recent years the BBL has been struggling to reach the heights of the fan engagement we saw around a decade ago and I think making the same mistake the A-League made last year could result in horrific outcomes for Cricket Australia. Just leave it the way it is instead of trying to get every single major sporting event to be excelusively played in Sydney or Melbourne. If the Sixers or Thunder are good enough then Sydney will host.
When the Perth Scorchers earnt the right to host a final back in BBL 4, they had to play their home final in Canberra. I mean Im good for the team that deserved the rights to host it , to actually host a game at their home venue. I just see Sydney as a bigger market than Perth, and having a game played in a bigger city means the authorities are rubbing their hands with glee. I sort of compare it to the AFL, no doubt a GWS v Gold Coast Grand Final would be inside bad for AFL numbers on TVs and maybe interest. AFL inside, would much prefer a big side in there somehow eg a Collingwood or a Richmond. I dont have the figures on me but dare I say it the years where Collingwood did make the grand final,especially in 2018 and 2023 the numbers would have been higher than your years without a powerhouse team.

Yep I do follow A-League but not so much these days. Dont really understand the 'Unite Round' concept being played exclusively in Sydney. Sydney teams for some reason , look at NRL- the fans dont even have the passion for those teams with fairly low turn outs. I believe Sydneysiders are time busy as a reason.

I know it's very different from the Shield but from a mental / pressure perspective, this is a good scenario to test an up and comer like McSweeney whom quite a few of us on here rate.

Back