List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
If they’re going to struggle to meet the minimum salary cap, they could do something like re-sign Oscar Allen and/or Brady Hough (both currently expiring end of 2025) on front ended deals.

I’d rather give the money we have to spend to players like that.
Yeah fair enough was pretty light hearted take

When your losing often you wanna change up the mix you start looking for obvious areas for upside , a def mid in our current mode for mine has less claims than a kid that is showing he has some tricks ,,I still believe tho that he would be very good for a young midfield , we recruited TT and hopper to be our experience , I suspect that Clarke has a plan to get baker and JG is part of it as they’re tight
Baker sure but Graham just sounds like his manager is using us to get a better contract.
Didn't graham try get to port 2 years ago then they dumped him last minute to get Horne-Fransis ?

I’m not because it was mentioned on Gettable. Dev for a 5th round pick swap? We still need depth and players in that age range. I’d be doing it, plus on less money then what we offered

I’m not because it was mentioned on Gettable. Dev for a 5th round pick swap? We still need depth and players in that age range. I’d be doing it, plus on less money then what we offered
We barely brushed the surface on the Dev situation last year so a deep dive would seem appropriate.

Baker turns 27 next January.

In that age group - we have Waterman, Witherden, Jones and Rotham. I think we have decent coverage in that age group. Besides, this cohort is also not likely to be playing in our next flag. Our big gaps are 2 to 4 years younger than that. These were the lost years with the Kelly deal. For those turning 23, 24 and 25 in 2025, Oscar Allen is the only player I believe is in our best 22. If we were to bring in players to meet age profile needs, it would be the likes of Warner, Rivers, Robertson, Carol, etc.

I would not be wanting to split our R1 pick (likely to be 3 or 4) for Baker.

Is he worth our R2 pick (likely early 20's), my trade priority would be go for Busslinger. Dogs do not have a R1 this year - their first pick is early 30's and then mid 40's. They have a good selection of talls and Croft is only 1 year younger than Buss and is looking solid so far.

Nothing like West Coast contracts to other clubs failed prospects.

If you haven’t kept up the circumstances have changed.
Most circumstances would change year to year I would have thought. I’m happy to take the last year of Dev’s contract if they want to salary dump him and keep McCluggage. Their R3 or Hawks R4, that they own should do it. Enter briztoon.

If they’re going to struggle to meet the minimum salary cap, they could do something like re-sign Oscar Allen and/or Brady Hough (both currently expiring end of 2025) on front ended deals.

I’d rather give the money we have to spend to players like that.
Front ending contracts can be dangerous as players get used to the money

Good point but I think overpaying players to meet the salary floor would be worse than a front ended contract. Oscar should get 6 years that will take him close to the end of his career so it shouldn’t change too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will be watching Sid Draper closely when he comes back for the carnival. His point of difference is his kicking. What are the Crows likely to do? I can see them finishing in the 9 to 13 range on the ladder meaning they will be holding a pick around 7 to 10. Would they come hard if we are to have pick 3/4. It is looking like Smillie and O'Sullivan then daylight and while there will be good options at that level, I can see a pretty even cluster. Would we take pick 7/10 and their future first (I expect Crows scrape into finals next year) for 3/4 and our future second? I'd probably want a bit more like their F3. Crows would be patting themselves getting 2 Adelaide home grown first rounders.

A long way to go but 7-9 could get us Moraes, Trainor, Travaglia or Hotton or a KPD (just to piss off a certain poster). Plus we get two first rounders in 2025. Alternatively, Gold Coast could be interested in trading one of their R1 this years (I expect both will be around 7 to 10) for the Crows R1 in 2025. We can chuck in one of their much loved R4 picks if need be.

Depends how it is done. I would not be doing a Bradley Hill front ended contract.

If you add in $400k in the September to December period and then take out $400k over the January to April period the following year, it is more like a prepaid salary. It will have no impact on on tax payable. Money is in the right calendar year for salary cap and in the same year for the ATO.

I will be watching Sid Draper closely when he comes back for the carnival. His point of difference is his kicking. What are the Crows likely to do? I can see them finishing in the 9 to 13 range on the ladder meaning they will be holding a pick around 7 to 10. Would they come hard if we are to have pick 3/4. It is looking like Smillie and O'Sullivan then daylight and while there will be good options at that level, I can see a pretty even cluster. Would we take pick 7/10 and their future first (I expect Crows scrape into finals next year) for 3/4 and our future second? I'd probably want a bit more like their F3. Crows would be patting themselves getting 2 Adelaide home grown first rounders.

A long way to go but 7-9 could get us Moraes, Trainor, Travaglia or Hotton or a KPD (just to piss off a certain poster). Plus we get two first rounders in 2025. Alternatively, Gold Coast could be interested in trading one of their R1 this years (I expect both will be around 7 to 10) for the Crows R1 in 2025. We can chuck in one of their much loved R4 picks if need be.
Big fan of both Trainor (great form, position of need) and Moraes (seems a top 5 talent, going cheaper). Obviously, I'd like both.

After hearing Luke Trainor on Gettable pretty much saying he wants to go to North Melbourne I reckon they will move heaven and earth to get him (GCS Lachie Weller areas). They will want Smillie with pick 1 but then I’d propose something like:

WCE OUT: Pick 3 (Trainor), F2
WCE IN: F1 (NM), Hardeman, pick 21

I’d then take the North F1, R4 and F4 to GCS and offer that for their 3 x R1s given their 4 academy players next year. No doubt haggling might be needed there.

Hit the draft with 7,10,20,21,23 and bring Riley home.

Jack Darling wants to extend his stay with us apparently. Is he out of contract the end of next season?

Averaging 1.3 goals across your career at norf as a non tall is a bloody good effort .

He is also playing further up the ground including centre bounces now he has finally built a tank .

Recon he will flourish away from norf
Goal average says more about how North has played him more than anything else.

Most circumstances would change year to year I would have thought. I’m happy to take the last year of Dev’s contract if they want to salary dump him and keep McCluggage. Their R3 or Hawks R4, that they own should do it. Enter briztoon.

Can I suggest the banhammer for this user for actually tagging that peanut in a post?

He doesn’t need tagging, a flashing light goes off above his head when Dev Robertson is mentioned on this forum.

Can I suggest the banhammer for this user for actually tagging that peanut in a post?

He doesn’t need tagging, a flashing light goes off above his head when Dev Robertson is mentioned on this forum.
Blame Pete. Can’t wait for the Dev chat.

After hearing Luke Trainor on Gettable pretty much saying he wants to go to North Melbourne I reckon they will move heaven and earth to get him (GCS Lachie Weller areas). They will want Smillie with pick 1 but then I’d propose something like:

WCE OUT: Pick 3 (Trainor), F2
WCE IN: F1 (NM), Hardeman, pick 21

I’d then take the North F1, R4 and F4 to GCS and offer that for their 3 x R1s given their 4 academy players next year. No doubt haggling might be needed there.

Hit the draft with 7,10,20,21,23 and bring Riley home.
Is this the new "They're not gonna pick him"?

Why on earth would North give up that much to slide back 2 picks??

That trade makes zero sense for North.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back