Opinion Considering not renewing your membership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's the thing. Do you honestly believe that no other afl club isn't providing some underhanded deals to keep their star players? I am almost certain this happens to varying degrees at the clubs that can afford to do so. Rich board members/sponsors providing star players with 'opportunities' to enhance their wallet maybe?

I'll be renewing my memberships proudly. I love my club, **** ups and all.
I hated Triggy's attitude and comments previously. Learning he has been a cheating ******* is like throwing petrol on the fire for most of us Jen. Unfortunately he's had too much say down there for too long on issues that really get my goat.

Pulls Bernie over the coals for celebrating a cricket win with his mates.. meanwhile he's been involved with cheating. Get ****ed.
Hangs Rendell out to dry.. ******* campaigner.

Look, I'm clearly emotional about this - and we may yet find things are not as bad as they seem - but if Trigg stays I'd be SHOCKED if we didn't lose members by the thousands.

I'm selfish. I love the team, I love footy. That's all I really care about. Yes, this whole scenario is messed up to the max and I am utterly disappointed in how the AFC handled this from the start. The dishonesty and deceit is somewhat hurtful. However, I bring it back to the basics and it doesn't effect my ability to watch and enjoy games from my seat. Hadn't and wouldn't consider not renewing.

I think a better question is - who will renew if Triggy stays as CEO? (assuming alot of what we now know through the media is correct).

That's the sticking point for me.

When the going gets tough, what you do says a lot about you.

And this doesn't apply to the club? The going is certainly getting tough, and if they don't make the hard decisions (well, getting rid of Trigg should not be a hard decision), what does that say about the club?

Here's the thing. Do you honestly believe that no other afl club isn't providing some underhanded deals to keep their star players? I am almost certain this happens to varying degrees at the clubs that can afford to do so. Rich board members/sponsors providing star players with 'opportunities' to enhance their wallet maybe?

I'll be renewing my memberships proudly. I love my club, **** ups and all.

All clubs have skeletons. The Crows are probably the only ones to have promised to harm themselves at the trade table just to impress a player. One that clearly doesn't respect what had been a proud club to that point.

I am a passionate supporter, when I could only reasonbly attend one final this year ($ydney) I dipped into my savings and went to the Fremantle match with only 30, 000 other supporters. With even less money available I dipped in again and got on the first bus to Melbourne for the Prelim. That is why I am posting on a desktop right now instead of my intended laptop :D . By the time the season starts I will have had enough time to process all that is happening. To think that after engineering a stunning on field revival after losing Bock, Davis and Gunston we have also engineered one of the toughest periods in our history is hard to take.

Have not yet become a member as i lived interstate and financially it was not feasible. However now back in Adelaide and in a position to become a member. This whole fiasco has actually convinced me to become a member. I know that what has happened has tarnished the club and its reputation, we will get over it. I don't think any club is without its skeletons.
Its just that our club has decided to come clean (although at gunpoint). I have not seen too many other clubs do the same. The club coming clean, is the first step to its restoration. The fact that the club was a little naughty (ok a lot naughty) and took a risk, shows that we are not as predictable and crobotic as people once believed. I am sure that the club will take whatever happens, on the chin and move on. I am also sure that the people responsible will be held accountable. The uproar of the fan base on this issue just proves the depth of passion that is felt for the club. The immense anger from some posters who want to cancel is only in line with the depth of passion they have for the club. Reading all these posts proves to me the club is worth backing. Regardless of all the drama, I feel that this saga will kick start us for 2013.

I will always support the players, but the club would not be getting any of my money until the management gets its collective backside into gear - starting with handing us Trigg's head on a platter, along with anyone else who was even partially responsible for the Tippett fiasco.

I'll always support the players as well hence why I will be renewing and going to games.

But no way will I be putting in an extra cent beyond that if changes aren't made. No buying of merchandise, raffle tickets etc. Won't be volunteering for selling raffle tickets either. There are other options to make a financial stand for me. I do appreciate you are in a different position not living here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Trigg stays alot of people will probably not renew their membership, my wife included. Someone early in this thread said "storm in a teacup". I think it's abit more serious than that. In the eyes of the football world, the AFC brand has been seriously damaged by the arrogance/incompetence of the Tippett camp, Reid and especially Trigg.

Yep.

This is the question.

We're all fans, all love the club and will probably all sign up as members again (except Vader).

So how to we do that but make sure that the club does not continue to **** up?

If this blows over, we cop a fine and some draft penalties, then we put it behind us and move on with 2013, some important lessons learned... blah blah blah. And all the usual suspects are still there sacking key football staff over nothing, berating fans, and castigating players over minor indiscretions, how will you feel?

Everyone who is saying "s**t thread" and going nuts with Jenny's roll eyes smilies is just assuming that Trigg and possibly others will be sacked. Well, we'll wait and see on that one. I can see us tipping the bucket on John Reid and making him the fall guy. The others were just unfortunate to be lumped with his bad decision.

If the club (admin) can s**t all over us and we still dutifully cough up the dough next year, where is the incentive for them to improve? There needs to be some consequence for their actions.

I've often wondered whether Adelaide fans (or south australian fans in general) need to form some sort of lobby group to protect their interests in South Australia. The reality is despite being in what should be a position of strength in the AFL, we're treated with nothing but contempt by those in power.

:thumbsu:
Awaiting the AFL findings and depending on that, I hope the appropriate actions are taken..
This isn't some deliberate systematic rorting.. A couple of individuals made some bad bad errors of judgement it appears on one player who was being a prick about it at the time expansion clubs were around with millions of $$$ everywhere.. Doesn't excuse it, stupid..

Felt the huge pressure to keep Tippett, desperate times makes desperate people do desperate things..

And I will continue supporting the club naturally.. It's in the blood :)
Really good point....I got the impression from Chapman's blurb, that the administration felt a lot of pressure to re-sign Tippett at any cost - and the expansion clubs were a key issue. With the Bock episode, and subsequently Davis, no wonder these sort of things were considered. Like I've posted elsewhere, I'm sure incentives outside of the actual contract are often on the table when trying to keep your key players around. I trust the AFL will seek all clubs to open up their books as Adelaide have done to ensure everyone is all above board. A good example is Travis Cloke - I'd be certain Collingwood have offered incentives outside of his contract to keep him.

For mine....the timing of the membership renewal (endorsed by Triggy no less) is probably not ideal, and I'll await answers...but it won't affect my support moving forward.

If Trigg stays alot of people will probably not renew their membership, my wife included. Someone early in this thread said "storm in a teacup". I think it's abit more serious than that. In the eyes of the football world, the AFC brand has been seriously damaged by the arrogance/incompetence of the Tippett camp, Reid and especially Trigg.

That was me who called it a storm in a teacup, but that was before I heard about the alleged $200,000 in extra payments outside the contract. So much for a "gentleman's agreement" to trade.

If that's true, heads need to roll. As long as they do, I'll renew my membership.

If this is all true, and if Trigg is still there after the dust settles, well, I don't know what I'll do.

I've often wondered whether Adelaide fans (or south australian fans in general) need to form some sort of lobby group to protect their interests in South Australia. The reality is despite being in what should be a position of strength in the AFL, we're treated with nothing but contempt by those in power.
Maybe some form of supporter group could have a seat on the board?

2012 was one of the most enjoyable seasons of football I can remember. Players like Dangerfield and Walker are two of the most exciting players in the clubs history. Please keep this in mind when you are considering your membership for 2013.

Not buying your membership will have zero effect on John Reid or Steven Trigg.

Its funny this whole fiasco really didn't hit home with me until I was driving home last and to be honest it really made me quite sad and disappointed in the club. The first time I have in our existence. I also have to be honest and say I did question my membership for a few minutes there, but came to the following conclusion.
I go to the footy every week and support this club for those 22 bloke who take that field and put their heart and soul out on that field. I don't go to support some corporate behind a desk who is supposedly calling the shots. If I, and others, decide not to renew, all it does will only take money away from the club which will make it harder for the players to keep the services they need to perform at that elite level. Eventually it may lead to the possibility of us losing players.
So from all this I am 90% sure I will still renew. I want to give the chance to the club to take a course of action to rectify this as well as I am 99.9% sure Trigg will be gone. If he is not......... I may be considering it again but once again it all depends on the clubs subsequent actions.

Maybe some form of supporter group could have a seat on the board?

A lot of the board members bled for the club before they were appointed to the board. Its just they are have corporate experience behind them. We already have supporters on the board.

I support the team more than the organisation.. Of course my support won't change next year.

I am sure that this same thread would of been made in 2009 had we not been able to keep Tippett.

I really don’t see the point in not renewing tbh.

Sure I'm gutted, and angry like most of you about what on the balance of probabilities looks to be a major farkup by the AFC and we are likely to get severely punished by the AFL, but when I break it down to what actually matters to me, the only reason I pay my membership is to watch the Crows play football.

Yes I expect my club to be run professionally and ethically according to the laws of the game but for those considering not renewing, can you honestly say that is why you pay your membership and that’s what gives you value for money.

With 2013 shaping up to be a great year on the field, I know I am going to get my money’s worth again regardless of the cleanout of the AFC Administration which will be done in due course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back