Coalition victory how?

Remove this Banner Ad

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Extraordinary watching this unfold but how on earth could the coalition possibly have won this?

(Its looking like a Coalition win mainly because the ABC panel reminds me of last nights commentary as West Coast rolled over Melbourne).

Last edited:
This is extraordinary watching this unfold but how on earth could the coalition possibly have won this?

(It looking like a Coalition win mainly because the ABC panel reminds me of last nights commentary as West Coast rolled over Melbourne).
Looks like the ALP misjudged how much the general public disliked Shorten.
Also by releasing so much policy it made them easy targets and the LNP targetted in on it. Going for the hip pocket of Australian's.

Only problem I have with this is now we will have negative campaigns from here on in. No thought to the future, just beat the other mob.

A successful labor opposition that wins elections can't be both socially and fiscally progressive.

There is some evidence that Labor's platform was easily attacked by the Liberals on scare campaign about tax, but how and where the swings happened is indicative. The most highly socially conservative state of Australia went Liberal. Were they more influenced by the dividend imputation campaign? Maybe. But speaking to a lot of people the past few years, the abiding dislike of Labor from notional swing voters has little to do with their actual policies. It's the belief that they have a crypto-left agenda in line with the Greens, and progressive movements like Change the Date, GetUp, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Extraordinary watching this unfold but how on earth could the coalition possibly have won this?

(It looking like a Coalition win mainly because the ABC panel reminds me of last nights commentary as West Coast rolled over Melbourne).
IMO the key factor was Labor’s big target, which the liberals ran a very effective scare campaign over, which was never really countered by the ALP and the fact that Shorten wasn’t able to actually explain and justify the case for the changes he was proposing.

How? One word - Shorten.
This. The ALP made the mistake after the 2013 election of going with him over Albanese. They probably would have had won the last election with Albanese in charge.

Has now taken them two terms to figure out that Shorten isn’t the messiah.

There is some evidence that Labor's platform was easily attacked by the Liberals on scare campaign about tax, but how and where the swings happened is indicative. The most highly socially conservative state of Australia went Liberal. Were they more influenced by the dividend imputation campaign? Maybe. But speaking to a lot of people the past few years, the abiding dislike of Labor from notional swing voters has little to do with their actual policies. It's the belief that they have a crypto-left agenda in line with the Greens, and progressive movements like Change the Date, GetUp, etc.

Agreed on the latter part.

Labor became a lot less about jobs and the worker.

This. The ALP made the mistake after the 2013 election of going with him over Albanese. They probably would have had won the last election with Albanese in charge.

Has now taken them two terms to figure out that Shorten isn’t the messiah.

I would have happily voted for Albanese. Hopefully Labor do the right thing and make him the new leader.

giphy.gif

Northalives and TigerTime_89 made the argument earlier on in the campaign that the ALP were not negative enough, were too positive, and gave the LNP too much to attack. Sort of like Hewson-lite (hence the minority/weak majority rather than the clear majority Keating enjoyed post election).

Personally, I would have adopted a different strategy, bombarding radio, TV, newspapers, the internet and letterboxes with information about the LNP's (real and perceived) screw-ups. Their instability. Their raising of government debt. The per-capita recession ("it will be a real recession if you vote for the Libs!").

In 2012, Campbell Newman mixed negativity with positivity to good effect, so I would have thrown in a few positive messages ("Tired of corrupt government? Vote 1 ALP for a better Australia").

Also, Annastacia did very well in QLD in 2015 because she and her ALP team engaged in a lot of grass-roots work, including door-knocking. They did well in places like Bundaberg (hardly Melbourne) because of that. I didn't see that from the ALP this campaign. I would have done some of that too, in electorates like Petrie.

Put simply, Scott Morrison's victory surpasses even Keating's for mine. He had even less to work with and fight against than Keating, but he has pulled off the highly unlikely.

I think there is truth to the idea that Shorten had residual baggage from the Rudd/Gillard years, but I think that's been overstated. He ran a negative campaign in 2016 and did quite well, for example. So Shorten wasn't so much the problem as the general strategy.'

EDIT: Hell, on negativity, why not use Abbott's infamous 2013 last-minute pledge to make out that a Morrison government will break any promise they make? Make them look untrustworthy if nothing else.

Last edited:
Agreed on the latter part.

Labor became a lot less about jobs and the worker.
I think they still fundamentally are about the worker, but the fact that few are in unions any more, and our manufacturing base is effectively gone, means the belief that the Labor party are a worker party is diminished. In the past fringe left discussions could be ignored by the electorate because the Labor party had a strong base of members in the party and unions, and it was obvious whose interests the Labor party represented.

Now it isn't, and when you get rallies about changing the date, stories about Hannah Mouncey playing women's footy, the past taint on border control and boat arrivals - without a very strong agenda or extremely unpopular sitting government (obviously the Libs weren't unpopular enough relative to Shorten), there's not much the Labor party can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back