List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Do you honestly think we have the courage to stay true to that. We have very very very weak people when it comes to trading and drafting. I cant imagine a scenario where we dont bend in it Richmonds demands. Its the way we are

Haven’t we just brought in a new CEO and a new list manager?

Haven’t we just brought in a new CEO and a new list manager?
Yep but a bit beatdown with the 10 years of failure I suppose so am going in with that negative mindset

I dont have much faith in the new lot changing path myself and believe its going to be much of the same. Prove me wrong please!!!

HBF and wing are the easiest position to draft for. Up there with a forward pocket. I don't know why people are stressing. Use later capital on them
HBF is basically the second most important position on the ground these days. Sure you can draft a mediocre one for cheap, but you get a lethal distributor running off half back and they will set up goals

Yep but a bit beatdown with the 10 years of failure I suppose so am going in with that negative mindset

I dont have much faith in the new lot changing path myself and believe its going to be much of the same. Prove me wrong please!!!
Acting like a kent at the draft table will offer short-term gain for long-term pain. Sure, trade hard, but if you screw clubs over, it will be remembered.

HBF is basically the second most important position on the ground these days. Sure you can draft a mediocre one for cheap, but you get a lethal distributor running off half back and they will set up goals

This was old mate Bondy's argument when we would draft HBFs every year instead of midfielders. If the elite mids are gone, draft HBFs.

Does make sense but we're in the middle of a period where we do have access to the elite mids.

Pick 19 would have been handy last year.

Will be interesting to see how we draft after our first pick this year, which has to be an elite midfielder.

This was old mate Bondy's argument when we would draft HBFs every year instead of midfielders. If the elite mids are gone, draft HBFs.

Does make sense but we're in the middle of a period where we do have access to the elite mids.

Pick 19 would have been handy last year.

Will be interesting to see how we draft after our first pick this year, which has to be an elite midfielder.
The game has changed in recent years to make HBFs much more important. Dont need to use a top 5 pick on one, but first round should be where we are looking. Defensive ability isnt so important for this player, speed and kicking ability are the two main traits. Outside mids with pace and elite ball use could also translate to a HBF

A good HBF basically controls the game these days. Whitfield is probably the prototype of what we should be looking for

I think Dodoro at Essendon is exhibit A for the argument that always wanting to ‘win’ a trade will eventually bite you on the arse

Port are a club that is also quite aggressive in trade negotiations and have been quite successful at getting players in for unders. It remains to be seen if they pay a price for that later

Wells at Geelong has been a master at ending up on the right side of trades without the negativity attached to someone like Dodoro. He’s been grooming Andrew Mackie who has shown an inclination to be a bit too aggressive

Our strong point is that if we chase a player we usually get them to the club which I’m sure helps with player managers telling their clients we’re reliable in that sense. The downside to that is we usually look like we’ve overpaid although the acquisitions of Brockman, Witherden and SPS in recent years we’ve given up not much (and probably rightly so)

Another big game for Tobie Travaglia yesterday despite Bendigo losing to Northern.
Tobie had 31 disposals, 4 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s and kicked 2 goals in an exceptional outing.
Utilised very much as an attacking defender Tobie was given licence to set off into the centre at nearly every bounce down, whilst also starting at times on ball.
The most noticeable thing about Tobie's game yesterday is that virtually everyone on the field was ailing in the last quarter. Whereas Tobie was still absolutely chopping up the field basically at top speed. His endurance is extremely impressive.
If you gave me the choice between him and Zak Johnson (who played in a similar role to Tobie for the Knights yesterday) I would say that Tobie is a level above (as he is faster and a better contested mark than Zak),
Tobie Travaglia 8.jpg
Tobie Travaglia 9.jpg
Tobie Travaglia 7.jpg

I think Dodoro at Essendon is exhibit A for the argument that always wanting to ‘win’ a trade will eventually bite you on the arse

Port are a club that is also quite aggressive in trade negotiations and have been quite successful at getting players in for unders. It remains to be seen if they pay a price for that later

Wells at Geelong has been a master at ending up on the right side of trades without the negativity attached to someone like Dodoro. He’s been grooming Andrew Mackie who has shown an inclination to be a bit too aggressive

Our strong point is that if we chase a player we usually get them to the club which I’m sure helps with player managers telling their clients we’re reliable in that sense. The downside to that is we usually look like we’ve overpaid although the acquisitions of Brockman, Witherden and SPS in recent years we’ve given up not much (and probably rightly so)

The only time we have overpaid to get a deal done is Kelly.

That was because we didn’t get the deal done the year before, and he has a family with special needs kids and needed to get it done so it didn’t hang in the balance all week like it did the year before.

There was alot of pressure on us to get that deal done, and we did, for a high cost.

We were firm (rightly so) on SPS when Carlton wanted our pick in 30’s and with Hawthorn on Brockman.

Even going back as far as Yeo, people were unhappy we gave up 28 and not 31, but 28 was a steal in itself.

The only other bad deal where we folded was probably Wellingham, who ended up pick 18 which became Grundy.

There’s rarely tension in trades, 90% of them get done without too much hassle, but when it comes to it, we don’t always bend over either.

Small sample size as we haven’t been huge traders, but we are firm when we need to be With an exception for Kelly.

Another big game for Tobie Travaglia yesterday despite Bendigo losing to Northern.
Tobie had 31 disposals, 4 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s and kicked 2 goals in an exceptional outing.
Utilised very much as an attacking defender Tobie was given licence to set off into the centre at nearly every bounce down, whilst also starting at times on ball.
The most noticeable thing about Tobie's game yesterday is that virtually everyone on the field was ailing in the last quarter. Whereas Tobie was still absolutely chopping up the field basically at top speed. His endurance is extremely impressive.
If you gave me the choice between him and Zak Johnson (who played in a similar role to Tobie for the Knights yesterday) I would say that Tobie is a level above (as he is faster and a better contested mark than Zak),
View attachment 1987908
View attachment 1987909
View attachment 1987910
That’s our man right there, thanks for the great analysis. Split 3 into a top 8 mid and Tobie. Done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can look over the club’s last six months and say “they aren’t willing to make changes”, there’s just no possible way to argue with you because you’re not living in the same reality as everyone else.

If you can look over the club’s last six months and say “they aren’t willing to make changes”, there’s just no possible way to argue with you because you’re not living in the same reality as everyone else.
Oh I mean significant changes sorry. Not denying they make pedantic irrelevant ones a hell of alot

Jilted ex-lover is as jilted ex-lover does.

Oh I mean significant changes sorry. Not denying they make pedantic irrelevant ones a hell of alot

New CEO.

New list manager.

New attitude (for the most part, I’m still annoyed they’ve gone back to obfuscating injuries)

Went out and hired a high profile AFLW coach rather than just appointing someone already in the footy department like every other AFLW coach we’ve had.

Etc etc.

But Pyke didn’t tear up either Simpsons contract or the MRP turf within a fortnight of getting in the chair, so none of the above counts.

The game has changed in recent years to make HBFs much more important. Dont need to use a top 5 pick on one, but first round should be where we are looking. Defensive ability isnt so important for this player, speed and kicking ability are the two main traits. Outside mids with pace and elite ball use could also translate to a HBF

A good HBF basically controls the game these days. Whitfield is probably the prototype of what we should be looking for

We're likely to end up with pick 1, 2 or 3.

I'm not sure what we will be able to split one of those picks for, but I wouldn't want to pass on a top 3 mid regardless. We did it a couple of years ago for Ginbey and Hewett, jury still out on that one. We held onto Pick 1 last year and no one is saying that was a mistake.

Every draft is different but my inclination when we have a top 3 pick is to use that pick on the elite mid (or JK clone if one is available).

If we had something like pick 14 then yeah go the elite HBF.

New CEO.

New list manager.

New attitude (for the most part, I’m still annoyed they’ve gone back to obfuscating injuries)

Went out and hired a high profile AFLW coach rather than just appointing someone already in the footy department like every other AFLW coach we’ve had.

Etc etc.

But Pyke didn’t tear up either Simpsons contract or the MRP turf within a fortnight of getting in the chair, so none of the above counts.

New attitude as a change says it all.... You cant even define the changes made so just create some buzz word.

New CEO and New List manager yes. Actual cultural changes. Umm id go watch the first half effort last week and let you come back to me on that one

New attitude as a change says it all.... You cant even define the changes made so just create some buzz word.

New CEO and New List manager yes. Actual cultural changes. Umm id go watch the first half effort last week and let you come back to me on that one

It was an all encompassing point. If you want more specific examples of how the club has become generally more open and transparent I can list them out.

You pointing to one fizzer of a half of football in an overall period of five or six weeks of much improved results says it all… I’d argue that the fact the team fought back, minimized the damage in the second half and actually won the last term, when last year they would have rolled over and gone down by 18 goals, is actually evidence of the improved attitude. If I’m allowed to use that word.

Acting like a kent at the draft table will offer short-term gain for long-term pain. Sure, trade hard, but if you screw clubs over, it will be remembered.

Yep, all those clubs that screwed us previously are shaking in their boots about what we are going to do to them!

Port, Blues :) ......... your time is coming soon, in a little while, before long, one day, in a year or 2, when the time is right, when you (and we) least expect it!!!!

It was an all encompassing point. If you want more specific examples of how the club has become generally more open and transparent I can list them out.

You pointing to one fizzer of a half of football in an overall period of five or six weeks of much improved results says it all… I’d argue that the fact the team fought back, minimized the damage in the second half and actually won the last term, when last year they would have rolled over and gone down by 18 goals, is actually evidence of the improved attitude. If I’m allowed to use that word.
Cartwheeling over losing by 70 points instead of 170 is too low a base for me to be excited by.

Id point out to the absolute trashheap that is the WAFL team, the minimal change in our injury management, the poor pre-season and then the grace of good luck that saved us from terrible decisiosn such as trading a top 3 in this draft for Curtin and giving Deven Robertson a big contract when he is very not good.

If you take out McGovern and Yeos AA like seasons, Reids impact and then actually look at everything else, its still a basketcase

Remove this Banner Ad

Back