List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Finding it challenging to see how we cut enough players to use 4 picks at the main draft, a mid season pick and at least one rookie pick. So that is six players to cut just to use the minimum # picks in the next these 2024 drafts. These being:

24 Mid Season draft - 1 pick
24 Main draft - 4 picks
24 Rookie draft - 1 pick

PLUS bring in say 1 trade and 1 free agent.

And how we get four picks in the main draft as we don't hold our 3rd.

Retirements / Delistings

Gaff
J Jones
Rotham
Witherden
Trew (R)
Baker ? (R)

That leaves the likes of H Edwards, J Culley, L Edwards, Jamieson and J Williams needing to be cut or traded to bring in any trades or free agents. Not expecting too much interest in trades for these players unless they have a huge late season impact).

From this list I would only cut L Edwards. The other three may improve, Jamieson a sneaky chance of being good IMO.

What about other trade options of role players? Recently read that several clubs were interested in Waterman before he signed for two more years. Wonder who they were? Petruccelle is again popping up and showing a bit. Kicked a bag of 3 and took a nice mark in the goal square. If he has another couple of good games and kicks a couple more bags and gets to 25 goals he may attract a nibble. Im talking about picks around 25 to 40 here, not 1st rounders.

Now we haven't had many young players who have asked to be traded however I can see that changing in the next couple of trade periods. Opposition clubs will be sniffing around trying to lure kids back home. The likes of Barnett this trade period may come into play to land that extra top 30 pick we need. Not saying we are pushing kids out but other teams come poaching.

Looking at free agents who could instantly improve us.

D Parfitt (27) in for L Edwards. - Geelong in transition and have plenty of kids coming through.
B Keys (27) in for Gaff - Crows need to change something and drop long termers for the kids.

Both plug that 27 year old void we have in our list. To get both we obviously are offering a similar incentive as we did with Hunt. 4 years I recall on decent but not huge money. Likely a front loaded deal.

How we get extra picks is the question. Splitting our first I'm not convinced on ATM.
Harry Edwards doesn't have it .

Its like he runs around with cement boots on . He may turn into a decent WAFL defender in time but for a guy his size in the wafl he should be dominant but he just can't keep up on a lead .

He may get a reprieve due to gov being old and barrass ****ed back but it feels like he is mcinnes mk2 .

Its like he runs around with cement boots on . He may turn into a decent WAFL defender in time but for a guy his size in the wafl he should be dominant but he just can't keep up on a lead .

He may get a reprieve due to gov being old and barrass ****ed back but it feels like he is mcinnes mk2 .
Yep. Delist and rookie at absolute best if we miss on Buss and Bazzo keeps projecting as a third tall. Would prefer just delist. Need to come out of the draft/trade with a young KPD.

I feel like we need to keep on the list enough KPDs to cover both Gov and Barrass missing, and im not counting Rotham as a KPD. HEdwards is at least big enough to sit in the goal square on the huge KPFs, while our alternatives are young.
Even if we get Buss I think id prefer to hold HEdwards on the list, he could be worth a 3rd round pick to a team desperate for a KPD too

Just really hard to attract jet Melbourne players to WA.
Lucky those two are WA players.

If we had English and Baker agreeing to come to us verbally for now, that would be a little bonus to tell other prospective recruits. Would make us a little more appealing

Yep. Delist and rookie at absolute best if we miss on Buss and Bazzo keeps projecting as a third tall. Would prefer just delist. Need to come out of the draft/trade with a young KPD.
I feel he gets a 1 year deal just because of the uncertainty of barrass and GOV .

Bazzo also missing the first half of the season in an annoyance because we don't get to see where he is at in his development

I feel jamo has already passed HEdwards just due to his natural athletic abilities required at AFL level .

But i feel if we were to go into next year with GOV , barrass , jamo , busslinger and bazzo I think Hedward and rotham are gone

I feel he gets a 1 year deal just because of the uncertainty of barrass and GOV .

Bazzo also missing the first half of the season in an annoyance because we don't get to see where he is at in his development

I feel jamo has already passed HEdwards just due to his natural athletic abilities required at AFL level .

But i feel if we were to go into next year with GOV , barrass , jamo , busslinger and bazzo I think Hedward and rotham are gone
Fair call, but we need to cut at least 6 players from the main list and I just don’t see how HEdwards is not one of those 6. I agree we would not lose much by offering him a rookie 1 year last chance saloon for cover which means Baker and Trew are gone (which I’m absolutely fine with).

I’m actually quietly confident we’ll get Buss and that we’ll take a KPD at the draft (hopefully Mraz/O’Farrell depending on splitting our 1R) so I agree with you if that happens HEdwards and Rotham are gone for sure which is a shame because both had potential and showed some good early signs.

Curious as to why people are so keen to cut Baker from the list. He was always going to be a long term project so I’d be happy to retain him for one more year provided he shows further development this year

Are you saying the Hawks paid a second round pick for a guy who was fringe at best at Gold Coast(Chol), but we cant get a pick in the 20s for BW?
Imagine what a club like the Demons would pay for a guy who can be a foil for JVR and chop out Gawn as he gets on in age, he is already 32. A player like BW would be the perfect pickup for them to have a go again in 2025 to help prolong Gawns career.

Carlton doesnt want Mckay to be rucking, Geelong has Blicavs/Hawkins/Stanley all about to go into a retirement home, Saints need somebody to play alongside King and to give Marshall a rest, the Pies havent had much in the way of tall forwards in years and Cox is 33 now, so theyll need a ruck/fwd to help Darcy Cameron, and the list goes on.

Yes you could just play some spud as a ruck/fwd but clubs have demonstrated that they really dont want to do that. Gawn and Marshall are prime examples.

A player like BW would be in high demand id imagine, first round pick not out of the question at all
You keep mentioning chol.

But at the time of his trade he was still contracted and only one season removed from a 44 goal season.

And the pick they got is likely to be around pick 35-40 come draft time.

you need to take your yellow and blue tinted glasses off, a 1st rnd pick is absoloutely out of the question.

We're talking about a 2nd ruck who has no runs on the board in terms of forward craft.

unless he improves dramatically from here, you need to lower your expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curious as to why people are so keen to cut Baker from the list. He was always going to be a long term project so I’d be happy to retain him for one more year provided he shows further development this year
Purely list space.
Currently have 44/44 spaces occupied
Fair to say we’ll find a LTI and take a selection in the MSD making 44 + 1 LTI.
37 Main list + 8 rookies
Assuming at the end of the year we cut 6 from main list, draft 3-4, trade in 2, elevate at least one of Culley/Maric that’s leaving the list pretty tight assuming Dewar and Livingstone stay. We’ll want to have at least one spot for for the end of year rookie draft and presumably 2025 MSD. That would mean Trew and Baker have to go and possibly even one of Dewar and Rawlinson.

In saying that if we don’t land any trade targets and don’t split a pick or trade future picks into this year then I agree there’s a spot for him.

I am getting similar feelings about H Edwards but tall defenders are in such high demand. Im holding out he sorted out his injury issues and may come good. His pace and agility is an issue.

Ben Miller is playing full back and OOC. Wonder if our new recruiting manager rates him still? Miller seems much quicker and agile.

You keep mentioning chol.

But at the time of his trade he was still contracted and only one season removed from a 44 goal season.

And the pick they got is likely to be around pick 35-40 come draft time.

you need to take your yellow and blue tinted glasses off, a 1st rnd pick is absoloutely out of the question.

We're talking about a 2nd ruck who has no runs on the board in terms of forward craft.

unless he improves dramatically from here, you need to lower your expectations.

Bailey was jumping all over Grundy last game and his tap work at centre bounces is very good. Around the ground not as effective as his jump is impeded, but he is a very good centre square ruck when allowed to jump.

He had a breakout season last year.

Go onto fantasy and look at all the rucks currently playing. After about the top 8 it starts getting speculative. Rucks are rare commodities that take time to develop. Hence why they are worth more at the trade table.

He is worth more than a 2nd rounder. Simply due to demand and supply.

Last edited:
I’ve cut and pasted that list but I’m certain 180cm is incorrect and that he’s 187cm. Have you (or anyone) had a look at/have any thoughts on any of the following?

Pick 10-25
O’Farrell (KPD)
Travaglia (HBF)
Hotton (Wing)
Mraz (KPD)

Pick 25-35
Retschko (Wing)
Gerryn (KPF) WA

Pick 50+
Van Der Struyf (Wing) WA
Clancy Dennis (KPD) WA

The first group in particular are the kids I think would fit our list if we split our first pick and also with our 2R. The WA boys could also end up rookie picks.

Believe Travaglia is one of the higher rated rebounding defenders with skills. One to watch.

Hotton one of the more promising wingers.

Sounds like they will pony up the market rate here.

Looking at that Lions team last nigh on paper they have quite a few older blokes with their best behind them and several players with question marks to can they make it to the top level, aka premiership quality players.

They need to win one this season IMO as those older types will start falling away. Daniher, Zorko, Neale, Fletcher, McCarthy, Cameron and Berry (shoulders) all have their best football behind them. Raynor never has reached pick #1 output and if Harris Andrews was injured the defense would crumble, for the Lions he is more important than our McGovern.

Will be interesting how they go this season and if any players start looking elsewhere for long term security if the window starts to close.

Last edited:
Believe Travaglia is one of the higher rated rebounding defenders with skills. One to watch.

Hotton one of the more promising wingers.
Spot on. He’s just been added to academy squad because of his early season form and as Phil said, would be in the mix for our 2R or a R1 pick split. Huge area of need for us. Hotton also just added to the academy and would probably be close to leading the Morrish medal at the moment but again as Phil said disposal needs tidying up as poor kicking is not something we can really afford to be drafting. Will check out the game this weekend with considerable interest.

AsterixTheGaul, Monocle, briztoon, Eastcoasteagle, and WCE_phil, Do you have a top 2 that we should consider in this space?

Far too early for to have a top 2, still 6 or so weeks to go.

But Noah Howes 196 cm from SA, has been impressive and key forwards are always a point of interest for me.
I will be tracking his development at South Adelaide with interest.
He has been picked in the SA Under 18 Squad as an overage player to participate in the Championships latter this year.

So in hindsight if ladder positions remain, the best offer we got for Harley was Hawks pick 5, F1 (3) and Brockman. I’d say as it stands O’Sullivan and Smillie will go 1-2, which would likely leave Jagga pick 3 so the question becomes should we have Traded Harley for Curtin, Brockman and Jagga?

IMO…
Absolutely not.

So in hindsight if ladder positions remain, the best offer we got for Harley was Hawks pick 5, F1 (3) and Brockman. I’d say as it stands O’Sullivan and Smillie will go 1-2, which would likely leave Jagga pick 3 so the question becomes should we have Traded Harley for Curtin, Brockman and Jagga?

IMO…
Absolutely not.

Yep the offers were nowhere near it. Something the Victorian media mind can’t comprehend.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back